Road Rage (Real Incident + Video)

This is a discussion on Road Rage (Real Incident + Video) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FWIW, it didn't look to me like he crossed the line or swerved much at all. There's a white splat on the lower portion of ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 90 of 90
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Road Rage (Real Incident + Video)

  1. #76
    VIP Member Array Thunder71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,469
    FWIW, it didn't look to me like he crossed the line or swerved much at all.

    There's a white splat on the lower portion of the windshield, if you watch it in relationship to the white lines you'll notice there's barely a movement toward the center.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #77
    New Member Array rudy3285's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    So let me get this straight. The biker did not get hurt but on the chance that he could have been hurt, he hits someone...over something that didn't happen (he didn't get hurt).
    You must not ride motorcycles. Someone swerving into your lane can be DEADLY. This is akin to someone pointing a firearm at you (mugging, whatever), but not firing. Afterwards, I'm sure you'd be upset. Heck, during the encounter, while the firearm is being pointed at you, you would justified to use deadly force to defend yourself. But, instead, since you weren't harmed, deadly force wouldn't be warranted according to your logic. Now, the biker shouldn't have hit the guy, but the encounter is not as nonchalant as you like to make it--when cars and motorcycles tangle, cars always win.

    To those that say "the biker should ride as far left as he can"--forget that. I ride motorcycle and I "own my lane". If I'm on a 4 lane, like this situation, I ride to the center of the street, in this case the RIGHT side of my lane. It discourages people from trying "share" a lane with me. If they swerve towards my lane, I take evasive precautions+HORN, while getting ready to put a boot in their mirror. The biker was right in saying "MY LANE. YOUR LANE." Those of you that disagree need to get some education.

    About bicycling on the street: Bicyclists have the same right to the road as motorists. Riding on the street is preferable to riding on the sidewalk for a number of reasons: the streets are cleaner (less garbage to run over and get a flat), no pedestrians to hit, less chance of getting "right hooked" (google it) or hit by cars backing out of driveways. There are other reasons, feel free to google. The bicyclist blew a red light, which is not OK, but not giving him his entire lane (this goes back to the "MY LANE, YOUR LANE" deal) was wrong. If a car blows a redlight/stoplight on a right turn, do you squeeze past it by swerving into the next lane over? NO. Bicyclists have as much of a right to the road as motorists. Give them the entire lane. I commute to work via bicycle, 90% of it is on a trail, so no cars, but when I ride the street, I ride in the rightmost portion of the lane, but don't leave enough room between me and the center line for a car to squeeze around me. This is deliberate. I OWN MY LANE.

    About the motorcyclist getting off his bike and assaulting the driver: 1. driver should have kept his mouth shut, but this does not excuse the motorcyclist's behavior. 2) driver's windows should've been up and he should've left enough room when stopped to make an evasive maneuver. 3) those of you saying it would've been OK to shoot the motorcyclist, well, that would've been prevented had the window been rolled up. If the motorcyclist broke the window to get in the car, I'd be OK with using deadly force to defend one's self.

    I see that the driver has posted and said that he did not enter the motorcyclist's lane. OK, you didn't violate the motorcyclist's lane, but you sure violated the bicyclist's lane (even if he ran a red--which is wrong, you shouldn't squeeze by him like that, put yourself in his shoes).
    Bark'n likes this.

  4. #78
    Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy3285 View Post
    You must not ride motorcycles. Someone swerving into your lane can be DEADLY. This is akin to someone pointing a firearm at you (mugging, whatever), but not firing. Afterwards, I'm sure you'd be upset. Heck, during the encounter, while the firearm is being pointed at you, you would justified to use deadly force to defend yourself. But, instead, since you weren't harmed, deadly force wouldn't be warranted according to your logic. Now, the biker shouldn't have hit the guy, but the encounter is not as nonchalant as you like to make it--when cars and motorcycles tangle, cars always win.
    You're right, I don't ride motorcycles even though I wanted to when I was a kid. When I was a kid, however, a truck pulling a fully loaded wagon ran a stop sign leaving our car no room to stop. So when we plowed into the truck, after he got into "my lane", I was left with a permanent disability. So to say that I'm "nonchalant" about automobile accidents is a dubious assessment IMO. The accident that I was involved in had the potential to be a deadly one so I am fully aware of the fatality that can be brought on by vehicular accidents. I am very blessed to be alive. I am also very blessed to have the faculties to be here tonight and responding to your post. If I seem to be nonchalant about the automobile accident that happened in the video, it is because there wasn't one. If I seem nonchalant about the value of human life, then I apologize because it is my hope to celebrate life and help others as opposed to being a hinderance of any kind.

