Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

This is a discussion on Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, lots of people have been sent to Hell by the revolver in SD scenarios. Of course it still "cuts it," as long as you ...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

Well, lots of people have been sent to Hell by the revolver in SD scenarios. Of course it still "cuts it," as long as you can hit with it. But really if you're talking about an invasion by an army of thugs, you use the revolver only to fight your way to your AR...
    DefConGun, Secret Spuk and Zeke2A like this.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    In the more conventional incidents, such as robbery, assault, etc, where attaining or holding cover is much less likely, there is a point that is frequently overlooked in the discussion of revolvers vs high cap handguns. That is, regardless of the capacity of your weapon, how many armed aggressors do you think that you can take on before you are shot/incapacitated, irrespective of how many rounds your weapon holds. It is my belief that once that number of armed aggressors exceeds two, your odds of prevailing are reduced significantly, irrespective of the capacity of your weapon. Information from LE shootings seems to indicate that criminals are becoming more proficient in the use of weapons which reduces the odds even more against multiple aggressors.

There may be times that a high cap weapon would be a significant advantage, but I do not believe that they are as frequent as often perceived.
    +1. In considering the multiple BG attack, they are not going to stand there and take turns getting shot. You may have a couple seconds at the most, time to get off about 5 shots regardless of capacity. Place them well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with revolvers, the bigger the better, in the home.

Shockwave put it nicely.

None of these punks will stick around to assess your ability to hit a standing target.

From article;

Those arrested were: Trevion Moten, 16; Jemarcus Davis, 16; Kevin Mitchell, 15; Jamarionte Bruner, 15; Damion Gilbreath, 17; Robert Miller, 14; and Fayzzon Davis, 15.

^^^^As for this bunch of knuckledraggers:^^^^^^^^^^

Gas 'em, there is no rehabing these dreggs of humanity.

If a BG dies as the result of pointing a gun at me, then he has merely succumbed to an occupational hazard of being a thug
    21bubba likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have both Revolvers and Semi-Autos. Why stick with just one kind of firearm? I carry my Rossi .38spl just as much as my Smith & Wesson 9mm. Both handguns serve the purpose and none is more superior to the other. It is just a matter of personal preferrence and ability.

Not everyone is comfortable with semi-autos, racking the slide, changing magazines, recoil, etc. Not everyone is comfortable with revolvers either. Ejecting the spent casings, hand-loading one cartridge at a time, or using a speed loader, etc. Again, personal preferrence as to what kind of handgun serves the purpose and that is self-defense.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I think revolvers are OK for SD, in most cases. Revolvers are easy to train someone to use and for the most part require less maintenance than most auto-loaders. I think the choose of firearms, depends on where you are at and your risk factor. In a large city I would want more rounds. In the country I want more stopping power. Around the house I carry a Ruger GP-100 or a Taurus PT1911 and keep other long guns secured around the place. I live in the country with a long driveway, the driveway has sensors to let us know some is driving up. I doubt most bad guys are going to walk the 1.5 miles from the main road to the house and deal with the dogs.
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    While I love to carry my 640, I find myself carrying my 3" .45acp with 10+1 capacity more frequently. It is true that in most circumstances, 5 rounds will get it done, my concern is that if I end up in one of those other circumstances where 5 shots won't do. Such circumstances can be multiple perps, flash mobs or other such events where 5 rounds, regardless of delivery vehicle or marksmanship, won't be enough. I can get 31 shots off with my 10+1 .45 in about the same time as 10 from the revolver. Given that the times seem to be becoming more perilous, I find myself opting for more capacity more often. Both guns are roughly the same size and are equally easy to carry and conceal.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I agree with other posts here. It depends on your skill level with it. I used to have a .357 Colt Trooper 6" barrel and never felt under gunned with it, actually just the opposite. Having said that I would love to have one of these:

SLP Tactical Shotgun

Why is everyone so concerned with "Flash Mob's"? Whats so scary about a flash mob?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Why is everyone so concerned with "Flash Mob's"? Whats so scary about a flash mob?
    Everyone? So far it's only one post that mentions it.

