Road Rage (Real Incident + Video)

This is a discussion on Road Rage (Real Incident + Video) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ‪Road Rage + Assault‬‏ - YouTube This happened to a member of another forum I post on and I thought I would put it here ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Road Rage (Real Incident + Video)

Road Rage (Real Incident + Video)

‪Road Rage + Assault‬‏ - YouTube

This happened to a member of another forum I post on and I thought I would put it here to spark some discussion.
    Always good to think about how you would handle the situation before you are encountered with it.

2. Remove Ads

They have a video, license plate #, thats all you need.

Just another wana be badboy.

First let me say I ride. The rider was right on one account....the car moved over into his lane to avoid the bike rider. It didn't even look like he slowed down. Now there is no way to tell if the driver even checked his mirror or how close the bike was. The drivers excuse about the bike rider is wrong. The bike rider was in his lane so the car should have slowed down first. Now the biker was out of line if he did what it looked like and Physically assaulted the driver. I see it all the time today weather I'm in my car or on my bike..people are self-important when they drive..they don't know what a yield sign is..they just move into your lane and then look at you like you did something wrong..they make left turns from the right lane because they missed their turn.....Did people forget about going around the block??? Just from my experience ...most people that get into arguments on the road bring it on themselves.....that's not to excuse ANY violence!
    Spade115 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    The general rule is to not shout things at other motorists, and should you do something so as to upset another driver (whether your fault or not), the proper response is the "I'm sorry, my bad" gesture.

Any other course of action leads to a worse result. QED
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

People have a natural tendency to be lazy drivers. The bicyclist is entitled to the entire lane of traffic. The driver of the car, should have been paying more attention to his driving instead of filming and yaking at his girlfriend.

Had he have been paying attention, he would have seen the bicyclist further down the road and slowed accordingly and made a proper lane change. Instead, he decided to be a lazy driver and veered into another lane which was obviously occupied by the motorcycle rider.

The excuse the driver of the car offered that he was swerving because of the bicyclist was just that, an excuse. He violated the law by failing to yield to the motorcycle rider, and failure to maintain his own driving lane. The bicyclist was not at fault, and the motorcycle rider was not at fault.

The driver of the car made things worse by mouthing off at the motorcycle rider who was naturally a little upset. I would be too. It's why I gave up riding motorcycles. Too many close calls from idiot drivers not paying attention.

The motorcycle rider did assault the motorist and as I see it, the guy driving the car brought it on himself. Not that it was right, and not that anything he did warranted being assaulted, but he did kind of ask for it. Had something like that happened at highway speeds, it could have been deadly for the motorcyclist, so he had reason to be upset. But he lost his cool and that too, was unacceptable.

Apparently though, we have at least a few members here who would have shot the motorcyclist over the little "love tap" he gave the driver of the car on the chops. So, go figure. (at least according to posts made in other threads)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I wonder why there is a minute of video before they pass the bicyclist? Were they just driving around waiting for something to happen? At first I thought the road rage was with the driver of the white cross over with the bike rack on the back. It seems like both that car and the driver were both driving way to fast through business district with road construction.

The proper thing for the driver to do was slow done until he could safely move over. The bike rider probably was also partly at fault as it looked like he "ran" a red light. By going through the light with traffic approaching he didn't give the driver time to adjust to his presence. If bike riders want to be allowed on the streets they are supposed to follow the same rules we all do.