    If you have read all of the posts in this thread, then you have read posts from people that currently ride as well as people that used to ride. The experienced riders on here have stated that things like this happen on a regular basis. This is not to justify it but to quantify it. The experienced riders have also said that they anticipate things like this happening and due to this, they ride in front of or behind traffic as a preventive measure. Experienced riders in addition to what I have said, in other words, have critiqued the biker's actions. Hopefully the assessment from the experienced riders on here, can be used as a helpful narrative in a fashion that will help other bikers in the future.

    To say that this accident is the equivalent of someone pulling a firearm on me and not pulling the trigger is an anecdote that is lacking, to say the least. From my early childhood experience that I have already shared with you, it is reasonable for me to be very upset whenever someone pulls out in front of me while I'm driving. Given that my life has been permanently altered per a vehicular accident, you would think that I would go berserk whenever someone pulls out in front of me while I'm driving. Would you be surprised if I told you that although I'm not thrilled to have someone pull out in front of me, I don't go berserk when someone does this to me today? If I stated that I am so upset when someone pulls out in front of me because it could further injure me or kill me and this makes me want to go berserk and crush in someone's car door or rip their mirrors off of their car then I'm sure someone may perhaps tell me that I should reconsider driving. If I can't handle the possible dangers that go along with driving a car then perhaps I should not do it, especially if it upsets me to the point to where I want to damage property or hurt someone.

    The same as it would not be acceptable for me to damage property or injure persons that upset me while I'm driving, it is also not acceptable for bikers to damage property or injure persons while they are riding. If the possibility of getting hurt or killed upsets you to the degree that you need to act out and illustrate inappropriate behavior then perhaps you should stop riding. There are other forum members that have posted in this thread that they have indeed stopped riding because they didn't like the intrinsic dangers associated with riding a bike accordingly.


    Quote Originally Posted by rudy3285 View Post
    To those that say "the biker should ride as far left as he can"--forget that. I ride motorcycle and I "own my lane". If I'm on a 4 lane, like this situation, I ride to the center of the street, in this case the RIGHT side of my lane. It discourages people from trying "share" a lane with me.
    You are free to ride as to however it pleases you as long as it is legal. I may point out, however, that another rider in this thread suggested that its not in your best interest to ride in the middle of the lane. If I remember correctly, he said that there are oil slicks in the middle which makes the road slippery.

    As I have stated earlier, there are other riders that have said that there are other precautionary measures for you to take. If you want to insist on riding next to cars then it is your right. Knowing of the dangers that are involved in doing so, however, I don't think its worth the risk just so you can prove a point. You yourself have stated that encounters with cars can have deadly consequences. Is it worth your life to prove a point? Only you can make that decision, its your life.


    Quote Originally Posted by rudy3285 View Post
    If they swerve towards my lane, I take evasive precautions+HORN,
    +1 on taking evasive precautions+HORN.


    Quote Originally Posted by rudy3285 View Post
    while getting ready to put a boot in their mirror. The biker was right in saying "MY LANE. YOUR LANE." Those of you that disagree need to get some education.
    You may want to reconsider riding if others' actions make you want to damage someone else's property. Please see my previous comments in this post concerning this issue.

    If you're going to respond with, "MY LANE. YOUR LANE", after you put a boot in their mirro then my response is; tell it to the judge. Let me know how that rationale works out for you in court. Judges love vigilantes. If you proceedwith this game plan, it appears that you'll be the one getting a lesson/education.


    Quote Originally Posted by rudy3285 View Post
    I see that the driver has posted and said that he did not enter the motorcyclist's lane. OK, you didn't violate the motorcyclist's lane, but you sure violated the bicyclist's lane (even if he ran a red--which is wrong, you shouldn't squeeze by him like that, put yourself in his shoes).
    I completely agree. The bicyclist's traffic violation in no way gave the motorist the right to squeeze by him.

