Purse/Bag Carry

This is a discussion on Purse/Bag Carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all... just wondering what people's thoughts were on purse carry/bag carry. (ok, man purse.... i admit it). I picked up a maxpedition jumbo versipack ...

Thread: Purse/Bag Carry

Purse/Bag Carry

Hey all... just wondering what people's thoughts were on purse carry/bag carry. (ok, man purse.... i admit it). I picked up a maxpedition jumbo versipack awhile back for hiking and travelling and love the thing. even use it for expanded carry in higher threat areas...

here's the question i've been debating with some friends of late... i don't think bag/purse carry is a good idea. i keep extra mags, other gear in it but my gun is always on my person, usually IWB. i just think in the event of a robbery, the BG's focus is going to be on the bag, etc. their goal is going to be to separate the bag (and thus the firearm) from the person.

granted, awareness of one's surroundings should hopefully prevent me from getting in a situation like this but should it happen, i hope by easily giving up my bag will a) get the BG away from myself and my family and b) distract him enough to employ my own weapon.

any other thoughts or opinions on this? thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I reckon BG's are very much interested in purses carried by ladies but not so sure with guys. This why I do not like purse carry tho my wife still does this even now.

For guys I think a fanny pack type deal, while possibly saying ''gun'' is not necessarily too big of a target - and if maybe that is the only carry option in a given circumstance then still it is viable.

Having in effect a ''dummy'' deal with fanny pack or purse could be useful when gun is actually in fact on the person and for sure yes - max situational awareness at all times - which should help prevent surprise grabs.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i need to do more homework on how a "mugging" usually goes down (not that there's a formula) but me going for my wallet on command is very close to me grabbing my XD in IWB at 4:30.... probably aren't going to be given the chance to do it myself. then again, not sure how many bad guys are planning on being met with armed resistance
    though if they've got the drop on me, there's nothing THAT important in my wallet that i wouldn't comply. besides, i think my best tactical advantage is AFTER i've given up my wallet... maybe throw it away and get their focus off of me for a minute.

Links