Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

This is a discussion on Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? Will you? Use your tools wisely. Having something is better than having nothing. What you do ...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore???????
    Will you? Use your tools wisely. Having something is better than having nothing. What you do with your tools is your business. A wooden stake can be used very effectively for survival. You should be able to answer your own question at this point.
    wmhawth and Secret Spuk like this.

2. Remove Ads

I say it can cut it quite well with the right person behind it (as with any handgun for that matter) I don't carry it, but I have a 686 at my bedside every night.

Ive always liked revolvers and I would think for a weapon that has been around (design wise) this long it can probably still keep up with a semi pistol. IT will have its draw backs to a magazine fed pistol 5/6/9 to 8 (single stack) or 15 (dual stack) but if you can hit what you need to one shot (most occasions) should be all you need. But this is just my opinion.

Its the same reason I want a 1911 yes it only holds 8+1 rounds compared to a glock that can hold 14+1 but with the proper practice and training 1 shot should be all you need.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Massad Ayoob seems to think so...

He touches on it slightly here, but apparently he does favor the Beretta 92 for his bedside pistol.

For those would would rather stay here... Here's the paragraph from the link.

Finally, the reliable old revolver is still the general recommendation for first-time handgunners. I managed to win the Stock Service Revolver title with a Smith & Wesson Model 625, the lineal descendant of the World War I S&W 1917 model that was designed to fire the .45 Auto service cartridge with the rounds held together by metal clips. Modern “moon clips” allow a very fast reload of this accurate six-shooter. Half a dozen rounds will still get you through the great majority of “shots fired” home defense situations.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Most of the time, a revolver in capable hands will be sufficient.

Could there be incidents where a revolver would not be sufficient? Sure, but their likelihood, while possibly growing are small. There could be incidents where even a high cap would be insufficient. Once the number of armed assailants surpasses your ability to eliminate them before being taken out yourself regardless of available ammo, your weapon choice is academic.

There have only been a couple times carrying a revolver that I thought it would be insufficient to defend myself and they could not be called normal. I don't think that a high cap pistol would have made me feel any better. Fortunately, at those times I had a Reising in my hands.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Most of the time, being unarmed is sufficient.

A Riesling in your hands? Drinking and firearms. . . . .

VIP Member
    I’m impressed with how long and lively this thread has become, and that in itself speaks to the testament of the revolvers’ viability. Though I retired my autoloaders for a simple snub I remain a neutral party in the camp. I noticed a majority of comments relate to round count and that is certainly a valid point although I personally don’t feel compromised. When I was younger I wanted to be loaded down for bear and the 18-rounds I carried on my Sam Brown including the six loaded .357 was sufficient. I kept a box of 50 in the glovebox but never needed them. Today I’m older and not as paranoid of a multiple assailant attack. I simply have to consider my age, life expectancy and my abilities in relation with my comfort zone.

As for conceal carry I simply haven’t found an autoloader that is small enough and reliable enough to carry concealed without its own set of compromises.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    And I am quite happy with my Glock 19 and three extra mags. Didn't that all work out nicely?

Quote Originally Posted by geohans View Post
    Most of the time, being unarmed is sufficient.

A Riesling in your hands? Drinking and firearms. . . . .
    I'm guessing that is a rhetorical question, with a spelling variation for levity. If i'm wrong please correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I'm guessing that is a rhetorical question, with a spelling variation for levity. If i'm wrong please correct me.
    He's pulling your leg a bit.

That was my assumption.

Shoulda been a winky.

I dig my revolvers a lot. However, even my j-frames are the about the same size as a glock 17 corner to corner and cylinder width. Lately, I've been considering a pocket auto because of their incredibly small sizes - therefore being with me for protection.

Round count in a handgun is not a factor for me. I would rather shoot and evade than stick around and reload - and that goes for any gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    And I am quite happy with my Glock 19 and three extra mags. Didn't that all work out nicely?
    This post should be in the will a glock cut it for self defense thread. How many times have you fired that glock in self defense? three more mags and you would qualify for a combat load.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    This post should be in the will a glock cut it for self defense thread. How many times have you fired that glock in self defense? three more mags and you would qualify for a combat load.
    OK, will a Glock cut it for self-defense at least as well as a revolver? If not, why not?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Links