Hesitation - learning from my mistakes

This is a discussion on Hesitation - learning from my mistakes within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes hesitation can be an advantage. If one takes a second or two to access the situation before jumping in, it Gould make a difference ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hesitation - learning from my mistakes

Sometimes hesitation can be an advantage. If one takes a second or two to access the situation before jumping in, it Gould make a difference in a successfull resolution or a tradgic ending.

An example would be if someone falls in water unable to swim. The first reaction would be to jump in after them. But even a skilled swimmer would make a better choice by looking around for a flotation device or line to throw out yo the distressed person. A drowning person can be very dangerous to attempt to bring in physically, if proper technique is not known.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    ... or automatically catching your firearm if you start to drop it. I know better, but my reflexes tend to have a mind of their own.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    There is an old saying "he who hesitates is lost." In a life or death struggle this would more than likely be the case, which I thought was the OP's original question.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    It really does help to run scenarios through your mind on a continual basis.

I always try to think about the different variables in any given situation that could be troublesome. Then, I quickly assess what I might do to "prevent" a problem; and what is the proper correcting action "trouble" situation present itself.

If one disciplines themself to do this on a regular basis, you will greatly decreas your "reaction" times and heighten SA a great deal; which will help you avoid potential problems. (Practice this regularly and soon it will be second nature.)

If I've said it once, I said it a 1000 times; "AWARENESS and AVOIDANCE, should be the 'first' and 'foremost' tactic in SD".

IMHO;
    Situations and activities where SAFETY is an issue require some forethought before participating.

I'm not saying don't participate in an activity you and your family enjoy. However, I am saying;

"Try an make yourself "AWARE" of all the risks in any situation. THEN, do what you can to minimize risk and "AVOID" possible dangers."

ETA;
    I basically follow the rule of the four "A's":

1. ASSESS -- I continuously "ASSESS" my changing situation.

2. AWARENESS -- So, I can make myself "AWARE" of possible dangers.

3. AVOIDANCE -- Then I conteplate how to "AVOID" those dangers.

4. ACTION" -- I then take the appropriate "ACTION" to remain safe.

EVERTHING else is a variable in life.
    But!
    For me, these four "A's" are constant.
    -

IMHO being alert and safe comes from years of experience,I worked in the heavy construction field for a number of years,things I could foresee as dangerous somebody with no experience wouldn't.I also never panic to the point that I react without thinking,kid falls off a raft with a flotation vest,I'm gonna wait til the boat circles and drags the raft back to them,unless there is Sharks or Gators cruising around for a meal and if thats the case the kid ain't getting outta the boat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    To set the record straight, my kids are pretty coordinated and don't usually fall for no reason. My 4 year old was thrown from the back of the horse cart when the horse suddenly moved forward. My son fell off the slippery side of a rubber raft; snd my daughter was thrown from the tube that was being towed by a sailboat... And they are all fine, hearing-wise and balance-wise.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Training Training

While doing shoot house training yesterday we had a hostage scenario in the last room to clear. The other 3 members of my group hesitated when they entered the room. I did not.
    Am I a better than the other trainees? No, only better trained. I have been through military and LE training over the course of 30 years. My fellow trainees were all civilians with limited training.

Seek out any courses you feel can help you be better prepared.

Not sure of whom to credit for this quote.

"You will never rise to the occasion in a gunfight. You will sink to the level of your training. "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links