Thoughts from a shooting victim - Page 2

Thoughts from a shooting victim

This is a discussion on Thoughts from a shooting victim within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Inspector71 If someone shot me in the face I don't think I'd be Lol-ing as I spit out my teeth. No joke...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Thoughts from a shooting victim

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    If someone shot me in the face I don't think I'd be Lol-ing as I spit out my teeth.
    No joke

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Anything that knocks 7 teeth out in 1/100 of a second WILL drop you like a rock, whether its a .22 bullet, a baseball or a forearm.
    That's a whole lot of trauma in an extremely short period of time.
    My point wasn't being made in reference to you and me or anyone normal. It was in refernece to someone strung out on drugs, as mentioned in the second half of that post. I seriously doubt someone numb from drugs is going to feel that no matter how bad the damage is. The only thing that will stop them is 20 seconds of blood flow from a blown up artery or a shot to the CNS.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    My point wasn't being made in reference to you and me or anyone normal. It was in refernece to someone strung out on drugs, as mentioned in the second half of that post. I seriously doubt someone numb from drugs is going to feel that no matter how bad the damage is. The only thing that will stop them is 20 seconds of blood flow from a blown up artery or a shot to the CNS.
    No problem, we're cool. I don't know...I've never had any dealings with anyone "drug crazed". I would think that anything that would knock you or me down, would also knock them down. With the difference being you or I would realize how seriously we were injured and stay down, (unless we needed to finish a fight to stay alive, I hope) where someone that strung out wouldn't "know" how badly they were hurt and jump right back up.
    But like I said, I don't know for sure, I'm just trying to apply common sense and what I call "hillbilly logic".
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

looking at the victum's response from another viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    So your talking about maybe 4" of penetration and a head shot,I watched a guy on a video shoot himself in the leg with a 45 acp FMJ and he was not only able to walk but call somebody on his phone while screaming he just shot himself and then bandaged the wound,I'm thinking an armed individual with the same hit is gonna be flinging lead back at you big time.Some people lose a fight from the get go,a highly motivated individual can continue to fight until he bleeds out,or takes a fatal immediate hit,It's been proven in Combat,that men will continue to fight even tho wounded several times,not only to save themselves,but probably even more to save their buddies
    I agree.

The way I see it we are really not given all the information. Was the victum (the guy that posted on the other forum) an innocent victum? Was he taken by surprise, or was he already involved in a heated verbal exchange? Did he have any means of retaliating? Perhaps the reason the shot took him out of the fight was simply that he didn't want to be in the fight to begin with. In other words he was stopped because he didn't want to continue.

Mindset, determination and training can have a big difference in the outcome.

That being said I wouldn't want to take a face hit from a 22 or from a BB gun, or from a pellet tossed by a 4 year old, in that order.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Thanks for the very painful info. Kinda and kick me if I seem a jerk re-enforce the whole "shot placement, shot placement, shot placement" thing.
    Also getting shot sucks no matter caliber.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

More information needed. If this was shot with a .22 Rifle, the we should be comparing the damage to other Rifle calibers, not a .45 or 9mm.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    If I am ever in a shootout and I am only armed with a 22 for some bizarre reason (knock on wood) I will definitely be shooting for the head and neck / high chest. I might not kill him but I will do my best to prevent and dissuade him from killing me.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

This is why I always say aim for the face. If you shoot someone in the face with a .22 or a .44 mag his will to fight on will be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    This is why I always say aim for the face. If you shoot someone in the face with a .22 or a .44 mag his will to fight on will be broken.
    I don't think this would be high quality advice..

Quote Originally Posted by pro2a.lib View Post
    I don't think this would be high quality advice..
    Really? So sarcasm is completely lost on you I take it.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    This is why I always say aim for the face.
    Jim Cirillo thought it high quality advice, and he'd been in many more gunfights than most here I'd wager.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I think I don't EVER wanna know or FIND OUT how it feels to be shot with ANY caliber!
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I firmly believe a 200 gr hornady TAP hp would be more humane. Said writer wouldnt have felt ANY pain.

Senior Moderator
    No problem, we're cool. I don't know...I've never had any dealings with anyone "drug crazed". I would think that anything that would knock you or me down, would also knock them down.
    I'm just trying to apply common sense and what I call "hillbilly logic".
    This is exactly the problem with good people that carry little guns. They try to use "logic" on people that have never used it, cant spell it, or have no idea what it means.

They also tend to think that the person that they fight with has the same pain threshold that they do and they assume that the bad guy even cares about living.

That is why people carry little calibers. They argue that they will kill someone and dead is dead,without realizing that some people dont know they are dead yet and wont stop attacking you until they quit moving. Handguns in all calibers are an iffy proposition, so you are already handicapped. Its the very reason that people fighting wars use rifles and not handguns.

Statistics show that if you have to shoot someone in self defense, more than likely they will be drunk, high on drugs or not in the right state of mind. If you have to shoot someone with a handgun, and they are messed up, you want it to do the job in a manner that stops the attack...right then, not 20 minutes from now when the guy bleeds out.

Everyone argues about shot placement. Yeah...you have got have that to work. Unfortunately what most people dont realize is that being able to shoot a nice little group at 25 yards on a target that doesnt move, dosent charge you with a big knife or isnt shooting back at you is easy and not all like shooting at someone that wants you dead, that wont stand in one spot, or uses cover, or shoots back . Its not rocket science hitting a moving target, but it does take practice, and a different sort of practice that most people dont practice.

I have seen otherwise excellent shooters, guys that could shoot little groups with pistol or rifle at ranges too far the average guy to beleive,miss each other at arms length when using force on force drills.Guys that would argue that shooting a man sized target is easy, that you couldn't hardly miss. Then you change things up about and use force on force in unkown scenarios where you have to think on your feet and react right or get shot, and all of a sudden all of those target shooting skills and techniques go right out the window. Someone that actually hunts you and wants to shoot you and it changes the dynamics quite a bit. You know that getting shot hurts, and it hurts enough that you arent going to get stupid and expose yourself.

No imagine yourself doing force on force drills with a simunitions equipped .22 going against someone with a chalked knife, or even a 9mm equipped Simunitions gun.

If you had several different pistols on a table, all of them in different calibers, like .22,25, .380, 9mm or .45 which one would you pick?

Would anyone with even an inkling of a clue pick a .22,25 or even a .380 if they knew they were going ito battle..even if it were just Simunitions and you could all laugh and joke around and talk about your exploits when it was all over?

Then why is it OK to use weenie calibers to be called upon if you have to defend yourself or your loved ones with lethal force?

It doesn't make sense does it? That it why I say that those that feel the smaller calibers or OK have unrealistic expectations. They arent carry a gun with the intent to win a battle, they are carrying the gun because it is convenient, its easy, because it is less of a hassle. They think that everyone thinks like they do, and that they will be as easy to kill as what they seen on TV where someone gets shot and instantly drops.

It only makes sense to use the most efficient tool for the job, and the little calibers are not it.
    OD*, smolck and gunthorp like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    It isn't the little calibers that attract people.... It is the little guns. Notice the trend is tiny gun larger caliber? Pistols chambered in 380 are as small as their 32 and 25 cousins. Now the trend seems to venture to tiny 9mm. Even some tiny 40 calibers are around... May even become more popular, who knows.

Pistol technology improves and so do the materials. Making those micro hand cannons possible. Pistols smaller than 380 are becoming less popular. The only reason 22 is still very popular is it is super cheap to shoot and there is almost no recoil.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links