5 men kick in the door armed with shotguns

This is a discussion on 5 men kick in the door armed with shotguns within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by atctimmy I would die like a viking. At first I laughed but its probably true. In this scenario it time to fight ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 5 men kick in the door armed with shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I would die like a viking.
    At first I laughed but its probably true. In this scenario it time to fight like hell and probably go down with the ship.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

That's why I have steel reinforced doors with steel reinforced door jams, and 3 inch screws on the hinges.

I also have two dogs who are excellent alarms.

Since I usually have a hi-capacity semi-auto on my person or within arms reach along with my LCP in my pocket, the lead would have been flying fast and furiously as soon as the door got kicked in. Not sure all of them would have made it in through the fatal funnel.
    atctimmy likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    This is the reason why my front yard is full of claymore mines.

^^^^^^^I'm going one step furthur^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm puttin' some of these in the front yard, AND the back yard!!!!!

Gotta go down swinging on this one.
    Take as many of them out ASAP with the element of suprise.
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    They'll find what's left of me lying the in living room in a pile of brass

MY dog is not big but makes one hell of a racquet when he hears a noise outside that is not familiar. He has a bark three times his size. My handgun is never out of arms reach. My house is small enough I can fight to my own shotgun or AR.

But yeah I'm gonna be a vortex of violence until I go down with the ship.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Looks like this story is from Uganda.
    They moved back to Oklahoma by the time this occurred. Besides, the police reponse doesn't sound third world.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

One more reason I prefer a multi-story home where I don't have to live on the ground floor... I'll have a few more seconds to act after the door gets crashed in. BGs can take what they want from the first floor, but they'll have to come up a flight of stairs with a 90 degree turn halfway up before they can get to us. No, the bedroom isn't "secure" in any sense, but it is well-provisioned with defensive arms.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The only real chance I'd have in that scenario would be to try and funnel them down the main hall towards my bedroom and let's my AK's notorious over-penetration work to my advantage. Even then a whole lot of me blindly hoping bullets towards the intruders.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

VIP Member
    5 guys with guns in my living room....great kill zone from my master bedroom door looking down the hall that comes from the living room, their only path to me and my family
    and like everyone else said....early warning...dogs, alarm (even if its unmonitored and just blasts a siren)

I'm looking into getting a suppressor on my Home AR-15 for the wife or I to deploy in the house, I figure with the new SD rounds and its ability to punch through most body armor, why not just in case the dirtbags are packing armor

I need some 1/4 plate to put in my closet, on the door, and the wall for my safe room it could be cosmetically covered
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

if this would happen to anybody (excluding Chuck Norris) there is a 99.999% chance that you would be toast, BUT, there is always that .0001% chance that you might come out of it still standing
    oakchas likes this.

I have a thermal front doorway alarm and a dog,as soon as it triggers more than once I know it ain't a stray cat or dog,draw my 1911 as I move to acquire my AR15 with 60 rounds attached and take up a defensive position in my bedroom where they have to come down a fatal funnel
    I really hope it ain't a buncha girl scouts selling cookies I'm a sucker for thin mints
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    if this would happen to anybody (excluding Chuck Norris) there is a 99.999% chance that you would be toast, BUT, there is always that .0001% chance that you might come out of it still standing
    I'm going to say B.S. on that assumption.

First of all, no one is just kicking in my front, back or side doors. I would guesstimate it would take at least 40 blows with a battering ram at the minimum.

By that time, I could stroll to my closet, get my WWII vintage flame thrower, slip out a side window and run to the gas station to fill it up with gasoline, run to Dollar General and get a few tubs of Vaseline to mix and get back home in time to slip back in the window and greet them as they are just breaking through.

Okay, all kidding aside, by the time they break down the door, I'm well prepared with just about any weapon I choose to use.

Whether it's the AR-15 with three 30 round mags of Hornady TAP and three mags of Lake City SS109's; the Mossberg 590 A1 (which has 20 rounds of 00 Buck and slugs mounted on the gun and in the tube) or any one of my hi-capacity pistols, I'm pretty prepared to repel any group of intruders, be it two of them or ten of them. Pile two or three of them up inside the threshold of the door and the others start to have a hard time climbing over the bodies.

I just bought this house in February and I spent a lot of money upgrading the deadbolt locks, steel lined door jams, hinges & strike plates with 3" screws, and replaced two doors with steel doors. Hopefully, by this fall, or next summer by the latest, I'll have 3M security film on all my front windows, which includes two large picture windows in front (living room and family room) and one additional large picture window on the side (family room).

Now you can call me paranoid, but the 3M security film also protects from UV solar rays and helps cool your house and prevents the sun from fading your drapes. Also, when they get discouraged from trying repeatedly to kick in the door, it will discourage them from just breaking out the front windows and entering that way.

It's not fool proof or impenetrable, but it allows me much more time to prepare to defend. After 15 years in the fire service and 10 years swat, I've learned a little about forced entry... and how to fortify against it.

Come to my house, it would be easier to bring a chain saw and just cut your own door in the side of the house. And even that takes a couple of minutes. And they wouldn't know to do that until they've already encountered my fortifications.
    Last edited by Bark'n; July 29th, 2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: punctuation and paragraphs
    Stubborn likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Bark'n - Those are exactly the security measures that we all need to implement at our home. Great setup!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

While I agree with all the points about a fortified home, second level sleeping quarters, and having arms close to hand most of the time; those things weren't all possible for this couple.

If you don't have kids, you may never have been up with a cranky infant 3 nights in a row due to colic (or in this case, teething). After the first night or two, you or your spouse would do anything to calm the child and let everyone get some sleep. In this case, the mother took a child in misery into the living room to try and calm the child and let the other children, and her husband, sleep. They did not have an early warning (system or dog), fortified home, there was no "funneling" towards the bedrooms with arms possible, and the mother had no weapons close to hand.

If she did have a firearm close to hand, should she and her infant "die like vikings" in the living room and hope the husband awakened to grab the AK or shotty to finish off the BGs?

After several nights of being awake with this suffering child, even the most trained and hardened of us, might not respond quickly enough to have any less than two of the BGs in the house with guns leveled at our heads (or at the child in our arms).

I know that compliance doesn't always work... I know that in Texas I could shoot them as they flee after I gave 'em the stuff. These folks didn't live in Texas, they didn't have all their fortifications in place in their home yet. Heck, they didn't even have firearms.

If the only difference between you and them was that you had a firearm, or that the wife did... what could have been done differently? IMO, not much. At the very least not much different until the husband shows up.

Now, ideally, hubby shows up with a full auto and sprays 'em all dead before they hit the ground, why didn't any of you offer that "woulda-coulda-shoulda?"
    3G19eXo likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    In a situation like that, you can really only comply and hope.
    ---------------------------
    In my case, I keep my .45 handy while I'm home. 11 rounds, at least 200gr JHP. Until I can get to my bedroom- there IS a door connecting my bedroom directly to the living room- to get my Remington 887 loaded with 4 rounds of Centurion 'Multi-Defense' loads. Hopefully, between the 15 shots I have in hand, I could handle the situation. I know there isn't much chance of it, but I promise that at least one scumbag is going with me.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links