Crazy Man in the Middle of the Street

This is a discussion on Crazy Man in the Middle of the Street within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I stopped by my favorite local establishment for some quick refreshment. While I was sharing in some friendly conversation we noticed a guy outside ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Man in the Middle of the Street

Yesterday I stopped by my favorite local establishment for some quick refreshment. While I was sharing in some friendly conversation we noticed a guy outside walking up and down the street trying to kick and punch cars that were stopped for the traffic light. When the light changed he continued to kick and punch cars that were coming at him from both directions. He then started grabbing on to the door handles trying to gain access to the vehicles. After 4-5 minutes of this, the city and county LEO's show up. As they approached he started to walk away. Eventually they were able to get control of him and cuff and stuff. Bizzare to say the very least.

Leads me to believe that more people should have read the thread about locking the doors when you get in to your car. Even though it was slightly entertaining, it was very disturbing considering the consequences that could have occurred. Thankfully no people were hurt, although there were some pretty big dents in some of the cars he connected with.

Yes doors locked, windows up, cushion of space,ready to hit the gas, and take evasive action are all good things when in traffic. Also good is the concealed pistol in case these others fail.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

in florida his attempting to enter my car could cause me to shoot him, in FLA invasion of a car is no different from a home invasion and use of deadly force is permitted to end the threat, see castle doctrine

This happened to my mom at a stoplight here in Miami and coming home from the night shift. Some random guy walked up to her side and tried to open to open the door forcefully. She told me it was a 6 foot guy, and my moms car was a small 80s corolla. Guy ripped off the door handle, but it turned green, and my mom was able to speed away. the car didnt have automatic door locks, and she remembered not too long before that to lock all doors.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Quote Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
    This happened to my mom at a stoplight here in Miami and coming home from the night shift. Some random guy walked up to her side and tried to open to open the door forcefully. She told me it was a 6 foot guy, and my moms car was a small 80s corolla. Guy ripped off the door handle, but it turned green, and my mom was able to speed away. the car didnt have automatic door locks, and she remembered not too long before that to lock all doors.
    Good for her! I hear so many people whine about their doors locking automagically it just infuriates me to see them not realize how nice of a feature that can be. I'm thankfull to have automatic locks on mine, locks when I shift to drive or reverse and unlocks when I turn the ignition off and yes I do have a handy switch if I want to unlock or lock the doors myself.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

If this had happened in Ohio, I'd guess he was just a Group Home resident who was off his meds. Ohio has closed many of its Resident Mental Health facilities and replaced them with Group Homes in regular neighborhoods.

What's scary is that he could have just as easily come into the shop with the OP.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Seeing that happening around me & then having him come to my car would lead me to give him some pepper spray for his troubles...as long as I wasn't able to simply drive off, that is.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    in florida his attempting to enter my car could cause me to shoot him, in FLA invasion of a car is no different from a home invasion and use of deadly force is permitted to end the threat, see castle doctrine
    Glad no one was hurt .

That could that would not fair well here

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Glad no one was hurt .

what would not fare well? shooting the BG or the BG whom attempted to enter your car?

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Good for her! I hear so many people whine about their doors locking automagically it just infuriates me to see them not realize how nice of a feature that can be. I'm thankfull to have automatic locks on mine, locks when I shift to drive or reverse and unlocks when I turn the ignition off and yes I do have a handy switch if I want to unlock or lock the doors myself.
    automatic locks are a plus, my mom bought a new car after that
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Glad no one was hurt .

What?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Glad no one was hurt .

If stuck in traffic and not able to drive off...you are correct it would NOT go well for the dirtbag trying to enter the dar.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I guess my safety regimen is not so good when it comes to this topic. I've always hated automatic door locks. That is, the kind that lock every time you put the car into drive, etc. I feel like the car is making decisions for me and I don't like it. However, both of our new cars have this feature. I know it can be disabled with a scan-tool, but I have finally gotten used to it. The thing I really don't like about it is that the car will not open from the inside either. If they designed the door so that the inside door release would always open the door even if it is locked, I'd have less of a problem. The reason this bothers me is that the car also unlocks itself when turning it off. Which means I am pretty much not ever forced to use the lock/unlock button myself. So lets say I'm stopping to pick up my wife at the front of a store or something. When I pull up, my doors are locked and I have to search around for the button. Even though it is my own car, I still have to look for the button and it can take several seconds to identify it. No problem, except what if it were an emergency and I needed to get myself and my child out of the car very quickly. I'm not going to be thinking as clearly and won't be able to get out of the car. That's why I'd rather be in charge of locking the doors myself.

As to the windows up. Well, I like to keep mine down anytime the temperature is between 60 and 85 degrees outside. There is just some part of me that cannot justify running the air conditioner to keep me cool when the air outside is plenty comfortable. Although I'll admit that if I'm driving through a sketchy part of town, I've been known to roll it up. Also if I see some person walking around, even if it is a panhandler or a charity or something.

On the other hand, I've been more or less open-carrying my gun on my hip as I drive. I've been trying to train myself to do this for several months now. The training part is that I have to remember to check that it is concealed again before I get out of the car, otherwise I could walk around in public in violation of the law. I've had people check and see if they can see my firearm while I'm sitting in the car with the seatbelt on. It seems it is nearly impossible to tell, and only if a person were in a tall vehicle, during the daytime, at just the right angle, and were actively looking for it would they actually be able to tell. So at least if some crazy person did come up to my car, I'd have easy access. The seatbelt doesn't really seem to hinder my ability to draw. The main thing that hinders it is the shirt/seatbelt combination. So as long as the shirt is not over my gun, I can draw it quickly.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I guess my safety regimen is not so good when it comes to this topic. I've always hated automatic door locks. That is, the kind that lock every time you put the car into drive, etc. I feel like the car is making decisions for me and I don't like it. However, both of our new cars have this feature. I know it can be disabled with a scan-tool, but I have finally gotten used to it. The thing I really don't like about it is that the car will not open from the inside either. If they designed the door so that the inside door release would always open the door even if it is locked, I'd have less of a problem. The reason this bothers me is that the car also unlocks itself when turning it off. Which means I am pretty much not ever forced to use the lock/unlock button myself. So lets say I'm stopping to pick up my wife at the front of a store or something. When I pull up, my doors are locked and I have to search around for the button. Even though it is my own car, I still have to look for the button and it can take several seconds to identify it. No problem, except what if it were an emergency and I needed to get myself and my child out of the car very quickly. I'm not going to be thinking as clearly and won't be able to get out of the car. That's why I'd rather be in charge of locking the doors myself.
    There is an easy fix to this.. just get used to hitting the button whether the car will do it for you or not.

My car automatically locks when I put it in gear and does not unlock until I turn off the ignition. I STILL manually hit the "lock" button when I get in (as I might not be ready to put it into gear) and I manually hit the "unlock" button when I'm ready to get out even though, on my car, the driver's door will open even if the rest of the doors will not.

It's just something I do so that I do not get too dependent on my car doing it for me... What if I have to drive a car that doesn't auto lock?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    As I said in another post, my car is older than I am- it doesn't have automatic anything. I hardly ever open the passenger door, so it stays locked. And, my driver door is locked before it's closed.

I need to re-program the locks in my fiancee's car... maybe I can get that done tonight.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links