Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios) - Page 3

Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

This is a discussion on Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm pretty sure that once they know you are armed nobody is gonna be first in line to be a bullet sponge to help his ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

VIP Member
    I'm pretty sure that once they know you are armed nobody is gonna be first in line to be a bullet sponge to help his friends get you. BGs aren't like soldiers on an important mission, willing to die for their country or friends. Once you drop the first one they aren't gonna line up and count how many of them there are compared to how many bullets you have left.

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.
    Bark'n, Magnum and Hoganbeg like this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    even if you ride the bus, 5 well placed shots will take the fight out of 3 'players'

but i am of the belief that being on public transpiration precludes carrying of weapons....trains, planes buses, subways.
    i have no hard evidence, just what i have read and 2nd hand info. some help here please how we can stay safe while
    making use of public transportation?

me, I'm gonna wait on technology to advance a bit before i make use of a bus
    Scotty....please advance me to the following coordinates now. Claude out

--------------
    mindset of those carrying 10 or more rounds vs the 5 or 6 shot revolver or 1911 style.
    with or without a secondary thats a revolver...

I'm thinking that a great many of those who have carried for decades are content with a 1911 or revolver
    amount of ammunition. i am speaking relative to why they carry and that the years have demonstrated that large amounts of rounds on board are not necessary. it may be that we are less likely to go stupid places and do stupid things. coupled with years of experience and well running SA and thinking and planning what we are donig--less impulsive. FWIW
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Moderator
    I think that a revolver would be fine in probably 95% of most encounters in a perfect world.

In an increasingly crazy world, that 95% might not be enough and you'll wish you had more rounds with faster reload capability.

Revolvers are old technology. There are better tools out there than that.
    10thmtn likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My Opinion is this...

Any firearm is better than no firearm at all. If you do have a fiearm you must be responsible enough to become proficient with that firearm. Much thought should be given to scenarios. If you can figure out a reason, and a way for a home invasion to take place at your home... It's possible that someone else can figure out the same thing.

Firearms choice is personal. As I said any firearm is better than no firearm. Not everyone lives on an estate with roaming dogs, and 1000 candlepower lighting. Each indivdual situation is different, depending on where you hang your hat. What works on a rural farm may not work for defense of an apartment. Consideration of ones surroundings is paramount when choosing a firearm.

Revolvers... The same revolvers that were manufactured long before any of us were... wellll most of us were born have been protecting homes, and lives for over a hundred years. Although the idea of 17 rounds is attractive. It's also added liability. Nothing wrong with using a 17 round wondergun... But revolvers have been dancing at this party for a long time... And dance well... My point is that there is nothing wrong with using a revolver... History proves it. So if it aint broke.. no need to fix it.

Spuk!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    i say its time to up the firepower....anybody else?????

Bruce
    Due to things going on around here anymore (typically not a bad place at all , but the home invasions and killings are UP this summer) ..... I have my shotgun loaded & ready, and now my AR as well. I'm with you. And that's besides 2 semi-autos next to my bed (and I'm a revolver guy). LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey bruce: "When it bleeds it leads"--the all-to-true slogan of the news media. As Goebbels said--you tell a big lie enough times it becomes fact. Not saying that there is not a lot of crime, but when the media find every bit of it and focus on it, it becomes bigger than it really is. You may disagree and probably do as you read my reply but that is my opinion--then again, I am blessed to live in an area where safe living is still the order of the day. As to revolver use---when your multimag, multishot semi auto whatever "jams" and odds are it will, my revolver keeps going. Statistics show (and yes what ifs are out there) that in a confrontation, less than 5 shots are involved--again, my revolver is just fine. I do not know how good you are at this firearm defense thing but there is a very good chance that the slime is as good or better than you and more than 5 shots does not bode well for you as you lie incapacitated with your remaining 40 or 50 shots. Last thing: if Guantes has a revolver, that is good enough for me. Truly hope your sense of foreboding is unfounded. God Bless

I have both revolvers and pistols. For me, it would be the wheelgun when you hear that bump in the night. Pistols carry more rounds, no question, but when I pull the trigger I want to hear a bang and with an revolver 99.9% of the time you will, I just don't feel that with a pistol. Too many parts and operations to go wrong.
    Magnum likes this.

Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore?
    Look at the advantages of a revolver.
    It is reliable.
    It is simple to use.
    It is generally less expensive to buy.
    It requires almost no maintenance.

My first H/D handgun was a S&W model 65. 4" barrel, .38 or .357, stainless.
    I still think that was a good choice for a rookie shooter.

Most gunfights involve 2 shots and two seconds.

If you need 45 rounds, you might want to consider running.

If people want to shoot it out with a homeowner,
    they know the owner and something fishy is going on. (drugs?)
    Magnum likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Thank you. As I always tell people, aim for the face, always the face. Nobody hit in the face will keep fighting. Whether you hit em with a .22 or .455 Casull, if you hit them in the face they won't keep fighting. Of course, if you do hit someone in the face with the .455 casull, you will need new carpet..........messy.
    That in bold in your quote I need to commit on, NO MATTER WHAT you shoot someone with or where you shoot them be prepared and do shoot them again.

