Thoughts from a shooting victim

This is a discussion on Thoughts from a shooting victim within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods I did not know exactly what category to put this under so please feel free to move it. This was posted on another forum ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Thoughts from a shooting victim

VIP Member

Thoughts from a shooting victim

Mods I did not know exactly what category to put this under so please feel free to move it.

This was posted on another forum and I thought some of you might get something out of it on here.

For those of you who think that caliber, bullet weight, ballistics tables tell the whole story read this.

This was not a large caliber, a .22. This was not a lethal shot nor multiple shots. This was an average guy.

I can add some personal insight to caliber and the damage it does. Oct 22nd 1997 I was shot with a 22cal at 20 yards in the right side of my face. 1st fact: I never heard the shot that got me..lol. All I felt was a massive blow to the head, kind of like getting hit with a baseball bat. 2nd fact: It dropped me like a sack of potatos......I was not thinking I need to kill the dude that just shot me, I was thinking who the hell just rocked my world (just fro a nano second until I spit out my teeth....lol) 3rd fact: That little 22cal bullet took 4 top teeth on the right side, tore my tounge up severly, blew a hole through my pallett into my left sinus that you could put your thumb in, and took 3 top teeth on the left side of my face. 4th fact: the bullet did not exit.
    Emergency transfer to a hospital that could handle the wound, 67 stitches in my tounge, and some serious recoup time and all is well.
    Dont be fooled thinking you need a big piece of lead to do big damage.......all you need is one well placed round.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

I'm assuming that from that distance, the tiny bullet was shot by rifle. A similar round from a revolver is not going to be as powerful. Still, an interesting read.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    and in my mind, the reason he dropped like a sack of potatoes was from the sheer surprise of it all. Had he been a meth crazed attacker bent on hurting or killing someone he would not have succumbed the way he did. This article in no way (to me personally) proves that a .22 is sufficient for self defense.
    357and40 and Yankeejib like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I have a friend who was shot in the right shoulder from a .22 from five feet away. He is a LEO and it just happened to hit him inches from his vest. To him it was more of an inconvenience and felt like a bee sting. Now remember he is a 6'2" 280lb barrel of mussel. Long story short, he was still able to draw his service weapon with his right hand and drop the guy with six shots.

So yes placement is a big factor in a shooting but I still would not carry a .22 for self defense.
    357and40 likes this.

I don't think there is anything in the world that can prove anything to anyone who has already made up their minds about what they think they know.

Looking at it objectively, there is nothing there that convinsed me it won't work in SD either, although I prefer to error on the side of having a bigger caliber.
    Stubborn, Hopyard, SFury and 4 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't think there is anything in the world that can prove anything to anyone who has already made up their minds about what they think they know.
    That's a GEM! Would make a good signature line!

If it had been a 45 it would have (as Deadguy put it so eloquently) "spun them around 32 times" and taken the entire top of the writers head off. We would be reading an obituary rather than an article.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    If someone shot me in the face I don't think I'd be Lol-ing as I spit out my teeth.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Senior Moderator
    If I shot someone in the face, I would prefer that their head explode...not be writing an article about it some time later.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lets put things in perspective from a medical point of view. Any kind of blow to the head is going to shock a person. Whereas a .22 through other fleshy parts of the body will not cause as much immediate pain, especially if somebody's adrenaline is up. For example, you can knock somebody unconscious with the right kind of punch to the face.

Having said that, lets imagine the same scenario played out with a .45 HP instead of the .22 caliber. How much more damage would it cause?

I have a friend who was accidentally shot in the neck by a accident with a .22 when he was 14 years old. He was in intensive care for months and still has issues today controlling some of his muscles.

The guy responsible for the carnage at Virginia tech used a Walther P22 and a Glock 19 for his choices of weapon.

So yes.. .22 caliber can be a deadly weapon. I think we've covered it 1,000 times here. The shot placement is the most important aspect of any round, but even more so with the smaller ones.

Do I think a .22 pistol makes a good self defense weapon? Yes, absolutely.
    Do I think a larger caliber makes a better self defense weapon? Yes, absolutely.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I'd venture to say if it had been a Stinger, or other hyper velocity, he would not have had a tongue.

A point of interest to me is the mouth is a soft tissue area. This is really not comparable to damage in more solid mass human tissue.

Good thing he wasn't wearing braces, it would have been like an m67 frag going off in his mouth.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

So your talking about maybe 4" of penetration and a head shot,I watched a guy on a video shoot himself in the leg with a 45 acp FMJ and he was not only able to walk but call somebody on his phone while screaming he just shot himself and then bandaged the wound,I'm thinking an armed individual with the same hit is gonna be flinging lead back at you big time.Some people lose a fight from the get go,a highly motivated individual can continue to fight until he bleeds out,or takes a fatal immediate hit,It's been proven in Combat,that men will continue to fight even tho wounded several times,not only to save themselves,but probably even more to save their buddies
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    and in my mind, the reason he dropped like a sack of potatoes was from the sheer surprise of it all. Had he been a meth crazed attacker bent on hurting or killing someone he would not have succumbed the way he did. This article in no way (to me personally) proves that a .22 is sufficient for self defense.
    Anything that knocks 7 teeth out in 1/100 of a second WILL drop you like a rock, whether its a .22 bullet, a baseball or a forearm.
    That's a whole lot of trauma in an extremely short period of time.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All I can say is I hope he doesn't have the Delta Dental plan, they won't pay half of what he needs.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Looking at it objectively, there is nothing there that convinsed me it won't work in SD either, although I prefer to error on the side of having a bigger caliber.
    Yup, a couple inches higher and I doubt it very much if the guy would be alive today to discuss the incident.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links