Local Blockbuster Robbed at Gunpoint

This is a discussion on Local Blockbuster Robbed at Gunpoint within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Link to article: Oconee video store robbed || OnlineAthens.com No one got hurt, and the thief got away. The reason this stands out to me ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Inspector71

Thread: Local Blockbuster Robbed at Gunpoint

Local Blockbuster Robbed at Gunpoint

Link to article:
    Oconee video store robbed || OnlineAthens.com

No one got hurt, and the thief got away.

The reason this stands out to me is... I almost went to get my haircut in that shopping center the morning of this incident. My girlfriend probably would have tagged along, and usually swings into blockbuster to browse around while she is waiting. She could have easily been a potential victim - held at gunpoint - in this whole scenario. I'm glad that I ended up, NOT going and getting my hair cut that morning.

Also, I had to take a step back and think about what I would have done if I was in the store when something like that happened. Would I shoot? Hide and call 911? Hard to know these things without actually being there. Who knows if a BG is going to pull the trigger...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Witness & report.

Sounds like Gollum had been casing the joint & knew their procedures. Bad business plan...for the BlockBuster store, anyway.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

It doesn't appear that the thief ever entered the store. He just knew what time they made their deposit and intercepted the employee outside the store, then ran to his getaway car. That's a situation that's going to happen so quickly, about all you can do is witness it. If the scenario changes in any way, then your response could change along with it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Depending on situation,if I'm in my vehicle,I may try to tail suspect while calling 911 to report the armed robbery staying back just far enough to keep vehicle in sight,if he thinks he is being followed and is driving at a high rate of speed I'm gonna back off,just like being responsible for every bullet I fire,I'm not a Cop and if the Criminal crashes and kills somebody,their lawyer will be deposing me in a civil case asking why I forced the guy to drive the way he did and killed his clients loved one's.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I didn't realize that Blockbuster's was still around.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    I didn't realize that Blockbuster's was still around.
    Seriously.

He couldn't have made off with more than a few hundred dollars.

From the description, sounds like one of the local "meth heads"....

If I were in the store when it happened: "Take cover, Prepare to defend myself, Observe, Call 911."

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I have a HCP to protect myself and someone near and dear to me. I do not carry to protect Blockbuster, yogurt stores or the local bank even. I'm not a LEO and do not play one on the internet. To each his own, but I'm beginning to become seriously concerned that one day we will be posting about a CC'er who ended up getting killed over a couple hundred bucks of someone else's money or some other silly reason that didn't even directly involve him in the first place. My HCP does not make me feel like some guardian angel responsible for every bad thing that happens around me.
    Gene83 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Blockbuster is still in business? All of them in my area have long shut down.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I have a HCP to protect myself and someone near and dear to me. I do not carry to protect Blockbuster, yogurt stores or the local bank even. I'm not a LEO and do not play one on the internet. To each his own, but I'm beginning to become seriously concerned that one day we will be posting about a CC'er who ended up getting killed over a couple hundred bucks of someone else's money or some other silly reason that didn't even directly involve him in the first place. My HCP does not make me feel like some guardian angel responsible for every bad thing that happens around me.
    That's pretty much my thinking. However, I say that with the realization that what I say I'll do and what I actually end up doing may be totally different if and when the situation ever arises. I like to play scenarios in my mind and I enjoy reading about scenarios and other people's ideas. I once had a boss who said "Almost any plan, no matter how poorly executed, is usually better than having no plan at all". So, I read scenarios, train, plan, and hope for the best.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Links