Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

This is a discussion on Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "You will probably live or die with the ammo thats in your gun".(Ken Hackathorn).So remember,BRING ENOUGH GUN!...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

"You will probably live or die with the ammo thats in your gun".(Ken Hackathorn).So remember,BRING ENOUGH GUN!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    A revolver might or it might now. I think it depends on who is breaking in and how motivated they are. However with that said I still prefer a gun with a higher capacity. I like my Glock 17 for my handgun but for home defense I think an AR15 or a shotgun is a good choice.

I think revolvers still work fine. I reach for a Springfield XD9 when something goes bump in the night, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with a SP101 or GP100. In fact, I'm looking at a Ruger LCR for a carry piece for summertime, and I'm looking to eventually get a Gemini Custom GP100 with moonclips as a HD/whatever-I-need-it-for gun.

Any gun will suck if you don't practice enough with it.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

For home defense I use an SGL21 with soft points, and a glock 17 with HP rounds.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

VIP Member
    Bruce, I still get goose bumps thinking about your encounter at the car wash. I'm late getting to this thread, but thinking about your prior situation at the car wash, do you think it would have gone differently if you pulled a snubby? I think not. I think they would have been outa there just as fast and with no interest in finding out for sure what was pointed at them.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

for years every time I walk'd by the magazine rack at the grocery store, seemed like every shooting/gun/mag's got a cover of the latest best thing..a bottom feeder..small medium large whatever and when-ever it wasnt a spring gun I'd give the rag a secound look...Ive bought in to the hype too..Ive owned a dozen different autoloaders...own a couple slide guns .... know more about the 1911 and its clone's than I want to..... EDC a revolver...hunt with a revolver......just sayn

Revolver is just fine. Feel plenty secure with my SP-101 with speed loader but then again I do carry a 1911 out and about as well.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You are taking about all the crime in your area when you were 16.... yet it was illegal for you to own a handgun at that time.... yet you lived through all of that without firing a shot from your hicap mag that you would have been committing a felony by carrying. So your argument was based upon the commission of a felony yet my statements were defeated. Classic.

How many rounds in self defense have you fired through your hicap mags? How many times did you have to reload?

I work for a living and always have, therefore I have always been able to afford a vehicle. When I was 16 I had money saved up from paper routes and cutting lawns and raking leaves, and I paid for my first vehicle out of my own pocket and the gas I paid for by stocking a grocery store shelves and washing dishes.... why? because I didn't need to or want to ride the bus. I would rather walk. Life is full of choices.

I rest my case.
    Where did I say that I was basing crime in my area when I was 16. And where did I say that I was carrying a gun at 16? You are trying to make a point out of nothing.....
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Where did I say that I was basing crime in my area when I was 16. And where did I say that I was carrying a gun at 16? You are trying to make a point out of nothing.....
    Still here? Maybe you should carry a 1919 with extra belts.... times are tough..... my revolver has done just fine.

Don't ask if you have enough gun.

Ask if you are good enough to get what you need out of the gun you have.

Most people fretting about the adaquacy of a J-frame probably don't own snapcaps for their gun, haven't attended a pistol class or shot a revolver seriously in training or competition.

Go shoot some IDPA with a revolver.
    Go do some classes with the dam thing.
    Practice reloads till you are fast with them.

Then come back and give your opinion.

But talking about it as if it's a dead rat without seeing if it's going to perform, or knowing that you gave it a run in training under stressful conditions?

Please.

You may have to fight smarter with a revolver and you might need a higher level of skill to use it effectively - if so, I suggest you bust your rear and acquire the skill.

VIP Member
    MitchelCT - In theory I agree with your post. Let me note that I am not the best wheel gunner in the world nor do I have the time, funds or natural ability to attain this rank. I am also not the best autoloader gunner in the world either. That having been said:

- I do own (and use) snap caps in my J frames
    - I have attended a pistol class - TDI's snubby class
    - I have/do shoot my snubby seriously in training.
    - I have practiced reloads and am pretty fast with them.

I also have trained, shot and practiced reloads with my autoloaders. All things considered, I can get off more on-target shots in the same amount of time from my 10+1 with 2 extra 10 rnd mags than I can with my 5 hole J frame and 5 speedloaders - if I even carried that many.

I say to each his own, and there are times I am comfortable carrying a j-frame. That having been said, if I have to defend myself against a flash mob, I would rather have my 10+1 autoloader with 2 extra mags (31 rnds) than my 5 hole snubby with 2 speedloaders (15 rnds). I hope to never have to use either and that the time, effort and money training has all been just for fun, but if the SHTF, I would rather be overarmed than underarmed.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Started out with N-frames and owned a whole bunch of auto-loaders. Now that I'm entering the winter of my life I'm back with a revolver. Funny how that all worked out.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post

- I do own (and use) snap caps in my J frames
    - I have attended a pistol class - TDI's snubby class
    - I have/do shoot my snubby seriously in training.
    - I have practiced reloads and am pretty fast with them.
    You have a basis for an opinion which actually means something, and dam anyone who questions your choices on this issue because you've done work most people haven't and never will.

I don't care what choices anyone makes; however, I give no respect to those who make a choice based on ignorance.

You obviously are not making a choice based on ignorance, so I don't see how my comments would remotely apply to you.

The people fretting "Oh...is 5 shots enough!?!?!" who's revolver has never gotten too hot to touch? Feh.

I just want to hear from people who have actually been in a self defense situation with either and auto loader or a wheelgun and can definitively state:

A. if they had a wheelgun he outcome would have been different

B. if they had an autoloader the outcome would have been different

I really don't care for armchair qb's who have never been in a high stress situation where rounds were fired in self defense stating theory based upon what they read on the internet.

I can honestly say that it would have made no difference if I had a j-frame instead of my BHP and the outcome of my situation would most definitely not have changed.

That being said, I am comfortable as all get out with my wheelgun as a self defense weapon and will not be taking the advice of the internet experts on this one.

I would hate to be the bad guy on the recieving end of my wifes judge
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links