Flash Mobs

This is a discussion on Flash Mobs within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And Again Bark`n is Correct!. We all just need to pay attention to our surroundings,escape if we can and as a last resort attack and ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Flash Mobs

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    And Again Bark`n is Correct!. We all just need to pay attention to our surroundings,escape if we can and as a last resort attack and fight for our lives. 8plus1 made a statement that opened my eyes as to what do you do when you run out of ammo?. I haven`t carried a defensive knife since I was a kid but I bought one today,you never know when it`s time to get Stabby!. Nobody wants to shoot or hurt anyone,Last thing I ever want to do but I will allow no harm to come to me and mine Period. Sorry if your Parents didn`t teach you better but this is Real Life Now and I`m NOT going down. The Sheep still think everybody`s going to Love one another,sit and sing "Kumbaya" but in real life that ain`t gonna happen. Always Carry,Never Tell.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Anglo: Maybe a nice cannister of bear spray would be a better counter to a group of cretins. Can't hurt having a cannister along with the knife. Personally, no one is going to get over on me without my pound of hurt put on them if I am in danger. I will run and stay away and do whatever to get away but when all options are gone, I do not intend to be hurt or killed without at least someone else going along for the ride.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Hey Kelcarry, I do carry a Kimber Gel Weapon along with some other stuff. BUT gel or spray only goes so far if you`re confronted by a mob. I`m not into leaving here alone either. Do want company. Thanks!.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    my answer is based on the following

--wife is with me
    --violence has occurred in my vicinity; bats, knives with or without gunfire
    --there is no avenue of escape for wife & I
    --i have my 642; reasonable for deep concealed to a sporting event or a fair

I likely will grab a skinny long haired active participant and as i am closing my grip on his hair i am going to fire one round into another participant's belly
    next to him and than hold his head back and stuff the gun in his mouth. i am fairly certain, in fact--i am betting our lives on the fact that he is going to convince his
    'friends' to give us safe passage to the edge of the mob activities.

of course this is just a mental exercise cause things like this do not happen in America.
    Actually most people involved in a flash mob don't know each other. They could give a shot if you shoot another member of the mob. The time and place are posted on sites such as Facebook and blogs and anyone interested in stealing etc joins as they feel there is strength in numbers. If they all were buddies they would plan it behind closed doors, not with an anonymous online posting. My point, don't feel that taking a hostage will sway the others, a member of the group would just shoot through their "buddy" to get to you without blinking an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Actually most people involved in a flash mob don't know each other. They could give a shot if you shoot another member of the mob. The time and place are posted on sites such as Facebook and blogs and anyone interested in stealing etc joins as they feel there is strength in numbers. If they all were buddies they would plan it behind closed doors, not with an anonymous online posting. My point, don't feel that taking a hostage will sway the others, a member of the group would just shoot through their "buddy" to get to you without blinking an eye.
    I agree with that. Most often, members of the mob will have little personal relationship with the one standing next to them. However, once you start shooting those who advance on you, I find that human nature dictates no one really wants to be the next one who volunteers to get shot.

Mobs are most likely comprised of cowardly people. Once one, two or three of them start to drop, knowing you mean business, you find very few volunteers lining up to go next.

However, you shouldn't afford them the luxury to reassess the situation and give them time to regroup. Once you've downed a couple of them, you best be making moves to get the hell out of there.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Several points I would like to bring up:

Getting in your car and using it for protection is not worth much in a parking lot when it takes half an hour
    to move 150 yards to the exit. A car is a weapon if you are moving, it is a target if you are surrounded
    on all sides by other non-moving vehicles.

Even in a flash mob situation, it is very likely that within the mob may be groups of friends, kin, or gangs
    who stick together for the thrill, as well as for their OWN protection in the situation.
    You came with a few friends, right? Why not the thugs in the mob?

While Wisconsin has just enacted A CCW law, future attendees of the State fair, or the many festivals at the lakefront
    will be prohibited from attending while armed, and they will probably start using metal detectors and searches to enforce it.
    That means leaving your gun in your car (unattended for a few hours) or leaving it at home.

Summerfest and the State fair used to NOT be "stupid places".... but things have changed.

Any situation with large numbers of people you don't know can rapidly become a mob situation.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Shoot the leader/closest guy to you, watch the followers scatter like roaches.

Can't speak to 'what if's', each situation is different and fluid. I believe situational awareness(SA) is the key. If it looks fishy..get out of the AO. The unfortunate thing is that the "Flash Mob", is just that,something that appears quickly and unexpectedly. I'm seriously thinking of carrying two weapons either both on my person or one easily grabbed(in a backpack etc). The ability to defend oneself and love ones should be thought out thoroughly. Thinking about adding pepper spray to the 'carry package'. Unfortunately, I'm NO longer an infantryman in reality or age..and there is just only so much one can carry on one's body etc. I do think places like malls, box stores, transportation hubs are the places one has to raise their SA to these mobs.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    And just what helps to make all of these well timed & coordinated Flash Mob crimes possible?

Oh...of course...The free taxpayer funded cell phones PLUS 250 free monthly minutes given to low income households.
    Most flash mobs are middle class youth and are in predominately middle class store areas. It is just that the media always interviews the lower class kid to draw sympathy for the mob. Don't worry , we didn't buy their cell phones, their daddies did.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by the old anglo View Post
    and again bark`n is correct!. We all just need to pay attention to our surroundings,escape if we can and as a last resort attack and fight for our lives. 8plus1 made a statement that opened my eyes as to what do you do when you run out of ammo?. I haven`t carried a defensive knife since i was a kid but i bought one today,you never know when it`s time to get stabby!. Nobody wants to shoot or hurt anyone,last thing i ever want to do but i will allow no harm to come to me and mine period. Sorry if your parents didn`t teach you better but this is real life now and i`m not going down. The sheep still think everybody`s going to love one another,sit and sing "kumbaya" but in real life that ain`t gonna happen. Always carry,never tell.
    agreed!!!

Distinguished Member
    My take is that violent FM's are invitations to rival gangs to have it out - more like free-for-alls than friendly cliques in a violent parade. If one is able to exist amongst them it is because they only attack each other not because of mistaken identity as one of their own. Friendship is a first casualty of mob mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The evidence is in! We have all seen first hand video accounts of flash mobs seriously injuring and crippling people on the local news. We know people have been beat down so severely they remain on life support or in a coma today from incidents that happened months ago....

So, if by some twist of fate you find yourself in the midst of such an incident, it does you no good to deny what you are in[:]the middle of a grave and deadly situation, so you better treat it like one! If you have the ability to escape, Do So! But if the mob already have their sights on you and getting closer, you are going to have to deal with it. And in my opinion, it's better to act like a lion than it is to try and act like a gazelle.
    Right, Barkin'. There are too many variables in a FM situation as in any SD situation to have an immediate fail-safe response. The Avoid-Evade-Counter plan works for me: move out of the area fast before trouble comes, be as covert as possible if in its midst, have a solid cover for back, if possible while covert drawing; and never use lethal force but against a specific target to stop a threat of grave bodily injury or death to own person or intimate.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstones Commentaries 145146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links