However, it probably goes back to the origins of the phrase in the 1800's, where it did refer to a subculture of female prisoners. That would give it a detrimental definition.

Today's usage bears no resemblance to what occurred 200 years ago and generally refers to a crowd of people known to do unusual, but not violent, things.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    You forgot to tell us how many of the 15 rounds were hits.
    Doesn't matter if they were hits or not. The fact is that he used them and needed more. They were both (the cop and BG) was shooting under two cars.

Also, a person can AND have still lived to fight after taking 15+ hits to the body.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Here's a scenario from a few months back.

"I attacked him and took a severe beating to the head," Planthaber told FoxNews.com. "But I got him off of her long enough for her to scramble to the room where she keeps her pink .38 special.

Read more: Armed Beauty Queen Fatally Shoots Intruder in Florida Home Invasion - FoxNews.com
    Worked for her!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Everyone? So far it's only one post that mentions it.

However, it probably goes back to the origins of the phrase in the 1800's, where it did refer to a subculture of female prisoners. That would give it a detrimental definition.

Today's usage bears no resemblance to what occurred 200 years ago and generally refers to a crowd of people known to do unusual, but not violent, things.
    I brought up flash mobs. While the probability of being caught up by one is remote, should it happen, having more firepower available than a snubby would be desirable - at least for me. As for flash mobs being non-violent, I am not sure where you are getting that idea. While not all flash mobs are violent, it is not unusual that they are. These are my thoughts, YMMV.

Here are a few links to flash mob activity that was violent. The purpose of these links is not to hijack the thread into a discussion on flash mobs or other issues. My purpose is to reply to the above post that posits flash mobs are not violent and to explain why I see them as a reason to move from a snubby to a larger capacity, faster reloading weapon which is on topic with the OP.

Milwaukee - http://theconservativetreehouse.word...-mob-beatings/

Chicago - http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=81873

Philly http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...h-mob-violence

Anna Taylor, Philly again http://articles.philly.com/2010-04-1...er-anna-taylor

Emily Guendelsberger - Philly http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/n...mall-and-large

Thomas Fitzgerald - Philly again http://philadelphiacriminallawnews.c...b-beating.html

Shaina Perry - Milwaukee http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/125027704.html

Carter Strange - Columbia SC http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/u...mg|FRONTPAGE|p

Dawid Strucinski - video of the beating in Bayonne, NJ. I don't condone the language in some of the comments, but the report and related video is elucidating http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwlgcWOMRY

Hoang Nguyen - victim of the "Knock-out Game" You can look this one up as I can't find a link that does not include a racial element in the title or content and I am not trying to make this a racial post.
    Last edited by ksholder; August 8th, 2011 at 05:09 AM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Everyone has to make their own choice of platform, caliber, capacity, etc. based on their own specific circumstances. What's right for one may not be for another. I have a number of both revolvers and semiautos, and the one I choose to carry depends on the given circumstances of the day. Sometimes I carry one of each, when the circumstance necessitates, which is the best of both worlds for me.
    wmhawth likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Well, consider THIS which happened very recently and aired just today. Four People Held For Trial For Shooting At SEPTA Bus CBS Philly Consider the firepower on display here and tell ME if you'd rather be armed with a revolver or something with more rounds ready to launch without a reload? From my point of view, if I've got my M642 in this situation I'm taking cover and trying to look like a turtle rather than play the tiger. In fact, even if I had my Beretta M92 or my H&K P30 and TWO spare mags, I'm probably not going to engage this group, unless I have to!
    What are you doing on a bus in downtown Philly to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    An off duty Detroit police officer was in a shoot out. All 15 rounds from this weapon was used before he reloaded.

The whole, "hit one, rest will go" theory is a very false sense of hope. I carry my .357 under very limited conditions. For everything else, my Sigma takes the ride.
    Can you cite the article so we can see what the circumstances were? I am not big on hearsay.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links