Road Rage (Real Incident + Video) - Page 2

Road Rage (Real Incident + Video)

This is a discussion on Road Rage (Real Incident + Video) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Driver in the car was wrong, it was his responsibility to slow for bicycle. After that it's very simple...keep windows rolled up-keep doors locked-keep mouth ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Road Rage (Real Incident + Video)

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Driver in the car was wrong, it was his responsibility to slow for bicycle. After that it's very simple...keep windows rolled up-keep doors locked-keep mouth shut.

Avoid stupid people doing stupid things.

Obviously this wasn't in Florida or the motorcycle rider would have known better than to approach a vehicle like that...with over 800,000 CC'ers you won't get away with that very often before you get your a** shot off.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

After getting assaulted, I would have sped off clipping his bike on the way by.... Howdoya like dem apples?

VIP Member
    Derfinitely Canadian.

motorcyclist, unless he was gang member would'nt have done that in the US.

Guy in car was an idiot for mouthing off ( hollering biker, biker,didn't you see the biker) when rider turned around at light,

When I was crazy enough to ride motorcycles 15-30 years ago, when riding solo, (no other bikes with you) I would ride in the LS of the lane, Not in the center(oil slick) .
    I would have anticipated the actions of moron in car based on how morons drive and stayed left.
    Both dummies.

This is one of the big reasons , for the life of me I don't understand, why bicycles are allowed on streets instead of using the sidewalk, where IMHO they should be. A car going 35-50 hitting a cycle is going to be far more tragic than a cycle maybe striking a pedestrian walking on the sidewalk. Seems like common sense to me, but what do I know.
    thephanatik likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

There was actually an incident in Texas a few years back where a guy was assaulted while inside his vehicle. He shot and killed the assailant and no charges were filed. However, in that case the driver was being beaten in the face over and over again. So I doubt the single punch or slap that this video portrays would have been good reason to shoot him (even if the law allowed it)

I also had a bad experience with a guy on a motorcycle once. I was in the parking lot of Wal Mart. I was pulling up to a stop sign (one of those that is actually inside the parking lot) and I looked both ways, let off my brakes, looked one last time and saw a guy on a motorcycle driving by. I slammed back on my brakes. My car had probably only moved 6 inches and was still behind the stop sign and the line. However, it was obvious that I had slammed on my brakes from the movement of my car. The guy on the bike saw it and got pissed. he stopped right in front of me, flipped me off, then used every curse word he knew about me and a few about my mother. I sat there bewildered at what he was so pissed about. Was he pissed that I didn't see him the first time I looked, or did he think I was teasing him by starting to go and stopping? I don't know. Anyway, I didn't say anything back to him and just waited for him to get tired of cursing at me. He eventually got back on his bike and left. Good thing for him too, because as always I was armed.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

This would be a lesson to keep your mouth shut. Some people in this world are not going to take your crap. If you start shooting off your mouth, someone will put there fist in it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Under Florida law, the driver of the car would have been justified had he used deadly force to repel the biker. We just had a case here in central Florida that was very similar involving two guys in cars. The one guy pulled over in front of the other, got out and hit the other driver. The driver seated in the car shot his assailant - and his assailant is due for sentencing and is facing 13 - 18 months.

Oviedo road rage: Casselberry man wounded in Oviedo road rage incident going to prison - OrlandoSentinel.com

Personally, I would not have used deadly force in that situation, but the law does allow for it.

Matt
    he could just as easily have gone to jail. The road rage incident appeared to be over when they stopped at the last light. The driver of the car instigated the biker's response by shouting at him. It looked a lot like a second road rage incident. A good lawyer/prosecutor could prove that the car drive was the instigator. When you escalate or instigate the situation you lose the protection of the law.

Yes, it was a dash mounted cam.
    Yes, it took place in Canada.

