If ever in a fight will CWP get revoked? - Page 2

If ever in a fight will CWP get revoked?

This is a discussion on If ever in a fight will CWP get revoked? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't resorted to fisticuffs since middle school. I have yet to see or hear of a punch-up related purely to self-defense. Perhaps someone can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: If ever in a fight will CWP get revoked?

I haven't resorted to fisticuffs since middle school. I have yet to see or hear of a punch-up related purely to self-defense. Perhaps someone can cite such an anecdote.

Yeah, sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do - like be mature enough to deescalate a tense situation and tame his natural "rooster mode."

You know what I mean - that natural reaction when you puff out your chest, raise to your full height, and start talking tough to some wiseacre. After you're past your teens, you should know how to temper your emotions, and deal with a problem rationally.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    If you are confronted to have to defend yourself with fist and no weapon (but have your weapon on you) if LE arrives you will most likely get taken in for fighting. Question is how will that look as far as your licence will it be taken from you now that you have a misdemeanor for fighting?
    Just curious. What is your age demographics. Age certainly can play a role, in how things are viewed.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

For some reason, people want to fight me when they're drunk. I defended myself and wound up dropping the fool while carrying... I informed the responding LEO, and he jokingly said, "I woulda shot him". No problems.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    For some reason, people want to fight me when they're drunk. I defended myself and wound up dropping the fool while carrying... I informed the responding LEO, and he jokingly said, "I woulda shot him". No problems.
    Uh, sure they do. All you do is stand there looking gorgeous, and random drunk guys want to fight you. ...and, of course, you just drop 'em, and the cops want to give you a medal. That happens to Brad Pitt and George Clooney all the time, as well.

Where were you carrying that you ran into a drunk person? A bar? Or were you just waxing your Porsche 911 in the driveway of your multimillion-dollar home when a drunk guy came up and picked a fight with you?

Sheesh, dude. I go to pubs all over the world, and no one has ever offered to fight me. I am posting this from Beijing right now. Was out to a bar last night with friends. No drunks, not fights, no issues. Just like always. I've seen a few obnoxious drunks in bars, but I simply wave over the manager and have them removed. Done deal.

If I walk into any establishment, and see slobbering drunks or alcohol-fueled horseplay, I immediately depart. If roughhousing begins while I'm in any establishment, I also leave immediately and do not return. If a fight always begins around and with "you", then the problem may be - well - you.

Sounds like you like to violate the Rule of 3 Stupids:

Never:
    - hang out with stupid people
    - go to stupid places
    - do stupid things

If you're concerned enough about your safety to carry concealed, you'd be a lot safer following the "3 Stupids" maxim.
    Last edited by MadMac; August 19th, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Who in the world, outside of adolescents, has the mentality that it is OK to fight?
    It isn't--- unless you are doing so entirely in self defense.

The question asked, by its nature, suggests that the OP thinks he might engage in a fight at some point in the future.

If that is the case, he needs to rethink how he is living his life, his options in future confrontations and how to avoid them, and the character of those he hangs with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard
    Yes, but then those situations are very limited. You don't fight because someone offended you or disrespected you. Limit it to real self-defense needs. Limit it to situations you can not possibly get away from or avoid. See post 13 reiterating the rules for staying out of trouble. There is nothing honorable about getting in a fight and going to jail just to protect your honor in the first place.
    thats not how I interpreted the OP's question/post
    I read it as he legally (in his mind) defended himself in a less-lethal situation, maybe it didn't call for deadly force but he still had to go hands-on to defend himself, and he was just asking about ramifications with his CWP
    I think he got roasted prematurely in this thread based on his post

I also agree with the thought of hanging out/going places that will get you in trouble...believe me, I see it every time we have to go to bars or other businesses to remove the idiots, but I don't read that in the OP topic (JBachman may have some issues with his hangouts)

as always....you gotta know your state's laws, as others have said

I think its ok to fight...when NEEDED...not just because you want to puff out your chest and defend your honor or hurt pride, I'm talking about true self-defense, just like I think its ok to use deadly force when NEEDED, not just to shoot people whenever you like
    I have to fight/hands-on on job when NEEDED....not just for the fun of fighting
    I've been on several calls where a person used physical force in legal self-defense, it happens
    the OP got jumped on pretty quick for asking a legitimate question and I think several here misunderstood his reasoning/question

and defensive007....welcome to the forum
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    thats not how I interpreted the OP's question/post
    I read it as he legally (in his mind) defended himself in a less-lethal situation, maybe it didn't call for deadly force but he still had to go hands-on to defend himself, and he was just asking about ramifications with his CWP
    I think he got roasted prematurely in this thread based on his post
    Perhaps. However, I am sure you as a LEO have more opportunities to get into brawls with arseholes than your average ununiformed concealed carrier.

