Lethal Lorce or Less than Lethal?

This is a discussion on Lethal Lorce or Less than Lethal? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lethal Force or Less Than Lethal How would you handle this? You have 2 assailaints armed with 6" knives they are directly infront of you ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Lethal Lorce or Less than Lethal?

Lethal Force or Less Than Lethal

How would you handle this?

You have 2 assailaints armed with 6" knives they are directly infront of you approximately 3 feet. They demand your money but do not threaten your life.

Well what do you think?

If you had to stop and think you've already failed. They may have not only stabed you, but they are also counting what used to be your money.

Please only answer the question using the items you currently carry.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

This is really a question? I doubt you're going to get much variance in your answers on THIS forum...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

So lets assume I had my pepper spray with me. Sometimes I carry it, sometimes I don't. I usually carry it in my hand when I'm out for a walk.

In the case you described, when the BG is threatening with a deadly weapon, there is little question about it. My first reaction would be to drop the pepper spray to the ground as I reach for my gun. In the second or so it takes to draw and aim my gun at them, if they aren't already running away from me, then they have sealed their fate.

On the flip side of that. If they manage to take me by surprise and I have less than a second to respond, my first reaction would be a non-lethal reaction because my first need would be to get out of the way of the knife, or attempt to immobilize their weapon-yielding hand. Assuming I succeeded, that would be quickly followed up with some bullets. And if I don't succeed and I'm left on the ground to die, in those last few seconds I have, I'll probably still try to shoot them in the back.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

They have 6" blades in their hands and are demanding my wallet? No verbal threat necessary; their actions indicate they intend to seriously harm or even kill me to get what they want. I'm backing up or sidestepping while drawing and firing on both of them.

in my left vest pocket is a 642
    i use old coats and vests to keep in practice against the time i may not have time to withdraw the gun
    from the pocket before firing it.

this sure seems like one, err....2 of those times

ps: consider fire--more than half the time i fire a round in the pocket, the material catches on fire.

-----------------------

though im betting i can talk this out with no shots fired and no money changing hands.
    cause i'll tell them whats gonna happen if they do not go away.....and offer to show them if they will allow me to.
    this is what i mean by 'i will give a BG every chance he will allow me to, to go away--the very last thing i want
    to do is shoot someone but i am prepared to do it as the 1st thing if that is what is necessary.'
    they sense truth in my words ( Clint Eastwood?) and it has always been that this stratagy has worked.
    though i will not let previous encounters color new ones.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Brandishing a knife while demanding my money is a threat to my life!

Knives, meet firearm. One move towards me, they'll meet my firearm's little lead buddies.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Which hands are the knives in?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    This is really a question? I doubt you're going to get much variance in your answers on THIS forum...
    I am rarely not surprised with the different answers that pop up. Everyone has a different level of what they percieve as a deadly threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    They have 6" blades in their hands and are demanding my wallet? No verbal threat necessary; their actions indicate they intend to seriously harm or even kill me to get what they want. I'm backing up or sidestepping while drawing and firing on both of them.
    I would agree. lets see what others say.

Bang Bang Bang Bang.... Stand there and count their money!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Break to the left or right, whichever puts me to the outside of the blade of that susp, at about sixty degrees to provide some distance while stacking them and drawing. Bang, bang, bang, bang.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Rock beats scissors... every time.

<Edited to add>
    Dependent of course, on the caliber of the rocks you are throwing, and your accuracy with them.

Oh heck with it... Just move, and shoot 'em. I don't want anybody thinking I'm advocating chucking skimmers at guys with knives. The threat is obvious and implied, deadly force, danger to life or grave bodily injury, STOP the threats.
    Last edited by oakchas; August 18th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Lethal Force or Less Than Lethal

How would you handle this?

You have 2 assailaints armed with 6" knives they are directly infront of you approximately 3 feet. They demand your money but do not threaten your life.

Well what do you think?

If you had to stop and think you've already failed. They may have not only stabed you, but they are also counting what used to be your money.

Please only answer the question using the items you currently carry.
    I would attempt to stop the threat with lethal force, in other words shoot them as fast and with as many shots are needed to end the threat

VIP Member
    Doesn't really matter if there are 1 or 2. They are armed with a deadly weapon and my response will be with a deadly weapon. I can assure you it won't be with the tactical knife I carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

BANG BANG..BANG BANG!!! You two, drop your knives!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links