Not all threats have two legs...

Not all threats have two legs...

This is a discussion on Not all threats have two legs... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a true situation that occurred yesterday, and while it ended well, I thought I'd bring it up as a discussion topic. My wife, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Not all threats have two legs...

Smile Not all threats have two legs...

This is a true situation that occurred yesterday, and while it ended well, I thought I'd bring it up as a discussion topic. My wife, 8 y/o granddaughter and I were out for a walk at a local state recreation area. This particular area is a blackwater swamp and the trail is actually an elevated boardwalk that is between 4" and 2 feet above ground/water level. The boardwalk dead ends about 1/4 mile from the parking lot and the terrain is pretty well impassable into the brush/swamp at the end of the boardwalk. As we approached the end, a movement caught my eye and I found myself looking at this peaceful fellow laying under the boardwalk. He looked at us, we looked at him, took a few pictures and retreated softly back the way we came. Great outcome, and especially since he looked to be a robust 7-8 feet in length. I was armed with my .40 M&Pc, loaded with 11 rounds of 165 gr. Winchester PDX. He's my "what-if" scenario: We pass by while Al E. Gator snoozes under the decking. Hearing our footfalls (remember, we can't see him and we are with a rambunctious third grader), he pulls out into the sun and climbs up to see who's bothering him. We now find ourselves with our backs to an impenetrable alligator-occupied swamp and our only path out blocked by an inquisitive 8 foot reptile with too many teeth to count. There is no one else visible, it's mid-day, and no cell coverage (all true statements at the time of our encounter). I'd like to get some other's ideas; I'll save a zombie apocalypse story for another day

2011-08-16_13-28-46_976.jpg
    Dennis1209 likes this.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

VIP Member
    Since Al isn't a threat at this time, sit back and wait it out. Sooner or later he'll either decide to leave, or someone else will come along that you can send for help. If he decided to be a threat to your safety, then it's time to turn him into luggage. If possible I'd go for a shot down his throat when he opens his mouth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    From my gator experiences, you're giving it far too much credit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

As long as we're just looking at each other, all's well. I think if he was coming in my direction, on my foot path, and only way out, I'd have to resort to some sort of self-protection.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

They can be faster than you think, and they can easily climb a 4' fence...give him lots of space.
    If he starts showing off his choppers and becomes aggressive, I agree with archer51......down the throat.
    bwalker25 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm an arm chair expert on the subject matter! I have watched every episode of "Swamp People". I moved to northern Tennessee. When them crocagators get this far North, I'll move to Alaska if need be

Seriously, them bad boys can be aggressive but usually no where near the attitude of a salt water crocodile. Best shot placement is 2" centered directly behind the eyes if necessary. I'll bet most the members of this forum who live in Florida, southern Ga, La., and Ms. have some alligator stories to share.
    Tzadik likes this.

I don't know anything about the applicable game laws involved, and I abide by the wildlife laws.....but, I generally like killing varmints with my firearms.

wow, very nice belt material.
    bwalker25 likes this.

I had this same question some time ago as I normally fish in gator waters. I have met a fellow fisherman at this location who told me that a gator chased him from the shore to steal his fish catch about ten years ago.

Alligators

VIP Member
    If it's self defense, it's your word against his.

However, SCDNR generally frowns on popping a gator without a tag. However, they'll be happy to send you a complimentary tag if you have a nuisance gator (however, that only applies if it's own your own property). I'm not sure how a state recreation area affects your jurisdiction. Give 'em a call - they're actually a friendly bunch.

Part of my summer adventures includes managing a subdivision with some ponds that occasionally yield a gator.
    bwalker25 likes this.

This all could have been avoided by open carrying a cat.
    Tzadik, bwalker25 and phreddy like this.

Yea not all have two legs - but they are the toughest to deal with - the three legged and four legged ain't so bad usually. As for the gator - Turn and go the other way - if he follows - eat him
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

They like to eat small kids. You can always have another one.

Grab it's tail, and hang on..................... LMAO.

I think you did the smartest thing you could. Smaller kids shouldn't be left alone in areas that these encounters may occur.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I went a head and got a spare early on, so i'm set - but i promise you after what a 72 yr.old ex-marine doctor did to me - not all of us can have another one. He guaranteed it and i have every reason to believe him.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Alrighty, I weigh in on this one........I've been in your 'similar' situation a couple of times. I grew up in south Louisiana and now reside in southern, costal Georgia.....LOTS of Gators. I gone hunting 'em a few times and darn-it if they don't show up while out fishing somewhere, wether in my boat OR walking the bank........they LOVE having a fresh-caught bass for lunch! .....and they don't know nor care about the rules of golf and 'playing through' 'em is only an option 'sometimes' (if there's an 'inhabitated' water-hazzard, I'm GONNA be in or by it ). I come into contact with them almost daily. I can neither confirm nor deniey having a part in 'helping' one find his way next to a rookie's unit one slow, no-call evening a few summers back. (I'm not a cop, but I've known to go fishing with a few of 'em.... ) Their quite tasty and make good belts, boots, and holsters too!

Gators arn't too aggressive, but they have only one enemey, man.......and people don't scare 'em. Those critters have come right up to me and have chased me for my fish. I've watched them chase the neighbors dog (some cute little furry noise maker) in our backyard....guess he was hungry. MOST of the time, however, they don't care too much and will just let'cha on by with no fuss. BUT. just like a firearm, you MUST RESPECT them and their space. They are FAST, STRONGER than you think, and only know three things, FEEDING, resting, and surviving. They are hold-outs from prehistoric times and as such that drives their instincts.

Dispatching an aggressive gator WILL be fround upon by the game wardens/DNR for the most part, BUT, like any self-defense shooting, if you can show and 'verbal'ize' the threat that said gator represented then you'd be good to go me thinks.
    I would'nt hesiate in shooting one that threatened me while I have my grandkids with me and had no other way out. Chances are though, after awhile a gator would become bored with a 'standoff' and just move on.

Again, respect of them and their space is the best defense with 'dem critters......but if need be, solid hits between the eyes will 'probley' end a gators threat.

Great pic by-the-way. Your grand-young'un will remember that day for a lifetime too.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links