Reason why I started carrying

This is a discussion on Reason why I started carrying within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I was of the legal age to carry a weapon in the great state of GA, I was walking around downtown Atlanta (near peachtree ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Reason why I started carrying

Before I was of the legal age to carry a weapon in the great state of GA, I was walking around downtown Atlanta (near peachtree st.) in the middle of the day. Now before someone posts it, wandering around in downtown Atlanta isnt the greatest idea. I know. I was young and in love and my girlfriend really wanted to go to the Coca Cola tourist trap. Well, I hadnt been there in quite some time so I pulled out my gps and mapped the walking route there, knowing I would deviate if I felt like it was taking me out of a well populated area. Well, we start walking when my "spidey senses" go off and tell me something is not right. A man in his late 30's (A graying african american about 6'3 195 pounds) compared to me at (5'5) has made the same couple turns and pace changes that we have. I picked up our pace as we were coming out of a less populated area and towards a Sheraton that was busy with bell-hops, valets, and guests. Thinking I was being paranoid we stopped outside the hotel as I waited for him to pass before we continued on. Well, sure enough as he comes upon us he tries to make conversation. What are you doing in Atlanta, are you on vacation, looking for somewhere in particular ect. My hand quickly finds itself on my "SWAT" Smith and Wesson 3 inch knife I carried at the time and I made sure he understood that I was not interested in talking with him. He asks me where I am going and my GF blerts out Coca Cola center. (we had a talk about this later) He sees the GPS in my other hand and says "those things don't work well around here let me show you a short cut I know". Absolutely Not. Knife is now opened in my pocket and I tell him to leave as I grab my GF by the shoulder and back away from him, deeper into the Hotel area. I was in alert level Orange and I think he noticed it. My eyes were focused on his hands, but I caught him as he looked around and then walked away pretty quickly not saying another word.

As soon as I turned 21 I turned in the paperwork for my license. I truly felt like if this had occurred a block earlier(much less populated) or an hour later (it was checkout time at the Hotel), my GF and I could have been seriously harmed or killed. Not a risk I am willing to take anymore.

I have learned since then, through extensive training, and through info on sites like this that I made some crucial mistakes that put myself in that position.

Figured I would put this out there!

One thing I've learned is always go with your gut feeling when in doubt. I'd rather be too cautious and alive than too trusting and dead!
    atctimmy likes this.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    Before I was of the legal age to carry a weapon in the great state of GA, I was walking around downtown Atlanta (near peachtree st.) in the middle of the day. Now before someone posts it, wandering around in downtown Atlanta isnt the greatest idea. I know. I was young and in love and my girlfriend really wanted to go to the Coca Cola tourist trap. Well, I hadnt been there in quite some time so I pulled out my gps and mapped the walking route there, knowing I would deviate if I felt like it was taking me out of a well populated area. Well, we start walking when my "spidey senses" go off and tell me something is not right. A man in his late 30's (A graying african american about 6'3 195 pounds) compared to me at (5'5) has made the same couple turns and pace changes that we have. I picked up our pace as we were coming out of a less populated area and towards a Sheraton that was busy with bell-hops, valets, and guests. Thinking I was being paranoid we stopped outside the hotel as I waited for him to pass before we continued on. Well, sure enough as he comes upon us he tries to make conversation. What are you doing in Atlanta, are you on vacation, looking for somewhere in particular ect. My hand quickly finds itself on my "SWAT" Smith and Wesson 3 inch knife I carried at the time and I made sure he understood that I was not interested in talking with him. He asks me where I am going and my GF blerts out Coca Cola center. (we had a talk about this later) He sees the GPS in my other hand and says "those things don't work well around here let me show you a short cut I know". Absolutely Not. Knife is now opened in my pocket and I tell him to leave as I grab my GF by the shoulder and back away from him, deeper into the Hotel area. I was in alert level Orange and I think he noticed it. My eyes were focused on his hands, but I caught him as he looked around and then walked away pretty quickly not saying another word.

As soon as I turned 21 I turned in the paperwork for my license. I truly felt like if this had occurred a block earlier(much less populated) or an hour later (it was checkout time at the Hotel), my GF and I could have been seriously harmed or killed. Not a risk I am willing to take anymore.

I have learned since then, through extensive training, and through info on sites like this that I made some crucial mistakes that put myself in that position.

Figured I would put this out there!
    Good that you were alert in the scenario you described. I have been in Hotlanta for trade shows at the Congress Center dozens of times and have been subject to the same scenario. Believe it or not it is actually a scam by the street people; after they guide you to your destination they beg for a handout, it is how they get dodge the panhandling laws.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Glad you learned from it, remember the 3 principles of safety, stay away from stupid people, doing stupid things, in stupid places. I've learned the hard way about stupid people. Not saying you were, by going there, but the 3 "S" principle applies to a lot of scenarios.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Situational awareness is your primary weapon. There is a good chance that if it comes down to your knife or your firearm, you have not followed thru on situational awareness in the first place. Even you have stated "I probably should not have been down there but"---if you hadn't, none of this thread would have happened. Even that old story where response to Plaxico Burris about having the firearm that discharged in his possession and sent him to jail---"why were you anywhere where you felt the need to carry a firearm"?

Better to err on the side of caution,then blow it off and find out your spidey senses were right
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good stroy. It says alot that you can share that and admit to some mistakes (which is no big deal bc you were young). I agree that your "spidey sense" is your best weapon. A concealed weapon is of no use if it stays in it's holster because you are surprise attacked in an isolated area.

-Thanks for sharing
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

allways trust your senses

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    =
    Its quite possible the guy meant no harm, and perhaps he was a panhandler. Still, I typically treat panhandlers as a threat because I don't like any stranger walking up to me and starting a conversation. That is unfortunately how many robberies are started, with innocent-sounding questions. And since I fundamentally do not believe in giving panhandlers money in the first place, I treat them just like any other threat. When the approach I sternly tell them to back off and make it known they are not welcome.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Its quite possible the guy meant no harm, and perhaps he was a panhandler.
    Being a fellow Atlanta'n myself, I'd bet the dude was up to no good hence the "I know a short cut" yeah, don't we all. IMO, the OP did exactly what he should have done and the would-be guide picked up on it... It's also my opinion that, I'd rather inadvertently insult some guy that was following me and my lady with the intent to just beg for a buck or two than play right into his "I'm just here trying to help" scam and suffer a possible devastating altercation..

OP, Glad everything worked out for ya, and you and your lady suffered no wear and tear coming to the realization that in these cities we call home, it's best to be prepared for the predators that roam the streets looking for what they consider an easy mark.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Everyone has there own reason, Im just glad that we have another armed citizen in the fold...Be safe and be armed.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Stay armed, stay safe.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My wife and I travel a lot.
    We have agreed that I will answer all questions when asked by a stranger.
    My wife will follow my lead without asking questions, because a delay in response could spell disaster.
    In the event of conflict she is to run to safety and not try to assist, and once safe call for help.
    I explained that I would only have to defend myself and not both of us.
    That is our basic SOP when traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    My wife will follow my lead without asking questions, because a delay in response could spell disaster.
    In the event of conflict she is to run to safety and not try to assist, and once safe call for help.
    Good to have a plan of action like that ahead of time.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    good tip, I appreciate it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links