Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

This is a discussion on Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; man, it seems like every story i read about a home-invasion, mugging, assault, robbery, rape, etc it is involving SEVERAL thugs........ example: Seven teens arrested ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

Will a revolver cut it for self defense anymore??????? (scenarios)

man,

it seems like every story i read about a home-invasion, mugging, assault, robbery, rape, etc it is involving SEVERAL thugs........

example:

Seven teens arrested after older couple terrorized, beaten during home invasion | NewsOK.com

as a matter of fact, im feeling underpowered with my Beretta 92 and three 15-round mags full of hollow points, and a Glock 26 for backup........

im seriously considering either an AR-15 or a 12-gauge with a high-capacity tube.......

its getting ridiculously violent out here, folks.......this stuff is happening every day in the news.....

i say its time to up the firepower....anybody else?????

Bruce

2. Remove Ads

If you have an ample caliber and make hits, few will stick around to carry on the fight. The revolver is still good enough if you are.

Do what you feel you need to.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    If it's a home invasion, my little .357 barking will make everyone inside the house scream and grab their ears whether I hit 'em or not
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Revolvers are fine. Revolvers and speed loaders are better. Revolvers, speed loaders, and enough practice to be really proficient with them-Best!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

If I shoot the first thug in the face with a .357 125gr jhp will his friends stick around to have a shootout?

Can you reference to self defense situations where multiple rounds were needed to disable multiple targets and or engage in a drawn out gunfight?

I join the previous statements: I do not see many sticking around when they realize that you are capable and ready to fight back. They will run off as soon as they have a chance.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I think everyone is making sense thus far. There may be cases with robberies with multiple assailants but we don't have multiple cases where there are gun fights accordingly - at least to my knowledge.

I'm going to say that you should make your HD weapon one that you are confident in as well as one that you can proficiently shoot. We had a thread a few days ago where the OP asked about a gun that he wasn't confident about. In my line of reasoning, I'm thinking that you are going to be under a tremendous amount of stress if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to defend yourself with a firearm. Why add to that stress by using a weapon that you lack confidence in? You need variables in your favor and the firearm of choice that you decide to use is pretty much a variable that is in your control, assuming you can afford it, etc.

If you are more confident in an AR or a shotty for HD, then perhaps one of the two should indeed be your HD weapon. If you ask me, you are just looking for an excuse to buy an AR & a shotty. j/k

There are also other factors that are in your control besides the HD weapon that you decide to use as far as preparing for HD. There are threads on here that talk about how you should arrange your bedroom so that you can barricade yourself in the case of multiple attackers. There are also security cameras/security system that you can install as a measure of being prepared for multiple attackers. Don't understimate the power of outside lighting as a deterrence that may cause home invaders to choose another house instead of yours.

Your gun is only one variable in a HD "system". As mentioned earlier, you may need to barricade yourself in your bedroom as opposed to "shooting it out" with the BGs. Depending on the circumstances, you may be better off locked in the BR while on the phone with 911 with your HD weapon close by.

I know your intent was to ask about revolvers so it wasn't my intent to stray off topic but to point out that there's other variables that are at in play with the scenario at hand. A revolver can very much be a part of your HD system if you are confident in it accordingly.

Take care,

I'm better with my wheelies than my semi's. My buddy asked, "what do you carry for reloads?" My answer: "another gun."

I personally would not carry a revolver, but if you feel comfortable, go for it. I'm stick with my 33 rounds of 9mm, 21 rounds of .40, or 15 rounds of .45. A wheel gun may be in my future for pocket carry when I cant carry my full size guns, but as an EDC, I don't think so.

