Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

This is a discussion on Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by azchevy Please share with all if us your first hand self defense encounter and why you felt the revolver would not have ...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Please share with all if us your first hand self defense encounter and why you felt the revolver would not have cut it. I am eager to hear you actually prove anything.
    Not until you answer my questions 1st. Seeing as so far in this thread alone you haven't prove anything but the fact that you like to talk a lot and make very large and loose assumptions without nothing to back them up.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

2. Remove Ads

A .380 will do the job with proper shot placement, a neighbor of my uncle walked out his room from hearing something fall in the living room to find a guy inside his home that managed to get in through a restroom window and shot the burgular in the neck from the side and the guy hit the floor and started shaking and died about 10 minutes later. One shot from a .380 killed that man. Yes he had to miss work due to court appearances but was released and no charges.
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Not until you answer my questions 1st. Seeing as so far in this thread alone you haven't prove anything but the fact that you like to talk a lot and make very large and loose assumptions without nothing to back them up.
    what questions would those be? i went back through the entire thread.... I only found one. No offense but, I think in your blind anger to defend your position you forgot what you even posted.... you too can go back and you like to verify. I just did.

Most jewelry shops have NO areas to take cover unless your on the other side of the counter. So what do you do? Be a sitting duck or be active on getting yourself home?
    I don't really buy jewelry and have no need to. If I did, i am sure I am fit and active enough to jump behind the counter. Wait, I know I am. Also I am very aware of my surroundings and I am always looking for exit strategies and possible threats when I am in public. It is ingrained in me. Like when i ride my motorcycles on the street or when I worked the streets when I was younger. My head is on a swivel and I am aware of what is going on around me all the time. Especially if I decide to go into a high risk area such as a jewelry store or a corner gas station.

I couldn't find any others, the rest of it was just you going on about hypothetical fantasy gunfight situations. Once could do that all day couldn't they

yes they will work. less problems with a wheel gun when it hits the fan.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    what questions would those be? i went back through the entire thread.... I only found one. No offense but, I think in your blind anger to defend your position you forgot what you even posted.... you too can go back and you like to verify. I just did.

I don't really buy jewelry and have no need to. If I did, i am sure I am fit and active enough to jump behind the counter. Wait, I know I am. Also I am very aware of my surroundings and I am always looking for exit strategies and possible threats when I am in public. It is ingrained in me. Like when i ride my motorcycles on the street or when I worked the streets when I was younger. My head is on a swivel and I am aware of what is going on around me all the time. Especially if I decide to go into a high risk area such as a jewelry store or a corner gas station.

I couldn't find any others, the rest of it was just you going on about hypothetical fantasy gunfight situations. Once could do that all day couldn't they
    Didn't have to look far for my 1st one. Why don't you start there, it will get harder.

Where did I say that I was basing crime in my area when I was 16. And where did I say that I was carrying a gun at 16? You are trying to make a point out of nothing.....
    Seems like your arrogance or ignorance, or both refuse to allow you to understand how you double talked yourself in this thread so much that you just result in saying whatever crazy thing you can come up with. In any event I posted stories of true gunfights. You are the one with the living in the fantasy world.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    Moore selected as Deputy Sheriff of the Year / Mount Vernon News
    This incident happened in the next county over, and involves the sheriff's department which issued my CHL. Deputy Moore returned fire on his assailant with one hand while holding an arterial bleeder shut with his other. He hit his assailant with the last round in his hi-cap .40. Had he been carrying a revolver, he would most likely be dead. Had he been carrying a single-stack semi-auto, he would most likely be dead.

Didn't have to look far for my 1st one. Why don't you start there, it will get harder.

Seems like your arrogance or ignorance, or both refuse to allow you to understand how you double talked yourself in this thread so much that you just result in saying whatever crazy thing you can come up with. In any event I posted stories of true gunfights. You are the one with the living in the fantasy world.
    I was nice enough to share with you my real life experiences in real self defense situations. In both cases I was carrying hi cap magazines in my weapons and I affirmed that yes indeed a revolver would have done the job. So now instead of continuing to point out other people's experiences can you please stop with the anger defending your position and share with me your real life self defense and or gunfight experience that has led you to rabidly defend your stance that a revolver will not cut it and has led you to start slinging unwelcome insults in it's defense. Thank you.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

I just want to add to this because i am sure you are going to come back slinging more insults that I am ignorant, arrogant, or whatnot. I can counter ANY of your situations with a worse situation showing your hi-cap handgun is not adequate for self defense. I can come up with hypothetical or realistic scenarios to show you that a hicap handgun is also not adequate just as much as you are trying to do with revolvers. So now to my points:

1. Your chances are so slim that you will be in a self defense situation so instead of focusing on the weapon you carry, you should focus on situational awareness and training. In example, if I pull up to a store or bank and there is an armored car there, by habit I go somewhere else because my chances of being in a situation have escalated. I stay out of large crowds because i don't like them, I believe nothing good happens after midnight, and I don't go into areas or situations where my threat levels increase. I have that choice as a free American and I choose wisely.

