Lunch today

This is a discussion on Lunch today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got really freaked out at lunch today. Me and the fiancee went to Pizza Inn buffet. It wasn't too crowded, but the place is ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By mattwestm

Thread: Lunch today

Lunch today

I got really freaked out at lunch today. Me and the fiancee went to Pizza Inn buffet. It wasn't too crowded, but the place is always filled with families with younger kids.

About halfway into my meal, I heard BBBBAAAAAMMMM. I quickly looked around and discovered that a child behind me had let a balloon touch a ceiling lamp, thus heating it up and popping it. It was pretty loud, especially in such a small area. Definitely not as loud as a 9mm would have been, but it definitely sounded like at least a 22. I doubt I would have drawn without seeing a firearm, but it was still pretty nerve racking.

The only problem is that I was not carrying today. Unfortunately, it's illegal to CC or OC in places that serve alcohol in NC. Just about every restaurant, including Pizza Inn serves beer and wine. I've never seen someone order it there, but it is listed on the menu in small print.

I'm moving to either AL, TN, or MO pretty soon and I'd argue that all of those states have less strict carry laws than NC. There was a bill that would have made CC legal in alcohol serving places, but it didn't get looked at during the last session.

2. Remove Ads

Come to KY man. Gun laws here are awesome!
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Something similar has happened to me, I work where we have to carry, and things can get tense. One day we where having a safety meeting in our conference room and we heard a LOUD boom. Like someone shot a 12 GA in the next room. All of us drew and started to look around. It was a transformer blowing just outside the building. Just thought it would make you laugh.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

VIP Member
    Seriously, this is a thread about a balloon popping?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Seriously, this is a thread about a balloon popping?
    It frightened me at the time, lol
    atctimmy likes this.

You should try working in schools. Things go pop, or boom, at random times. Knowing what I know, and what has been prevented, I get nervous until I determine the cause of the noise.

I think people would be surprised at hwo many school districts, large or small, stop a viable threat through general awareness before anything bad happens every year. I hear of 3-4 stories of kids being intervened with from the region every year. You just don't know when your turn to do something will come up as a public servant. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

I know of two serious events where loaded firearms, or knives (not pocket knives), were brought into the schools in my district that were meant to be used to cause harm. That doesn't even take into account the events that were resolved beforehand. One that required me to be prepared to help stop a former student. The student was apprehended just outside of school property by the police. Schools are weapon free zones here. I was very concerned for the safety of not only myself, but for everyone else in the building as well.

Every time we get spooked, and it ends up being non-serious, we should all be happy.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    If you move to TN be very vigilant for gun buster signs. If you happen to miss one it can and will be serious trouble for you if you get made.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Me and my buddy heard a gun shot on the golf course today...the only surprising part was it wasn't me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    You can included FL also in your list. You can not carry in a Bar, but you can carry in restaurants even if they serve alcohol. In other words the serving of alcohol must not the primary thing offered in the business.

Sorry to hear about NC that's very restrictive. You can't go out anywhere, what a pain. You are walking about and suddenly your friends want to stop for lunch, what do you do? go back to your car and leave it there?

C'mon to Alabama. You can carry in any restaurant you want, you just can't consume alcohol while carrying. And we have very few "signs" about guns which don't hold weight of law anyways. Oh, and we have the last two NCAA Football National Champs and the last two Heisman trophies. About to be #3 this year, ROLL TIDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    You can included FL also in your list. You can not carry in a Bar, but you can carry in restaurants even if they serve alcohol. In other words the serving of alcohol must not the primary thing offered in the business.

Sorry to hear about NC that's very restrictive. You can't go out anywhere, what a pain. You are walking about and suddenly your friends want to stop for lunch, what do you do? go back to your car and leave it there?
    If I'm only going out to dinner and going no where else before or after, I just leave it at home. It seems like fast food and BBQ places here only are alcohol-free. Even Pizza Hut serves beer. If I'm already out and decide to eat somewhere that serves alcohol, I have to lock it up in the car.

The real problem is little local restaurants that don't advertise that they sell alcohol. I was in a little burger place before and as soon as I entered I didn't see any beer taps or alcohol posters, etc. When I got the menu, I noticed in little print at the bottom "ask about our beer selection". I excused myself and went to the car to lock it up. It's a real PITA.

I'm getting ready to apply to graduate schools in MO, AL, and TN. As of now, Bama is on the top of my list because it's a bit closer than Missouri. I really like their non-restrictive gun laws too (although MO and TN are just as good).

I think most handguns are stolen out of cars. So, technically, not allowing people to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol aids in providing criminals with firearms. What a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I think most handguns are stolen out of cars. So, technically, not allowing people to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol aids in providing criminals with firearms. What a shame...
    Actually, most handguns are stolen out of homes.

Distinguished Member
    psst...

BOO!

"I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Links