The fact that young teens can do this is sickening. These little thugs have no respect for life and value nothing...except a little exciting 'fun'.
    I agree with some of the posts above...shoot the first few in line and the rest of the 'wet diapers' will run and hide. Those little thugs don't look so tough in a line-up picture, do they?
    As to a revolver...it's not necessarily the weapon, but the user's confidence and skill with the weapon. Your Beretta and Glock are plenty for SD/HD, just practice and develop the mindset for using them.
    SA is a must...do not trust anybody, assume nothing. It's a cruel world out there, so stay alert.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I personally would not carry a revolver, but if you feel comfortable, go for it. I'm stick with my 33 rounds of 9mm, 21 rounds of .40, or 15 rounds of .45. A wheel gun may be in my future for pocket carry when I cant carry my full size guns, but as an EDC, I don't think so.
    Can you point out a situation where 33 rounds of 9mm saved the day? I am being serious. Please point out a few civilian self defense situations where hicap mags and a lot of ammo saved the day. I am very curious to see these stats.
    scout706 and Magnum like this.

In the home, nothing wrong with a little shottie at your disposal. AR has gone out with me once when a van load of morons decided to shoot up an apartment and drive toward my house which was loaded up with kids. They ended up being pulled over very near my property line, (on 17 acres) where I could hear the cop on the loudspeaker conducting a felony stop. Didn't know why the felony stop until later. Ended up being a van load of 4 and if any of them would have charged my kid-filled yard to escape the police, it would have been a grave mistake. So far, I've ended up grabbing 12 ga. and AR and each had it's advantage at the time. I would consider both for around the house where I live anyway, but starting with the shottie for IN the house. Anyways, sorry for the story there but the subject reminded me of that. I don't think anyone on this forum would try and talk you out of getting another gun.
    Yankeejib likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The movie A Clockwork Orange came out in 1971. At that time, the Jetts, now in their 70s, would have been in their 30s.

The key scene in the film is when the Droogies break in on their victims with the excuse, "Help! There's been a terrible car accident - can we use your phone?"

It's not like this is some new, clever strategy for initiating a home invasion. In fact, if anyone came to my door saying that, I'd be racking the 12 gauge within seconds.

The problem here is that the man opened the door. Once he did that, game over. It would not have mattered had he a revolver, a high-capacity semi-automatic, or any kind of long gun. All would have been useless. He's getting the gun-in-the-mouth treatment regardless.

On the other hand, had he wisely grabbed a .357 and called through the (closed) door, "I'll call 911 stay at the accident and render 1st aid" he'd have been fine. Should the miscreants have attempted a break-in from there, he'd have been clear to fire a round through the door. End of story.

It's my personal belief that a well-timed shot will likely in most cases resolve everything. Since I want to be well beyond "most cases" I very much have armed myself with high-capacity semi-automatics ('cause ya never know) but as the classic riddle has it:

There are 12 crows on a powerline. You shoot at one. How many are left?
    oneshot and Magnum like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I know what I like and I carry and use what I like and can shoot the best and feel the most confident with. You need to do the same, learn what you shoot the best and what makes you feel more comfortable. Think of the worst situation you can see yourself in, Now what gun would you feel the best having in your hand? That is the gun I would recommend you carry if at all possible. If that gun is a AR or shotty then it is a bit hard to EDC so what gun fits the bill of being in that situation and feeling good about having on you.

As for me if I was to barricade up in a room or if I had a place (hall or stairs) to funnel them down to a small area of entry (which I don't) I would most likely have my AK or shotty. I would most likely in all other cases have my XD in hand as it is all most always on me if I'm up, but that is just what I like. To each his and her own!
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Of course revolvers will still serve us fine.

I have depended on revolvers for the 23+ years that I have lived in Brazil.
    Plus shotguns and lever actions as my "longs".

I have pistols too, but a revolver is comforting in close range "Bad Breath" civilian encounters, that we civilians tend to find ourselves in.

I no longer 'hunt' my enemies. - They might come to me though.

I have resolved several situations here within these 23+ years, - with revolvers.

Back in uniform...........military (in my case,) police or security, then for sure, I would want a hi-cap pistol (with a little 'J' frame as a 'second gun',) but as a civilian I just plain like my revolvers.
    Plus of course...they are "prettier"!
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links