Regardless of who was right and who was wrong, there are a lot of idiot drivers out there, you can't just go around assaulting all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    People have a natural tendency to be lazy drivers. The bicyclist is entitled to the entire lane of traffic. The driver of the car, should have been paying more attention to his driving instead of filming and yaking at his girlfriend.

Had he have been paying attention, he would have seen the bicyclist further down the road and slowed accordingly and made a proper lane change. Instead, he decided to be a lazy driver and veered into another lane which was obviously occupied by the motorcycle rider.

The excuse the driver of the car offered that he was swerving because of the bicyclist was just that, an excuse. He violated the law by failing to yield to the motorcycle rider, and failure to maintain his own driving lane. The bicyclist was not at fault, and the motorcycle rider was not at fault.

The driver of the car made things worse by mouthing off at the motorcycle rider who was naturally a little upset. I would be too. It's why I gave up riding motorcycles. Too many close calls from idiot drivers not paying attention.

The motorcycle rider did assault the motorist and as I see it, the guy driving the car brought it on himself. Not that it was right, and not that anything he did warranted being assaulted, but he did kind of ask for it. Had something like that happened at highway speeds, it could have been deadly for the motorcyclist, so he had reason to be upset. But he lost his cool and that too, was unacceptable.

Apparently though, we have at least a few members here who would have shot the motorcyclist over the little "love tap" he gave the driver of the car on the chops. So, go figure. (at least according to posts made in other threads)
    The motorcyclist commited a felony.
    In some states he would have put his life in jeodardy and certainly his freedom.
    I have not seen anyone on this web site advocate shooting anyone unless they reasonably felt their life was in danger.

I have owned and riden bikes from 1975 to date

Never ever get off the bike

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    In some states he would have put his life in jeodardy and certainly his freedom.
    I have not seen anyone on this web site advocate shooting anyone unless they reasonably felt their life was in danger.
    Did you miss this one?

Quote Originally Posted by CUMMINS View Post
    Well ill tell you, if that biker had of came to my window he would have met a glock. He would have either walked back to his bike or continued his assault and left with some lead in his butt.. I know ill catch Hell for this but at the present time it was unknown what the biker would do.. knife? Gun? Personally I'm not gna wait and find out, if he's close enough to punch he could stab too
    Last edited by Paco; July 29th, 2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: quoted language
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Did you miss this one?
    He reasonably felt his life was in danger.
    This isn't about what I think or you think it is about state law. If you live in Florida or Utah and you assault someone in their vehicle you may pay the ultimate price for doing it and the victim will be protected by state law. A verbal provcation is not enough reason to assault anyone anywhere. Once the attacker crosses the threshold of either your home or vehicle in either Florida or Utah the attacked may use deadly physical force.
    I suggest anyone who has a question on the use of deadly force in either Florida or Utah go to their law web site and find out for yourself.

He reasonably felt his life was in danger.
    This isn't about what I think or you think it is about state law. If you live in Florida or Utah and you assault someone in their vehicle you may pay the ultimate price for doing it and the victim will be protected by state law. A verbal provcation is not enough reason to assault anyone anywhere. Once the attacker crosses the threshold of either your home or vehicle in either Florida or Utah the attacked may use deadly physical force.
    I suggest anyone who has a question on the use of deadly force in either Florida or Utah go to their law web site and find out for yourself.
    "Personally I'm not gna wait and find out,"

So, if the attacker is unarmed, how do you justify fearing for your life?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

If he hit me, I would have accidentally moved my foot from the brake to the accelerator and ran his bike over

How do you know the attacker is unarmed.
    Do you know how many people have died from a blow to the throat?
    In either Florida or Utah as long as the attacker crossed the threshold of the vehicle the attacked would be protected by state law if he used deadly force.

Let me make this clear I wouldn't have used deadly force in this situation. I am just stating state law

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Everyone was wrong at some point and the motorist more so in the end. Every poster seems to make the assumption that the motorcyclist struck the car driver. Something happened but I've looked at the video several times and I don't see it and the driver does not make any statement to that effect. Did he or didn't he?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links