Crazed gunman or hungry double packer?

This is a discussion on Crazed gunman or hungry double packer? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Scenario: You are sitting in your favorite fast food joint, enjoying your meal. You are armed and with your child/spouse/immediate family member, who is unarmed. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Crazed gunman or hungry double packer?

VIP Member

Crazed gunman or hungry double packer?

Scenario:

You are sitting in your favorite fast food joint, enjoying your meal. You are armed and with your child/spouse/immediate family member, who is unarmed. Your state allows for both open carry and concealed carry.

You look out the window, and you see a normal looking man step out of a car, wearing jeans and a shirt with pockets. He's also wearing two holsters, one with a 1911, and the other empty. He's placing loaded magazines into his shirt pockets. You then see him grab another 1911. As he is walking toward the door to the restaurant, you see him insert the magazine and rack the slide. Then's he out of sight, as there is a large section of wall between the window and the door that blocks your view.

You know he's coming into the restaurant, and when he walks in he will have clear line of sight in your direction.

What do you do?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I hit my wife with our code word for danger and then I draw as inconspicuously as I can. I continuously tell her what is happening while acting calmly. I keep my gun hidden. As he is coming in the door I tell her to act like she dropped a napkin and get down (or anything to find cover). I find as much cover as I can without looking like it.

If the BG comes in aggressively with his gun out I drill him multiple times. If I don't see a gun I keep close tabs on him while the wife and I exit asap.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Not much. He has holsters for his weapons. Chances are he is LE, or a licensed CC individual. The holsters are a dead giveaway. Most BGs don't bother with them. That's a well documented item to note.

You spotted the guns, so you just watch him just in case. At that point he has most likely not made you as a carrier so you still have the advantage of surprise should anything bad happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Not much. He has holsters for his weapons. Chances are he is LE, or a licensed CC individual. The holsters are a dead giveaway. Most BGs don't bother with them. That's a well documented item to note.

You spotted the guns, so you just watch him just in case. At that point he has most likely not made you as a carrier so you still have the advantage of surprise should anything bad happen.
    Normal people aren't walking across a parking lot charging a pistol. This is not normal.
    Tzadik and RevolvingMag like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

I think some of the people around this site would call that packing light

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Normal people aren't walking across a parking lot charging a pistol. This is not normal.
    Or it could just be a moron that doesn't have his head in the right place.
    dcselby1 likes this.

VIP Member
    Or it could just be a moron that doesn't have his head in the right place.
    It all depends on the read you'd get at the time.

That's why these scenarios are tough. I read it and imagine one thing (a BG) and you read it and picture it a little different. In real life we would just have to go with our gut and live with the result.
    tubadude and RugerMike like this.
    Mark Twain:

Distinguished Member
    Covert draw well founded.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post

Chances I'm not willing to take being in his first line of sight. Behind on getting the gun in the fight means having to move quickly that attracts more attention. No, not already drawn, one is a lead magnet if it is a "postal" situation.
    If not, a covert re-holster, and no harm done.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I would discreetly draw my pistol from my pocket and keep it at the ready under the table. If he is robbing the restaurant and presents a good target of himself...

bang bang bang
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I would really be paying attention to him, but unless he still has the gun in his hand when I see him again I really don't know what other to do then look for him.

On a side note I have seen (minus the two guns) a LEO at my home town do this.....
    Never found out why but my guess is he doesn't carry +1 in the car.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Criminals don't use holsters because they usually ditch the gun immediately following the crime.

Wackos, vindictive ex-boyfriends or ex-husbands, angry unstable folks... having a holster doesn't mean squat.

If he's stupid enough to draw/rack in full public view like that then he should be considered dangerous if for no other reason than carelessness.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I don't play "scenario" here very often, but someone walking into a McDonalds racking the slide on his second 1911 doesn't strike me as a "normal looking man".

I doubt any member here would behave that way, so I say go red alert.

Or just eat at home.
    atctimmy and RoadKill like this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    The "stuffing extra mags in pockets" strikes me as odd also (unless it's Grady ) and would set my radar off--I would do what atctimmy said..........
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I'm not saying the guy is being smart. He's being lazy and/or reckless. He's not necessarilly a threat.

This scenario requires one thing to make it useful. You have to be there to get a read on the person. Seeing as we can't do that, it's not much of a scenario. A lot of reacting requires us to asses and then respond.

While I would prepare just in case, I'm not going to get all scared either. I guess it comes from living in Wisconsin, and having seen people do reckless things with firearms far too many times. They weren't criminals, just people I wouldn't let walk behind me for safety concerns. I'm not seeing red flags popping up all over the place in this scenario. What pops up to me is laziness on the part of the guy walking in.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I agree with ICT on "playing the scenario game". I do not know where you people live and what kind of lives you have and how you come up with these "scenarios" but "geeze louise". I guess it is always food for thought and there are enough replies that forum members took the time to read this and respond, but really? I apologize if my comments are interpreted as some kind of personal attack--they are not meant that way and I apologize if they are taken that way. Just find the scenario to be way down the line of probability and below lightning hits and shark attacks.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I hit my wife with our code word for danger and then I draw as inconspicuously as I can. I continuously tell her what is happening while acting calmly. I keep my gun hidden. As he is coming in the door I tell her to act like she dropped a napkin and get down (or anything to find cover). I find as much cover as I can without looking like it.

If the BG comes in aggressively with his gun out I drill him multiple times. If I don't see a gun I keep close tabs on him while the wife and I exit asap.
    I'm with "atctimmy" 100%. Anyone with me I would have them get under the table, I would draw and be holding "ready" just out of sight.
    First sign of trouble, I dot his eye.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links