Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

This is a discussion on Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by azchevy Can you point out a situation where 33 rounds of 9mm saved the day? I am being serious. Please point out ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Can you point out a situation where 33 rounds of 9mm saved the day? I am being serious. Please point out a few civilian self defense situations where hicap mags and a lot of ammo saved the day. I am very curious to see these stats.
    I really can't. Nor do I really care if it has or not. I can easily carry my pistol with 17 rounds in it, and 1 spare 16 round mag without a problem. It may be overkill to some, but I say carry as much as you can. For the few weeks that we had gang issues where I worked, I carried two spare mags for that 9mm, and kept my .40 and a spare mag in the truck. Did having that many rounds help me? Nope, not at all. But had I needed them, I'd have darn sure been happy I had them.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Anthony; Welcome, good to see you here.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Anthony; Welcome, good to see you here.
    Thanks Bill.
    I did post a quick introduction btw.

Just a 'btw'.
    Nobody can argue that a hi-cap pistol isn't superior in general IMHO. - But there are a few cases IMO, where a small revolver will be better.
    a) Jacket pocket carry and firing from inside the pocket.
    b) Palming a gun and carrying it in the hand in a dark street.
    c) "Bad breath distance" shootings, where we just will not be able to resolve a pistol malfunction, and might well be pushing our handgun into the 'BGs' belly.

All typical civilian type situations.

crimanals lose some of thier nerve when thier compadres are hitting the ground. but it DOES sound like a good arguement for a new purchase. LOL
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Thanks Bill.
    I did post a quick introduction btw.
    There goes the neighborhood. J/K

How you doing bro?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Simple answer, YES.

I have a lot of revolvers and carry them often, BUT, I understand your sentiment completely. I must admit that my last purchase was a high capacity .45ACP. Mostly for HD, travel in the truck, and some CC when attire can cover it. You've gotta carry what you feel comfortable with and I understand how the events of our society today can certainly shape our idea of comfort. Nothing wrong with that at all. I think we all need to re-evaluate our choices in the context of the changing environment on occasion.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    In the home, nothing wrong with a little shottie at your disposal. AR has gone out with me once when a van load of morons decided to shoot up an apartment and drive toward my house which was loaded up with kids. They ended up being pulled over very near my property line, (on 17 acres) where I could hear the cop on the loudspeaker conducting a felony stop. Didn't know why the felony stop until later. Ended up being a van load of 4 and if any of them would have charged my kid-filled yard to escape the police, it would have been a grave mistake. So far, I've ended up grabbing 12 ga. and AR and each had it's advantage at the time. I would consider both for around the house where I live anyway, but starting with the shottie for IN the house. Anyways, sorry for the story there but the subject reminded me of that. I don't think anyone on this forum would try and talk you out of getting another gun.
    Not too many situations a 12 gauge can't master.
    RevolvingMag likes this.

If I shoot the first thug in the face
    Thank you. As I always tell people, aim for the face, always the face. Nobody hit in the face will keep fighting. Whether you hit em with a .22 or .455 Casull, if you hit them in the face they won't keep fighting. Of course, if you do hit someone in the face with the .455 casull, you will need new carpet..........messy.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    A well executed plan can play out to be as much of a factor as a well executed weapon regardless of said weapon being a revolver or not. If you can shoot BG1 in the face & make the rest run out of fear then Kudos. Your plan of action with said weapon of choice is going to be contingent upon specific circumstances. If you're forced in a situation where you have to confront BGs then you have to do what you have to do but there may also be situations where you're best to stay put. As we talked about on another thread, its not a good idea to clear a house out by yourself and even the experts don't do this without back-up.

Know not only your weapon's limits but your own as well.

Keeping your family safe and staying alive is #1 priority. Confronting BGs regardless of age is full of unknown contingencies. Keep the odds in your favor as much as you can.

I believe revolvers are an excellent choice, but they are not my first choice either. The only revolver I carry is a S&W .38 Airweight. I have thought about others just haven't been high on my priority list.

If I was aloud to open carry two 44 magnums would look cool.

Go Ahead Punk... Make My Day! Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Many people argue that you need as many rounds on tap in a semi-auto as you can. However off duty I prefer tried and true revolvers such as my Security Six, 642, and 629 smiths for carry. My 1911 goes out at times too, but I love my wheel guns. Besides I don't care how many bad guys I have coming at me, if I am popping them in the face and chest as they come at me it does not matter if I have 6 or 60 rounds.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    There goes the neighborhood. J/K

How you doing bro?
    I'm OK Guantes.
    Thanks for asking, and a great pleasure to see you still active on a Forum.
    All the best buddy.
    Tony.

Can you point out a situation where 33 rounds of 9mm saved the day? I am being serious. Please point out a few civilian self defense situations where hicap mags and a lot of ammo saved the day. I am very curious to see these stats.
    Well, consider THIS which happened very recently and aired just today. Four People Held For Trial For Shooting At SEPTA Bus CBS Philly Consider the firepower on display here and tell ME if you'd rather be armed with a revolver or something with more rounds ready to launch without a reload? From my point of view, if I've got my M642 in this situation I'm taking cover and trying to look like a turtle rather than play the tiger. In fact, even if I had my Beretta M92 or my H&K P30 and TWO spare mags, I'm probably not going to engage this group, unless I have to!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My carry/bump in the night is my Taurus. 12rd mag is faulty, so I've 'only' got 10 .45ACPs on hand. The 12ga with 4 rounds of Centurion Multi-Defense loaded and ready to go. (My fiancee has the .357 on her side of the bed- she is my backup) I don't think there are many people that WOULDN'T wet themselves as they were running away. Before I got my .45 or my 12ga, my .357 was my only gun. It was my go to for whatever I needed a gun for. Never had to use it, but it was there. And I felt more safe with that in hand than I often do with my 12ga or .45- because I know that gun WILL NOT fail. Only reason for it to not 'go bang' is because the ammo is bad somehow.
    --------
    Wake up, grab the .45, turn off safety. Keep .45 in right hand as I grab 12ga by the fore-stock with my left hand. Proceed as necessary either leading with 12ga or .45 as whichever is needed.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yes I agree that "mindset" & training will carry the day.

17rounds of 9mm can be fired by a scared person in a very few seconds---but when it runs dry it runs no more.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links