Walking Dog

Walking Dog

This is a discussion on Walking Dog within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend I had to walk pebbles ( 4 pound shitzu / pom mix ) off her regular scheduled time . I usally walk her ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kelcarry

Thread: Walking Dog

Walking Dog

This weekend I had to walk pebbles ( 4 pound shitzu / pom mix ) off her regular scheduled time .

I usally walk her in day light hours saturday it was way past dark around 10:00 pm .

Even in day light I am carrying ( not great aera of town).

We were walking on leash as I see anonther couple waking dog on leash when we got

about 20 feet from them there dog went nuts looking like a pit bull

I snatched pebbles up problem being now shes in my arms right side .

Well you might know my .380 is in pocket right side . No way to get to it fast .

They got there dog under control but was a close call for sure .

I have been beating myself up on that .

Anyone else do stupid stuff like that

Oh and the couple kept walking and did not say a word I didnt either not wanting roud two

Dogs growling at each other usually isn't a big deal. Just keep the leashes short enough so they can't make physical contact and all will be well.

When my dogs get out of hand (they hate certain breeds and the little one hates little dogs) I make mine sit quietly. When they are calm, we move on. If another dog looks like it won't be controlled, I move my dogs out of the way. Granted, we have lawns and driveways for me to move onto should that be necessary around here.

The biggest thing you did wrong which requires more practice on your part is how you carried your dog. Practice grabbing items and holding them with your left hand so that you can still use your gun in an emergency. Once you do that enough, then you will do it reflexively. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    This weekend I had to walk pebbles ( 4 pound shitzu / pom mix ) off her regular scheduled time .

I usally walk her in day light hours saturday it was way past dark around 10:00 pm .

Even in day light I am carrying ( not great aera of town).

We were walking on leash as I see anonther couple waking dog on leash when we got

about 20 feet from them there dog went nuts looking like a pit bull

I snatched pebbles up problem being now shes in my arms right side .

Well you might know my .380 is in pocket right side . No way to get to it fast .

They got there dog under control but was a close call for sure .

I have been beating myself up on that .

Anyone else do stupid stuff like that

Oh and the couple kept walking and did not say a word I didnt either not wanting roud two
    We all do stupid things, but thats how we learn. You wont make that mistake again. Im glad everything worked out ok for you and pebbles.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    What exactly were you going to do with the 380 if a crazy dog goes bonkers on your dog and you find yourself in the middle of a fur fight? Do you think you would hit the crazy dog, or your dog, or the other people? Other threads/forums have addressed protecting your dog and many answers. IMO, a serrated knife is a more effective weapon when close in fur fighting is going on and real danger to you or your dog is possible; certain pepper sprays (ie bear spray) will also be effective and "clear the air".
    Guantes and TVJ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    What exactly were you going to do with the 380 if a crazy dog goes bonkers on your dog and you find yourself in the middle of a fur fight? Do you think you would hit the crazy dog, or your dog, or the other people? Other threads/forums have addressed protecting your dog and many answers. IMO, a serrated knife is a more effective weapon when close in fur fighting is going on and real danger to you or your dog is possible; certain pepper sprays (ie bear spray) will also be effective and "clear the air".
    EDC serrated knife right rear pocket

As long as their dog was leashed and they had control I don't see a problem,some dogs get aggressive around other dogs,not just pitbull looking dogs.I can't pick my dog up,but I can damn sure put an attacking dog down
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It doesn't sound like there was really any problem. Their dog became aggressive but was under control.

I walk my two dogs every day. A giant female red doberman tipping the scales well over 100 pounds and an old geriatric rottweiler (who knows what else his parents were) mutt. If we are ever attacked while walking my plan has always been to first drop my dogs' leashes. I don't want to hinder their abilities to get away or deal with the attacking dog be it little or big. I also don't want the main dog fight right at my heels. I keep my dogs on short leashes so the last thing I want is this dog fight right on top of me. I would be prepared to kick at the other dog if necessary but never try to reach in with my hands to break up the scuffle. If the attack progressed to a point where my dogs or I are in real danger from the attacking dog, I am prepared to shoot it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Get yourself a container of Sabre Red Pepper spray. It's easy to keep in your hand & can go a long way toward dissuading a dog intent on attacking.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Sponsored Links