De-Escalating Conflict - Page 2

De-Escalating Conflict

This is a discussion on De-Escalating Conflict within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I appreciated the answers from everyone on this interesting and well-written thread. Whether you are CC or OC, you have to park your pride, testosterone ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: De-Escalating Conflict

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I appreciated the answers from everyone on this interesting and well-written thread. Whether you are CC or OC, you have to park your pride, testosterone etal at the door as you leave your house. The schmoe is always right, you are definitely wrong and you apologize. You obviously walk away, drive away, get away, away, away. If you cannot and all that is left is some kind of confrontation with a potential presumption on your part of imminent danger of death or great bodily injury, you attempt some kind of retreat, if possible, as you shout as vigorously as you can that you do not want any part of this confrontation and that you are armed and will defend (witnesses). The rest is up to the schmoe. If my game plan is incorrect, I am open to comments. Thanks everyone and God Bless.
    rammerjammer likes this.

I'm all for de-escalating, up until the point that a deadly threat is imminent. In the case of a guy like this I think you did the right thing. There are, however, certain situations where de-escalation will be done through violence. If presented with a weapon, I'm likely to just end it right then and there, but given someone who just needs an attitude check I can bow out.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I think you handled everything well. Anytime it can be talked out is better than a shoot out. Does your service provide you with another guy or two in the truck? If so what were they doing? I may be way off but the only armed currier services I've seen was the Wells Fargo Truck.

Great Job

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    You came away from the incident without having to draw your firearm and no one was hurt so I think you did extremely well. I'm glad that everyone is okay.

I think you were right to remain calm. Others feed off of our actions and if we get excited then they'll probably follow our lead and get excited as well. I also think you were right to apologize.

The only thing that I might have done differently is to have refrained from saying; "but is it necessary to threaten over an accident?"

This could be construed as a criticism or come off as you questioning his rationale. By putting him in a position to where he has to explain himself, he may get the impression that he's being blamed for something. This is the beginning of a conversation that you don't want to get into or have with an irrational person.
    I agree with this response, you say you apologized, but what you did was challenge the guy. I have been taught that there are no "buts" in an apology
    Kahnkem likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links