    You are also right, we should put ourselves in other people's shoes.

    My hope for you is to be safe and remain safe.

    Take care,

  5. #79
    New Member Array rudy3285's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    You're right, I don't ride motorcycles even though I wanted to when I was a kid. When I was a kid, however, a truck pulling a fully loaded wagon ran a stop sign leaving our car no room to stop. So when we plowed into the truck, after he got into "my lane", I was left with a permanent disability. So to say that I'm "nonchalant" about automobile accidents is a dubious assessment IMO. The accident that I was involved in had the potential to be a deadly one so I am fully aware of the fatality that can be brought on by vehicular accidents. I am very blessed to be alive. I am also very blessed to have the faculties to be here tonight and responding to your post. If I seem to be nonchalant about the automobile accident that happened in the video, it is because there wasn't one. If I seem nonchalant about the value of human life, then I apologize because it is my hope to celebrate life and help others as opposed to being a hinderance of any kind.
    I am sorry to hear about your accident and am glad that you're still around to participate in discussions such as these. Yes, everyone walked away from this incident, but I stand by my assertion that cars swerving into motorcycles is a very serious threat. Did the motorcycle guy have cause to be angry? Certainly. But you are correct in stating that this was no justification for the motorcyclist to strike the driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    If you have read all of the posts in this thread, then you have read posts from people that currently ride as well as people that used to ride. The experienced riders on here have stated that things like this happen on a regular basis. This is not to justify it but to quantify it. The experienced riders have also said that they anticipate things like this happening and due to this, they ride in front of or behind traffic as a preventive measure. Experienced riders in addition to what I have said, in other words, have critiqued the biker's actions. Hopefully the assessment from the experienced riders on here, can be used as a helpful narrative in a fashion that will help other bikers in the future.
    I agree with most of the experienced rider's assessments of his actions. I was just putting in my two cents about what side of the lane to ride on (more about that below).

    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    To say that this accident is the equivalent of someone pulling a firearm on me and not pulling the trigger is an anecdote that is lacking, to say the least. From my early childhood experience that I have already shared with you, it is reasonable for me to be very upset whenever someone pulls out in front of me while I'm driving. Given that my life has been permanently altered per a vehicular accident, you would think that I would go berserk whenever someone pulls out in front of me while I'm driving. Would you be surprised if I told you that although I'm not thrilled to have someone pull out in front of me, I don't go berserk when someone does this to me today? If I stated that I am so upset when someone pulls out in front of me because it could further injure me or kill me and this makes me want to go berserk and crush in someone's car door or rip their mirrors off of their car then I'm sure someone may perhaps tell me that I should reconsider driving. If I can't handle the possible dangers that go along with driving a car then perhaps I should not do it, especially if it upsets me to the point to where I want to damage property or hurt someone.
    Yes, my analogy was lacking. I was trying to illustrate the fact that just because nothing happened didn't mean that it couldn't have been much, much worse. I'm not advocating damaging other's property or hurting them over something dumb they've done in traffic. Defensive driving on the motorcyclist's part probably would've avoided this whole situation. I'm sure everyone here that drives has made at least one mistake on the road that angered another motorist. I know that I have--I take the opposite reaction of the driver and apologize when I realize I've done something dumb. Getting angry generally doesn't help anything--but it is a natural response when someone could've possibly killed you.

    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    The same as it would not be acceptable for me to damage property or injure persons that upset me while I'm driving, it is also not acceptable for bikers to damage property or injure persons while they are riding. If the possibility of getting hurt or killed upsets you to the degree that you need to act out and illustrate inappropriate behavior then perhaps you should stop riding. There are other forum members that have posted in this thread that they have indeed stopped riding because they didn't like the intrinsic dangers associated with riding a bike accordingly.

    You are free to ride as to however it pleases you as long as it is legal. I may point out, however, that another rider in this thread suggested that its not in your best interest to ride in the middle of the lane. If I remember correctly, he said that there are oil slicks in the middle which makes the road slippery.

