Reason why I started carrying - Page 2

Reason why I started carrying

This is a discussion on Reason why I started carrying within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for those that have served in the military know the 5 P's work well...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Reason why I started carrying

for those that have served in the military know the 5 P's work well
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

VIP Member
    I thought there were 6 Ps.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

That's the way to use your smarts. Myself, before I had my CCW and was in excellent condition, I worked in a ghetto neighborhood in St. Louis. Example:
    Panhandler: Man, you got a dolla?
    Me: Sure! You got change for a twenty?
    Panhandler: Jaw drops open...

Ya got to keep em guessing

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    I truly felt like if this had occurred a block earlier(much less populated) or an hour later (it was checkout time at the Hotel), my GF and I could have been seriously harmed or killed. Not a risk I am willing to take anymore.
    I doubt this was a serious attempt to violently assault you and your GF. Could it have been? Sure, but it could also be a guy hoping to get you to go to his church. A gun isn't a talisman that keeps you from harm. It's the very last thing you need to deploy in a life-threatening situation. The key is being to able to tell the difference between a life-threatening situation, and one that's simply uncomfortable. You failed the first test.

Carrying a gun is the easy part. Knowing when and how to use it is far more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I doubt this was a serious attempt to violently assault you and your GF. Could it have been? Sure, but it could also be a guy hoping to get you to go to his church.
    that is just friggin hilarious!

A CHURCH stalker, sure happens all the time..... I'd say you failed in your assessment, of the OP's assessment.
    OD* likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    A CHURCH stalker, sure happens all the time.....
    Hahaha, that's funny!

I think the OP did the right thing by watching the hands. I've had many peddlers come up asking for a handout and I'm always sure to stay aware of where their hands are, their body language and the distance between me (or my family) and them.

I do agree with MadMac though that your gun being drawn is a 'last resort' move on your part.
    3rdGen.Glock19.TaloEdition
    Glock.Factory.NS
    Remora.#10.RFT.SS
    16.GDJHP.124g.+P
    24/7

Quote Originally Posted by 3G19eXo View Post
    Hahaha, that's funny!

I think the OP did the right thing by watching the hands. I've had many peddlers come up asking for a handout and I'm always sure to stay aware of where their hands are, their body language and the distance between me (or my family) and them.

I do agree with MadMac though that your gun being drawn is a 'last resort' move on your part.

Isn't that a given though.... ?

That statement is touted over and over and over.... I doubt it very seriously if any self respecting gun toting American would pull his pistol and fire just for the hell of it... I for one would like to offer the OP and others like him a little more credit than that..

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Isn't that a given though.... ?

That statement is touted over and over and over.... I doubt it very seriously if any self respecting gun toting American would pull his pistol and fire just for the hell of it... I for one would like to offer the OP and others like him a little more credit than that..
    Well...uh..yea

He started a thread titled "Reason why I started carrying" and then told the story that really didn't justify if he had a gun, that he had any reason to use it.

I understand and respect the OP for choosing to carry for those 'just in case' situations. Back before I began carrying I was robbed in a parking lot looking down the barrel of a revolver, it's not a good feeling knowing your pretty much defenseless.

Hey, OP, no disrespect, I know you're not an idiot, I'm still new and learning and hoping to contribute here if and when possible.

Thanks.
    Glock.Factory.NS
    Remora.#10.RFT.SS
    16.GDJHP.124g.+P
    24/7

Sorry if I offended you my friend, that was not my intent... Sometimes my writing style is a tad to blunt I guess...

Sorry if I offended you my friend, that was not my intent... Sometimes my writing style is a tad to blunt I guess...
    No offense taken. :)

Have you ever read those stories in "Combat Handguns" magazine. You know, the column usually labeled "It happened to me"? I think most of those stories are about people just pulling their guns to scare off an attacker, I don't remember reading one where someone actualy used there gun in self defense.

I've been told by several gun toting friends that if you pull your gun that you had better be prepared to use it. Now like I previously mentioned, I'm fairly new to carrying, does that mean I shouldn't pull my gun if I think things are about to turn for the worse to hopefully deter an attack like most of those stories in the magazine? I mean, if I truly feel my life is about to end, then of course, you gotta do what you gotta do.

But let's just say in the OP's situation, let me change things a bit. Let's say the guy happened to pull a knife and lunge at him or his girlfriend but he had plenty of room to flee the attacker on foot but instead he pulled his gun and either scared the attacker off or shot him. I guess if that happened then the very next thing to do is call 911 before the perp has a chance to.

Thanks
    Glock.Factory.NS
    Remora.#10.RFT.SS
    16.GDJHP.124g.+P
    24/7

that is just friggin hilarious!

A CHURCH stalker, sure happens all the time..... I'd say you failed in your assessment, of the OP's assessment.
    I know some Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses that would love to speak with you. Send me your address, and I'll pass it on.

I know some Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses that would love to speak with you. Send me your address, and I'll pass it on.
    Thats hitting below the belt....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Not a chance.... Even if they were to approach me on the street, I would be respectful enough to say, Thank you for the concern, but I'm really not interested then turn and walk away.

For the record; I've worked downtown Atlanta for twelve years now and every single person that has ever approached me while I was on lunch or out and about for whatever reason. Not a single one said anything about God, or anything remotely close. Every single one of um wanted money for one reason or another... Just to illustrate how violent some of the vagrants can be. I have a coworker that was approached at a red light and when he turned the guy down the guy kicked his door and put a dent in it, then ran like hell.. Hummm, yeah most of um are harmless enough, LOL! Send some Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses walking through downtown Atlanta and there's a good chance you'll be sending um to meet their demise... That won't win you any points with the big Guy.

You did well...

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Good that you were alert in the scenario you described. I have been in Hotlanta for trade shows at the Congress Center dozens of times and have been subject to the same scenario. Believe it or not it is actually a scam by the street people; after they guide you to your destination they beg for a handout, it is how they get dodge the panhandling laws.
    Ya...seen this many times when down there for various conventions/parades.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    You did well...

Ya...seen this many times when down there for various conventions/parades.
    Was just there last month for a trade show, and my hotel was on Peachtree. Hated locking my CW9 in the room safe every day (GWCC is off limits to CCW), but taking the convention shuttle helped mitigate the risk in transit. After convention hours every night I re-armed for the evening & dinner; ATL panhandlers are aggressive no doubt, but like in any situation, if your head is on a swivel you can avoid trouble, armed or not.

No issues this trip, except for a super-annoying crowd one night in the Hard Rock who kept encouraging the wait staff in their rediculous shennanigans.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links