Once you start to shoot keep shooting till there is no longer a threat or you run out of ammo. Then it is time for the fastest reload you have ever done.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey bruce: "When it bleeds it leads"--the all-to-true slogan of the news media. As Goebbels said--you tell a big lie enough times it becomes fact. Not saying that there is not a lot of crime, but when the media find every bit of it and focus on it, it becomes bigger than it really is. You may disagree and probably do as you read my reply but that is my opinion--then again, I am blessed to live in an area where safe living is still the order of the day. As to revolver use---when your multimag, multishot semi auto whatever "jams" and odds are it will, my revolver keeps going. Statistics show (and yes what ifs are out there) that in a confrontation, less than 5 shots are involved--again, my revolver is just fine. I do not know how good you are at this firearm defense thing but there is a very good chance that the slime is as good or better than you and more than 5 shots does not bode well for you as you lie incapacitated with your remaining 40 or 50 shots. Last thing: if Guantes has a revolver, that is good enough for me. Truly hope your sense of foreboding is unfounded. God Bless
    The bold in your post triggered something for me. NO matter what you carry if you carry it because someone else does, but can't hit Sh^^ with it. Then it is the wrong gun for you or you need to practice lots and fast because you may need it tomorrow.

To me it isn't the type of gun I carry that makes me safe, but the gun I can hit what I shoot at that does. If I shoot a dime size group while on the move with a 22 but can't hit a sheet of typing paper with a full mag with anything larger. The 22 is my best carry gun.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Can you point out a situation where 33 rounds of 9mm saved the day? I am being serious. Please point out a few civilian self defense situations where hicap mags and a lot of ammo saved the day. I am very curious to see these stats.
    It's not 9mm, but took a lot of rounds:
    Lead and diamonds: the Richmond jewelry store shootout [Blast from the Past]

Certainly something to think about.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    For home defense I think the ideal firearm is a 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded with buckshot or birdshot (ammo choice depending on the type of home). Nonetheless, if all one has to defend the castle is a revolver, I think it is still sufficient for home defense, as long as you know how to use it properly.

I think that having a high capacity semi-automatic pistol, a shotgun or a carbine available with lots of ammo instead of a revolver, is a good idea in case that the home invasion is done by more than one attacker. Nonetheless, the chances of having to engage in a gunfight with 2 or 3 armed robbers inside your home and using over 5 rounds of ammo is slim. But better to play it safe. No one knows what might happen these days.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Will a revolver work for Self defense, Yes. Will it work in ALL cases, No. We all have to make a choice as to HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH. I love wheel guns, but I do not carry them, nor do I use them for Home defense, but that doesnt mean they wont work. Its all about the context of your situation. Learn that and you will be all set.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Circumstances will affect virtually any situation and what will be an adequate defense weapon in that situation. I consider HD and active shooters, such as mall shooters, etc as rather unique, in that they are quite likely to involve holding cover and engagements that may be extended compared to other situations. HD, is further unique, in that it allows introduction of a long gun by the defender, where it would be impractical or impossible in other situations. While a high cap handgun may be of advantage, the use of cover in these situations is more favorable to reloading lower cap weapons, such as revolvers than other situations might be.

In the more conventional incidents, such as robbery, assault, etc, where attaining or holding cover is much less likely, there is a point that is frequently overlooked in the discussion of revolvers vs high cap handguns. That is, regardless of the capacity of your weapon, how many armed aggressors do you think that you can take on before you are shot/incapacitated, irrespective of how many rounds your weapon holds. It is my belief that once that number of armed aggressors exceeds two, your odds of prevailing are reduced significantly, irrespective of the capacity of your weapon. Information from LE shootings seems to indicate that criminals are becoming more proficient in the use of weapons which reduces the odds even more against multiple aggressors.

None of this is an attack on high cap weapons, but merely to show that their advantages may not be a great as sometimes perceived. The choice of a weapon is a personal thing based on many different criteria that may be particular to the individual.

While I appreciate the confidence, I would not wish for anyone to choose a particular platform just because I do, unless they are proficient with and have their own confidence in that platform.

There may be times that a high cap weapon would be a significant advantage, but I do not believe that they are as frequent as often perceived.
    wmhawth, mprp, atctimmy and 3 others like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    man,

it seems like every story i read about a home-invasion, mugging, assault, robbery, rape, etc it is involving SEVERAL thugs........

example:

Seven teens arrested after older couple terrorized, beaten during home invasion | NewsOK.com

as a matter of fact, im feeling underpowered with my Beretta 92 and three 15-round mags full of hollow points, and a Glock 26 for backup........

im seriously considering either an AR-15 or a 12-gauge with a high-capacity tube.......

its getting ridiculously violent out here, folks.......this stuff is happening every day in the news.....

i say its time to up the firepower....anybody else?????

Bruce

I can tell you this.....There is no such thing as TOO MUCH firepower.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links