    As I have stated earlier, there are other riders that have said that there are other precautionary measures for you to take. If you want to insist on riding next to cars then it is your right. Knowing of the dangers that are involved in doing so, however, I don't think its worth the risk just so you can prove a point. You yourself have stated that encounters with cars can have deadly consequences. Is it worth your life to prove a point? Only you can make that decision, its your life.
    I don't ride next to cars to prove a point. I ride next to them to discourage them from trying to "share" a lane with me. I may be only one wheel wide, but I own my whole lane. Additionally, I don't make a habit of riding next to cars for any extended period of time. I am usually passing in such a sutation, if passing is not possible, I speed up or slow down to avoid the car's blind spot and watch for the ability to complete the pass safely.


    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    +1 on taking evasive precautions+HORN.

    You may want to reconsider riding if others' actions make you want to damage someone else's property. Please see my previous comments in this post concerning this issue.

    If you're going to respond with, "MY LANE. YOUR LANE", after you put a boot in their mirro then my response is; tell it to the judge. Let me know how that rationale works out for you in court. Judges love vigilantes. If you proceedwith this game plan, it appears that you'll be the one getting a lesson/education.
    The "boot in the mirror" was a bit of hyperbole. The only time I would do it would be as a last ditch effort to try and get the driver's attention when the driver is entering my lane. Steps taken would be: 1) evasive maneuver+HORN while speeding up or slowing down to get away from the car. If speeding up or slowing down is not possible (cars in front and behind), I'll 2) get as far left as I can while still laying on the horn. If the driver still doesn't recognize me, they're going to have my foot touching their vehicle while yelling loudly--as a last ditch effort to get their attention before I'm forced into oncoming traffic. I would never touch another person's vehicle after the fact as an act of revenge/whatever. I am not a vigilante and have no desire to destroy anyone else's property. Simply just want to stay alive and enjoy my motorcycle ride.

    I apologize for any misunderstanding.

    Take care.

  6. #80
    VIP Member Array Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy3285 View Post
    .... If the driver still doesn't recognize me, they're going to have my foot touching their vehicle while yelling loudly--as a last ditch effort to get their attention before I'm forced into oncoming traffic. I would never touch another person's vehicle after the fact as an act of revenge/whatever. I am not a vigilante and have no desire to destroy anyone else's property. Simply just want to stay alive and enjoy my motorcycle ride.
    ...
    5 cell mag light. Boot has a tendency to push you over/make you unstable.

    Motorcyclists and bicyclists alike can go from riding on the street to pedestrian in the middle of the road in a heartbeat. Pavement is a 2 grit belt sander (concrete is closer to 30 grit). Not fun, been there, done that.
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  7. #81
    Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy3285 View Post
    I apologize for any misunderstanding.

    Take care.
    No problem at all. You have valid points and I apologize if I came off as being too harsh.

    Welcome to the forum. I hope for you to be safe in your riding and that motorists do not do anything to put you at jeopardy.

    Take care,

  8. #82
    VIP Member Array Sheldon J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    Posts
    2,281

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    I registered just so I can say my part. I'm the person driving the car in the video. Now that I look back at it I realized what I should have done correctly, and that was to slow down and wait for a proper gap the pass the bicyclist.

    As far as the video goes, I did shoulder check, there I knew the motorcyclist was there. I also saw the cyclist as soon as he joined traffic. I never crossed the line, some of you believe I did, but I know where my tires are and never crossed into his lane at all. As for indicating, I did not indicate as I figured that would scare the motorcyclist into thinking I was changing lanes and possibly cutting him off, plus I wasn't going to be changing lanes anyways.

    For the next time I will wind my window up as well as not open my mouth up after the incident is over. But I stand on the fact I never crossed into his lane, nor was I distracted by my driving. But in no way does it give him the right to punch me.
    Welcome to the forum, I hope you stick around for other discussions as well. But you were driving distracted, just as someone on a cell phone is driving distracted you were distracted by your conversation in what most would consider moderately heavy traffic, which requires absolute attention at all times. No I do not use my cell or have chats with the wife in heavy traffic and she knows that I am watching all 4 mirrors (yes 4) my blind spot, and what is going on ahead of me.

    As a old biker you have to drive like everyone is trying to kill you, and us bikers tend to take it close and personal when someone moves in their direction with several thousand pounds of iron without warning or signals.

    His mistake was to over react.