Obviously the guy on the motorcycle was agitated,,,,,the guy in the car needs to learn when to just keep it zipped.
    atctimmy likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Sponsor
    OK, I ride a motorcycle. A lot. 300-400mi/week highway and city.
    All 3 people involved here were wrong at one point in time or another. The driver of the car should have been paying closer attention to the traffic ahead of him. The bicyclist looked to have run a red light. The Motorcyclist was definitely wrong for everything after the initial horn blast and ***!. He was also probably riding the white line which is a big no-no when in traffic. The car barely crossed the white line, wrong to even do that I know. But if the motorcycle had been in the center of his lane there would have been no cause for alarm. If motorcyclists can't watch out for their own safety and practice good defensive driving skills how can they hold the cagers to a higher standard? And his argument of the bicycle not being in his lane? Come on his lane or not the bicycle was a potential hazard and he should have twigged to the fact that the car was going do something. Sure that something should have been to slow down, but there was definitely going to some kind of maneuver and the biker should have been ready for it. Vigilance is even more important to us 2 wheelers than the rest of the world.
    Last edited by luvmy40; July 29th, 2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
    mkh and wasilvers like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I wonder why there is a minute of video before they pass the bicyclist? Were they just driving around waiting for something to happen? At first I thought the road rage was with the driver of the white cross over with the bike rack on the back. It seems like both that car and the driver were both driving way to fast through business district with road construction.
    Judging by how steady the camera is and that it is always pointed in one direction, I am guessing that is a dash-cam. Many consumers are starting to use these now to protect themselves from lies of other motorists in the event of a crash or from police abuse.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

What Bark'n said,also I noticed a Canadian flag so It looks like this could have happened in Canada.I live really close to the Southern border,in the last year they have had over 90 Bicycle Motor Vehicle accidents and not that many people ride bikes down here.I ride a Motorcycle almost every day and I put around 1000 miles a month on it,I have had people swerve into my lane and cut me off to exit a 4 lane highway and they are in the farthest lane from the exit ramp.The biker committed a battery and needs to pay the consequences.And yeah the biker could meet Mr. Colt if he approached me like that due to the fact I don't know if he is gonna hit me or pull a knife etc.
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    A few things come to mind.

From a rider's perspective, the motorcyclist should have identified the bicycle coming from the side and predicted the conflict. This is why smart motorcyclists don't ride right next to another vehicle.

However, the driver forgot Rule 3 - "When an idiot invites you to a conflict, you don't have to accept". Apart from the glare from the motorcyclist, the incident was over. Had the driver not re-engaged the motorcycle rider verbally, nothing would have happened.

Matt
    Spade115 likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Apparently though, we have at least a few members here who would have shot the motorcyclist over the little "love tap" he gave the driver of the car on the chops. So, go figure. (at least according to posts made in other threads)
    Under Florida law, the driver of the car would have been justified had he used deadly force to repel the biker. We just had a case here in central Florida that was very similar involving two guys in cars. The one guy pulled over in front of the other, got out and hit the other driver. The driver seated in the car shot his assailant - and his assailant is due for sentencing and is facing 13 - 18 months.

Oviedo road rage: Casselberry man wounded in Oviedo road rage incident going to prison - OrlandoSentinel.com

Personally, I would not have used deadly force in that situation, but the law does allow for it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Y'all: Seems like everyone has a somewhat different opinion about everyone in this video. Regardless, if you are the either the auto driver or the motorcyclist and happen to be CC, all of their actions are indefensible if the need to actually present and perhaps use your firearm becomes reality. Once you are CC, you put your testosterone, manliness and pride away in a locked mental vault, whether you like it or not. Bite your tongue, scratch your whatever but keep your mouth shut and get away from the situation. If you must say anything it is an apology--regardless of right or wrong. If you cannot do these things and are a bit, shall be say, aggressive and loud, when you drive, your future problems will increase dramatically and end up costing you dearly.

If the car driver drifted into the MC lane to pass the bike, and there was not room, he should just have slowed down. Just because a MC (or a bike) is narrow, does not mean they give up sovereignty of their lane space. You must slow/stop and wait and then go around. So the driver was wrong. It's very common though. People in cars see a 'narrowing' of the highway and they instinctively speed up to go through it, even if it's a baby carriage and a kid on a bike, they won't slow down. It's the height of stupidity.

Well ill tell you, if that biker had of came to my window he would have met a glock. He would have either walked back to his bike or continued his assault and left with some lead in his butt.. I know ill catch Hell for this but at the present time it was unknown what the biker would do.. knife? Gun? Personally I'm not gna wait and find out, if he's close enough to punch he could stab too
    Last edited by Paco; July 29th, 2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: language

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links