2. Any situation where rounds are being fired downrange is bad and in a true gunfight that you did not start or respond to, getting involved is a dumb move. You are injecting yourself into a situation where both parties don't know you from adam and can both engage you out of self preservation. Especially when lead is flying and motor skills are dumbed down and people are stressed and having to make snap decisions in fear of their lives. So in the jewelry store incident, you jumping up to defend yourself may just get you shot by one or both parties in the exchange. yu have just DOUBLED your chances of getting a dirt nap. The criminal sees you as a threat because you are not with them so you must be against him, and the store employees just know you are in their store, not a family member or employee, probably with the criminals, and therefore are a threat. Smart way to get your head blown off. Your best course of action is to jump behind the counter, and go for a door whether it be front or back. Your weapon should come out ONLY in the most dire of circumstances.

3. Comparing police incidents with self defense situations is unfair. In the one example the officer was investigating a marijuana operation, likely high dollar that turned into a 243. How many times do you as a civilian respond to calls of reported marijuana farms? he should have had backup or a carbine with him but I will not armchair QB his decisions. There was another where the officer was responding to a 211 that turned out to be a soon to be three striker that wasn't going back. How many robberies do you respond to a civilian?

4. Coming up with situations to use as examples is ridiculous. How would you have responded to the North Hollywood shootout if you were caught in it? better than the all the officers who responded? You would snap up with your hicap handgun and make perfectly placed head shots with walls of lead flying in every direction? No. Revolver or hicap you would be desperately looking for concealment and cover and praying you made it. So for any type of handgun I can come up with situations that would render them ineffective as well. Look at the brave fellow in the tyler, TX shootout, Mark Wilson who used his .45 to engage an individual with an ak-47 and was killed because the perp was wearing body armor. So in those cases, revolver and or hicap did no good.

5. So back to answering the question, YES a revolver is perfectly adequate for self defense. Train with it, learn situational awareness, and don't willfully put yourself in harms way. make smart choices on where you go, what you do, and who you hang out with. Your chances of even being a victim or in a shootout are a lot less than your chances of dying in a car accident so stop sweating it. Carry what you want and be done with it but don't tell someone else that their choice is inadequate by quoting real or fantasy scenarios when the same scenarios can be turned around on you to "prove" your hicap handgun may be inadequate as well.

VIP Member
    "It will never happen to you" is a hypothesis at best. I hope you are right, but I'm not willing to bet my life on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "It will never happen to you" is a hypothesis at best. I hope you are right, but I'm not willing to bet my life on it.
    Did you even read a single thing I wrote? It already happened to me twice... once as a civilian in self defense and once at work. In both cases the revolver would have sufficed. You might was well walk around with a combat load and a carbine with the "It will never happen to you" attitude so revolvers are insufficient.You carry what you want, myself and THOUSANDS of others in this country are doing just fine with revolvers. How may round have you fired in a gunfight? In self defense? Did the hi-cap mags make a difference? How many people do you know not in LE or the military that have been in a gunfight? How many marijuana farms have you put under surveillance as a civilian? I know a guy,who knows a guy, who read an internet article...... I hate repeating myself.
    Magnum and Secret Spuk like this.

Gunfights for non-le/military are like three-waysex.

It does happen...is fun to talk about, and it's cool to be ready for a 3-way, read about them, download and buy 'training material'...

But more often than not, it will not happen, and if it does happen, it's going to be a total shock because it's not going to go the way you imagined it would.

True stories about gunfights begin the same way penthouse letters begin, and they use a lot of the same verbs and expressions: "

Dear Penthouse/Gum Magazine...I never thought it would happen to me. I stopped off to pick up a memory stick at Office Depo and a case of 8.5x11 paper when...it was unreal...things happened so fast be the seemed like they were going slow!...I moved and then shot him/her in the face...and then it was all over. It was mind blowing!"

They will both be more about what you can do with what you have with you at the time rather than what you have at home, or would have under ideal situations.

They also, for the most part, involve hanging around in situations in which they are likely to occur, rather than out of the blue.

VIP Member
    "Did you even read a single thing I wrote?"

Sure I read it, and responded with one case I know of where a revolver would likely not have sufficed. Your response prompted my brief follow-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "Did you even read a single thing I wrote?"

Sure I read it, and responded with one case I know of where a revolver would likely not have sufficed. Your response prompted my brief follow-up.
    and I responded with a case where any handgun wouldn't have sufficed and made the point that I can do that for every case you can respond where a revolver would not have sufficed..... touche? or did you miss that post?

Comparing police incidents with self defense situations is unfair. In the one example the officer was investigating a marijuana operation, likely high dollar that turned into a 243. How many times do you as a civilian respond to calls of reported marijuana farms? he should have had backup or a carbine with him but I will not armchair QB his decisions. There was another where the officer was responding to a 211 that turned out to be a soon to be three striker that wasn't going back. How many robberies do you respond to a civilian?
    So back to answering the question, YES a revolver is perfectly adequate for self defense. Train with it, learn situational awareness, and don't willfully put yourself in harms way. make smart choices on where you go, what you do, and who you hang out with. Your chances of even being a victim or in a shootout are a lot less than your chances of dying in a car accident so stop sweating it. Carry what you want and be done with it but don't tell someone else that their choice is inadequate by quoting real or fantasy scenarios when the same scenarios can be turned around on you to "prove" your hicap handgun may be inadequate as well.

VIP Member
    In all that cut-and-paste, I have lost sight of the points you are trying to make. Sorry.

I expected you would. Nice trying to talk to you

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links