    Yours was to verbalize your thoughts to him, you don't poke a stick in a hornets nest but you back away quietly.... The only and best response to such an incident is... "I'm real sorry I did not look" heart felt apologies are always helpful to defuse a situation... Just as in Concealed carry It does not matter if you were right or wrong, sometimes you have to back it off and be the man.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

  9. #83
    Senior Member Array Spade115's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    600
    Riding out to bike night I was doing 55 down a road thats set for 45 I was speeding a bit to keep some distance and a guy went from the side street passed two lanes, into the center and got into my lane. There is no way he did not hear me im running a drag pipe on my blast and it is LOUD!. He heard me and turned out of my lane quickly pulled the clutch and gassed it to make sure he heard me and pulled off the road to catch a breather.

    Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

  10. #84
    Member Array xXMens ReaXx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    107
    The biker pulled the old hit and run on him!

    When are people going to realize that there is always someone bigger, stronger, faster, and if nothing else CRAZIER!

    You cut me off, I yell obscenities, you yell back, I yell more, you hit me, I run your bike over, you pull out a gun, we both end up in jail or the hospital and both lives are ruined. Pride and being "right" is a very scary thing.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

  11. #85
    Member Array Boreal21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central Utah
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Pardon my bluntness but the idiot is the one who rides the wrong way against traffic, thinking they're correct and in reality being a HAZARD to other cyclists riding the right way, with traffic:

    http://bicyclesafe.com/

    Riding the wrong way is illegal and you can get ticketed for it.

    HTH.
    ^^ This.

    Ride with traffic, walk against.

    Also, no... you should not ride on the sidewalk. Have you ever tried riding 25 - 35mph on a sidewalk? Try it out and let me know how it goes.

    Not sure of the regs in the state where the video was shot, but in Utah you are only required to give bicyclers a 3' cushion. If the driver was able to stay in his lane and still give the cycler his 3', then he did nothing wrong and didn't deserve the verbal abuse he got from the biker. Whether he made a mistake after that point is debatable. Personally I wouldn't have made any comments to extend or escalate the confrontation, but that's just me.

  12. #86
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
    Not sure of the regs in the state where the video was shot
    That be in the state of Canada!

    One of our 57 states. Just recently acquired.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  13. #87
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    I registered just so I can say my part. I'm the person driving the car in the video. Now that I look back at it I realized what I should have done correctly, and that was to slow down and wait for a proper gap the pass the bicyclist.

    As far as the video goes, I did shoulder check, there I knew the motorcyclist was there. I also saw the cyclist as soon as he joined traffic. I never crossed the line, some of you believe I did, but I know where my tires are and never crossed into his lane at all. As for indicating, I did not indicate as I figured that would scare the motorcyclist into thinking I was changing lanes and possibly cutting him off, plus I wasn't going to be changing lanes anyways.

    For the next time I will wind my window up as well as not open my mouth up after the incident is over. But I stand on the fact I never crossed into his lane, nor was I distracted by my driving. But in no way does it give him the right to punch me.


    I believe you. Watching the vid, it looks like your car barely moved to the left.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  14. #88
    VIP Member Array Sheldon J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    Posts
    2,281
    Riding on the sidewalk in some states will get you a ticket too.... As will walking in the road, here it'll cost ya 85 bucks if caught....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

  15. #89
    VIP Member Array Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,407
    Colorado, bicyclists wanted the road, well, they got it, along with all the traffic laws that they must obey, including two or more must ride single file (blatantly ignored) and they are not allowed to scoot ahead in traffic at stop signs/lights. Enforcement however is absent, and there is no penalty system in place. The only thing that they ticket for is riding on the sidewalk.
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

  16. #90
    VIP Member Array jonconsiglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    3,168
    Sometimes in life people just need a good smack in the mouth…

    I'd leave it alone and take no further action. Two parties were wrong there, and it wasn't the bicyclist.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

battle creek rage video
,
concealed carry road rage
,

free license plate lookup

,

free license plate search

,
license plate lookup free
,
real incident videos
,
real incitanent viedo
,

real road rage videos

,
road rage against motorcycle videos
,
road rage viedo
,

road warrior locking cycle holster

,
see real roadrage videos
Click on a term to search for related topics.