Defensive Carry banner

Is this only a Florida thing

2K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  Dennis1209 
#1 ·
As some a board know I am a life long Florida Boy .

I am just asking are we down here just getting a bad name with all the trash latley ??

Dougherty Gang

We had a waitress shot at a drive in Atm this week she will be Ok .

But it seemes more often where seeing more and more violence with firearms .

There has allways been trash in this state but in my now 50 years here its much worse daily .

Stay safe and armed :wave:

#2 ·
There's bad everywhere and it's increasing everywhere. And I do not believe we are even close to as bad as it going to are could get. I really hate saying that and I want to believe there is good in everyone but I know better than to believe it. We could name 100 things that cause the problems and still not even scratch the surface so I'll just blame (insert your own tag here)______________________.

#3 ·
its a everywhere thing...and the news is down playing it

we are in the midst of a ....something kind of social break down where the police concentrate on arresting this who outwardly have the where withall to pay into the system--hire lawyers, while
not spending much energy arresting, or even trying to catch those who terrorize the streets with drive-bys and open acts of violence; they cost the system money. the social services that cater to the inner city criminals is overwhelmed. in years gone past it was a cash cow that those in power created a justice system that feed on the misery of the poor--more agencies to help those who were deemed needy by those who had the power--and political backing to foist upon the taxpayer social engineering

we are now at a crises where the money is not flowing any longer. do we pay pensions or do we fund services? best is to enforce laws and collect fines from those who can afford it.
and let the animals run free--so long as they only beat each other to a pulp. only when they venture into the suburbs is the news forced to report an 'event' about that which 'doesn't happen in this quite area'

ramble off

#6 ·
FLA may way be ahead of the curve, or it's just that you aren't seeing reports from other places, violent criminals seem to be everywhere these days and things aren't going to be getting any better because of the lack of opportunities for the uneducated youngsters to make an honest living.

I could get into a huge political rant but I bet y'all know where I would take it.
The best thing people like us can do is train, train and train some more in order to be prepared for the worst, while I hope the worst will never happen the training will pay off it it ever does.

#7 ·
-
They're putting something in the oranges down there... :mischievous:

I'm sure it doesn't help that it's a entrance to the country & a tourist draw. More people, more problems.

#9 ·
Criminals like nice weather too. :smile:

Florida is also the land of opportunity and criminals like opportunity. People go to Florida to retire (old, vulnerable people who can be conned). People also vacation in Florida and it's not all family vacations in Disney theme parks. They let their hair down and do naughty things that they would rather the folks back in Peoria not hear about, so they are good marks for the criminal element also. And then you have the wealthy in and around Palm Beach. Even the white collar Bernie Madoff type criminal will follow the money. While crime is also happening in other parts of the country, Florida has a lot going for it, if you're a criminal.

#12 ·
heat - economy - too many mental institutions have been closed - and too many idiots who are lazy and feel entitled.

It's "everywhere" , although OHIO has seemed to be having more than it's fair share lately.

#13 ·
It's not only Florida, it's everywhere. I fear we have only seen the tip of the iceberg. As our economy declines, crime will increase. The worse the economy becomes, the worse the crime and violence will become. If the economy should collapse (God forbid) we will be in a state of total anarchy. It will truly be dog-eat-dog. The law enforcement community will not be able to handle it, and I seriously doubt that the military would be able to combat the wave of crime and violence we would be facing.The armed citizenry will be it's own and only means of protection. Scary, and IMO not that far off. Hope I'm wrong...

#14 ·
There are dirtbags all over FL, just like all over the country.
Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

#15 ·
Actually based on the information available that I have looked at, crime has continued on a downward trend over the past 2 decades.

Of course I say this as I look at the 2010 ratings that show our metro area being in the top 10 highest crime areas for the country. :rolleyes:

You folks in Florida are going to have to get a grip on your retired population and get them back to work or something so they will stop committing all the crimes down there. The economy must be heck on the folks with a fixed income. :rofl:

#16 ·
Heck it's not the blue hairs committing the crime, their the bait. Florida is the number one destination of easy targets, I mean retired people.

It's like having a automatic feeder during deer season except the retirees are the corn.

#18 ·
It is a problem every where now a days. Minneapolis MN is getting bad, I think the number is in the 30's now for the murders in JUST minneapolis. Sierra Vista where I am visiting now is getting bad, my father in law said in the last week there has been 3 shootings. I think it is just the way crime is headed, more violent. Stay armed, in fact carry all the time. I have a gun on my hip from waking up till going to sleep.