My comments came on the heels of his assertion that "For some reason, people want to fight me when they're drunk." That sounds to me like this has happened more than once, and he is pondering it happening again.

For me, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Why? Because it has never, ever happened to me or ANYONE I know in many decades. I have never even seen it happen in any establishment I have been in. I have seen situations start to get heated, but the very few I was involved in only required me to deescalate by taming my initial "rooster mode" response, and asking forgiveness, even when I was completely blameless. I realize that is only anecdotal evidence.

If you're concerned that you'll be hauled downtown for fighting and may lose your CHP, that means you are not sure you can be proven completely blameless for being involved in the fracas.

A completely guiltless person wouldn't even be concerned about it. Are there miscarriages of justice? Sure.

So, how do you minimize that possibility? Simple:

Never:
    - hang around with stupid people
    - go to stupid places
    - do stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Uh, sure they do. All you do is stand there looking gorgeous, and random drunk guys want to fight you.
    This isn't far fetched depending on his size. I had a roommate in college who was a magnet for drunk frat boys trying to prove how tough they were. He was a big (7'1", 420 lb) Teddy bear that always tried to deescalate but the drunks wouldn't have any of it. He finally stopped going to bars or nightclubs because he was tired of the trouble.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    This isn't far fetched depending on his size. I had a roommate in college who was a magnet for drunk frat boys trying to prove how tough they were. He was a big (7'1", 420 lb) Teddy bear that always tried to deescalate but the drunks wouldn't have any of it. He finally stopped going to bars or nightclubs because he was tired of the trouble.
    Cool. Your roomie hit two of the big three: stupid people, and stupid places.

VIP Member
    Perhaps. However, I am sure you as a LEO have more opportunities to get into brawls with arseholes than your average ununiformed concealed carrier.

My comments came on the heels of his assertion that "For some reason, people want to fight me when they're drunk." That sounds to me like this has happened more than once, and he is pondering it happening again.

For me, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Why? Because it has never, ever happened to me or ANYONE I know in many decades. I have never even seen it happen in any establishment I have been in. I have seen situations start to get heated, but the very few I was involved in only required me to deescalate by taming my initial "rooster mode" response, and asking forgiveness, even when I was completely blameless. I realize that is only anecdotal evidence.

If you're concerned that you'll be hauled downtown for fighting and may lose your CHP, that means you are not sure you can be proven completely blameless for being involved in the fracas.

A completely guiltless person wouldn't even be concerned about it. Are there miscarriages of justice? Sure.

So, how do you minimize that possibility? Simple:

Never:
    - hang around with stupid people
    - go to stupid places
    - do stupid things
    Mac.....you appear to be responding now (and responded earlier) to JBachman.....NOT the original poster
    thats what I was referring to in that the OP was getting roasted at the outset
    JBachman has other issues completely different from the OP question
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    Mac.....you appear to be responding now (and responded earlier) to JBachman.....NOT the original poster
    thats what I was referring to in that the OP was getting roasted at the outset
    JBachman has other issues completely different from the OP question
    Oops - just saw that.

My bad.

VIP Member
    Oops - just saw that.

My bad.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    Now days you need to walk with one eye over your shoulder at al times, my neighbor was robbed at 1pm last saturday and she is a handicap lady, young kid around 20 yrs old snatched her chain and pushed her to the ground. Would ove to have caught this kid in action.....
    You are obviously not an old fart like me. I'd help the lady and call the police.

Defend yourself. That's the bottom line.

But sometimes people deserve a beating. I don't care how "adolescent" it may sound; it's true. Whatever happened to settling things like men?

Sad times indeed.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Uh, why not invite the person to the gym, gear up and spar. IMO, if you're training hard and sparring and shooting you're gonna be too tired to be provoked or need to get aggro to get the urges out. Basically, back in the day I'd say 'I only fight if I'm getting paid to do so, otherwise, it's training, meet me at the gym'. It's the 'karate' brown belts who are out there sizing people up, getting into conflicts because they've got excessive energy and are playing a game of tag when they train, not really sparring. With combat handgunning, people are letting the gun give them a false sense of superiority or something. They live in a fantasy world. Getting good is hard work and there's no time for foolishness like street fighting. If you do, you're a dilettante and a poser.

$.02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links