Matthew

#19 ·
Here's my take on this: I think violent crime and criminals are an ever increasing problem everywhere but, there are places in the USA where they seem to be increasing faster than others. Florida is one of these places because, in my opinion, of all the transplants from the North East that have moved down there. In parts of the South, Florida is known as South New York City. Many of the transplants who have moved down there were liberal or very liberal, and as a result, their poor parenting practices and other generally cruddy social habits have contributed to the downhill slide of the "youtes" who now are coming of age in Florida.

The same thing can been seen, albeit without the transplant aspect of it, in Memphis Tennessee and other large metropolitan cities.

#21 ·
Standby, I'm trying to think of a place where it's actually gotten better. . .

Nope, can't think of one.

#22 ·
I work in and around the jail and legal system in Minneapolis and I can see the definite differences in the class/crimes being committed. Your typical "hood rat" is in for a violent crime and the seemingly well dressed, and if possible in jail "classier" individuals are in for petty crimes IE drunk/disorderly, or a scuffle. Minneapolis has something like 100+ gangs, small, big, and nation wide that all are competing for turf and it usually winds up in the morgue. That is my take on it

Matthew

#24 ·
Alright, I'll bite. I've been in FL since '92, and it was quite an adjustment. There's not many "natives", everyone is from somewhere, and it's not the same place as your neighbor is from. I find the people don't have any real attachment to their habitat, or really any sense of community or brotherhood. It's a free-for-all, get-what-you-can out of it, legal or otherwise. It is definitely the land of the con/rip-off/fly-by-night/scam. It's still a pretty nice place in terms of employment opportunities, housing prices, weather, activities, and the water/beaches, but I've learned the hard way to trust no one. I spend my summers in western NC, and I really enjoy it. People here are genuine, very friendly (even to Floridians), and caring. It's so different. When I bought my house here, there weren't even locks on the windows. If I walked next door, I'll bet my neighbor's house isn't even locked. The deal is people respect each other here, whereas in FL, someone would steal a stool out of the pot if they thought you weren't looking and they could sell it. My neighbor in Tampa installed a re-bar cage over his new A/C unit to make sure it stays. I just have a motion detector hooked up to battery and and a door bell buzzer so I can catch you in my back yard and practice bump shooting my Mossberg 12 gauge. I'm on my way back to FL this weekend, my SA will shoot through the roof, I'll avoid all the usual nightlife, and every unknown person walking my street will be scrutinized. That's just the way it is.

#26 ·
Alright, I'll bite. I've been in FL since '92, and it was quite an adjustment. There's not many "natives", everyone is from somewhere, and it's not the same place as your neighbor is from. I find the people don't have any real attachment to their habitat, or really any sense of community or brotherhood. It's a free-for-all, get-what-you-can out of it, legal or otherwise. It is definitely the land of the con/rip-off/fly-by-night/scam. It's still a pretty nice place in terms of employment opportunities, housing prices, weather, activities, and the water/beaches, but I've learned the hard way to trust no one. I spend my summers in western NC, and I really enjoy it. People here are genuine, very friendly (even to Floridians), and caring. It's so different. When I bought my house here, there weren't even locks on the windows. If I walked next door, I'll bet my neighbor's house isn't even locked. The deal is people respect each other here, whereas in FL, someone would steal a stool out of the pot if they thought you weren't looking and they could sell it. My neighbor in Tampa installed a re-bar cage over his new A/C unit to make sure it stays. I just have a motion detector hooked up to battery and and a door bell buzzer so I can catch you in my back yard and practice bump shooting my Mossberg 12 gauge. I'm on my way back to FL this weekend, my SA will shoot through the roof, I'll avoid all the usual nightlife, and every unknown person walking my street will be scrutinized. That's just the way it is.
+1 to the people of Western NC. I spend a lot of time driving the backroads there alone at night for my work, and not the first problem of any kind with the locals. I did stop at a little general type store just before closing one night to pick up some things to tide me over through the night and there were three locals in there. One behind the counter and two others just passing time. When I walked in conversation stopped and all eyes were on me as I went about the store collecting my things. When I placed them on the counter and pulled out my money the tension in the room eased considerably. No doubt had I tried to rob the place I would have taken fire from three different directions. I have a lot of respect for those mountain folks.
The secret is out. It only gets better the longer I'm here.

#25 ·
+1 to the people of Western NC. I spend a lot of time driving the backroads there alone at night for my work, and not the first problem of any kind with the locals. I did stop at a little general type store just before closing one night to pick up some things to tide me over through the night and there were three locals in there. One behind the counter and two others just passing time. When I walked in conversation stopped and all eyes were on me as I went about the store collecting my things. When I placed them on the counter and pulled out my money the tension in the room eased considerably. No doubt had I tried to rob the place I would have taken fire from three different directions. I have a lot of respect for those mountain folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.