Blew my SA down my legg...or did I???

This is a discussion on Blew my SA down my legg...or did I??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll bet when the meter mans wife does his laundry she's in for a surprise. I need to work harder on observing my surroundings also. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Blew my SA down my legg...or did I???

I'll bet when the meter mans wife does his laundry she's in for a surprise. I need to work harder on observing my surroundings also. I'm in condition white all the time it seems.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    maybe I'm way off base here but it seems very strange to me that you would react that way to someone saying "how's it going"....
    Not me. If I see nothing, and suddenly a male voice is three feet behind me, I'm going to be startled. "How's it going? Gimmie your wallet and keys." It's that adrenaline rush after something out of normal happens.
    garyacman and bergeror like this.

I apologized for almost shooting him.
    Just curious, if had been someone you didn't recognize, wearing baggy shorts and a "T" shirt down to his knees would you have shot him? I'm sure my hand would have gone to my gun as I turned, but lacking any more signs of a threat, I doubt I would have completed the draw, much less shot the guy. Gotta watch that "Startle Response"! Be careful out there.
    str1

For clarification, the OP states that he did not draw (clear leather).
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by shooter1 View Post
    I apologized for almost shooting him.
    Just curious, if had been someone you didn't recognize, wearing baggy shorts and a "T" shirt down to his knees would you have shot him? I'm sure my hand would have gone to my gun as I turned, but lacking any more signs of a threat, I doubt I would have completed the draw, much less shot the guy. Gotta watch that "Startle Response"! Be careful out there.
    str1
    To answer your question...my yards are fully fenced (4 foot chain link/cyclone) with entry gates to the front yard and back yard that stay closed and latched. ANYONE in my yard without my knowledge is a potentially unwelcomed intruder...ANYONE...If it had been someone I didn't recognize, dressed as you have stated, then I WOULD HAVE COMPLETED THE DRAW...His actions from that point on would have determined how the situation played out. I definitely agree one must be careful with the "startle response", hence my SA critique on myself in hopes of reducing those startle responses in the future, especially on my own property/at home.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I got a chainsaw,Just gimme directions,make sure you take your wife to dinner,act surprised when she asks where all the trees and bushes went
    I'm with duk on this one. Why is it I see Roundup in your shrub's future?

Glad everything turned out ok. That one should have blown out some arterial clogs for the both of you.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    maybe I'm way off base here but it seems very strange to me that you would react that way to someone saying "how's it going"....

I can understand being startled but I'm surprised that you would instantly begin drawing your weapon. What if it was a girl scout?
    You havn't seen some of the girl scouts where I live.........

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Not sure I would have immediately reached for my firearm over "how's it going".... But regardless, you're right. Nobody's SA is perfect. I find myself in condition white a lot. The good thing is, realizing and quickly becoming alert. We can't be 100% alert all the time. We can't see everything, we can't hear everything, we're only human. Just do the best you can.

When I'm in public alone, I'm like Jason Bourne. When I'm out with friends, I tend to pay more attention to them and stay in the conversation then paying attention to my surroundings. I need to work on being able to do both at the same time.
    Like Jason Bourne huh, so you have no memory of who or where you are but you are secretly a ninja?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Like Jason Bourne huh, so you have no memory of who or where you are but you are secretly a ninja?
    Basically, yes...

Trim the bushes or at least cut out firing lanes.
    Semper Fi

SA is one of the easieast and most effective ways to prevent the unthinkable from happening concidering most of us do it without
    realizing where doing it. Kind of like a common sense thing. Instincts just kicked in automatically. If there is one place that I let my guard down its probably at my home. Thats where mans best friend is a great addition to the family. Always lets you know when someones outside the house. HATES mailman,garbadge man ect.
    TC

So you're leaving your home and from behind you're surprised by a person asking "how's it going?" I can see turning to see whom it is. Rule 3 (or 4, depending) is: Be certain of your target and backstop.

Going for the draw prior to that is questionable. Not necessarily wrong, but certainly open to debate and discussion. Does the presence of an unexpected person in this instance constitute a lethal threat warranting lethal force?

Logically - and when it comes to BGs and dirtbags often there is no logic - a person intent on doing you harm in this kind of situation would have the drop on you. You could be turning and drawing into a muzzle. Your action in that case could precipitate your being shot.

So maybe, and I'm just tossing this out for consideration, looking to see the nature of the threat prior to going for the draw might be the better strategy.

That's part of SA. If you're so jumpy that your hand is going for your weapon when doing so isn't required (door slams, car backfires, etc.) then that's something to work on and correct.

To my way of thinking, if somebody wants to get me, all they have to do is hide behind the oak tree in front of my house at about 5:45 am. Wait for me to come out for the paper. Or they could park up the street with a deer rifle and pick me off from 50 yards. Defending against those kinds of threats is possible, but I can't live that way. You shouldn't have to, either. You have a right to have nice grounds and shrubbery. The tradeoff is that you give the ninjas an edge. Fair trade.
    bds9009 and satori59 like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Hey man, get rid of the bushes or trim them shorter. No big deal. Had they been shorter, you would have seen him no problem, I'm sure.

I think you handled yourself just fine. No harm, no foul... But as you found out, tall bushes blocking your view and up close to your house or deck provides a good hiding place for nogoodnicks looking to do evil on you and your family.

It's something which really needs to be addressed. Trim them shorter where you can see, move them, or just plain get rid of them. Consider your little scare as a teachable moment. I don't think you were doing anything wrong as you were leaving your house and locking up. You just couldn't see through that huge barrier. Had they been cut back, I'm sure you would have noticed him as you came out of the house, before you turned to lock your door. Certainly as you walked across the deck moving towards the steps.

Glad everything turned out okay.
    Old School likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    To be clear, OP this is not criticism directed at you, but a general view of what could happen. Glad you didn't shoot one of your local public servants. :)

The startled reflex of reaching for a weapon from what is considered a friendly "how do you do?" could get you shot and viewed as the aggressor. The greeter could/would be seen as the person exercising self defense against a man that brandished/drew his weapon without just cause if he were to react by drawing and shooting you.

The "thugly" dressed example comes to mind here. Had it been that guy simply saying, "wassup yo?", would that same reaching for the weapon response include more aggressive tactics once the "threat" was addressed? That's for each of us to decide on our own. Just keep in mind that the pivoting, clearing the garment and grabbing the grip of a weapon (imagine if someone did that to you) could cause the other person to see you as a deadly threat and react by drawing on you and firing or engaging in close quarters combat that could eventually lead to a death...or two.

It's understated how important it is to recognize the threat before taking action. Chances are a BG out to get you won't greet you. This ain't Hollywood where they say hello and wait for you to turn around so they can land the perfect punch. If they have gotten that close to you without being recognized, you've probably already lost the fight.
    shockwave and bds9009 like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

As others have stated, you did well and it turned out OK. On another note, I bet you get accurate meter readings from now on . Seriously though, I hope the meter reader doesn't' go and tell everyone at work about you, not that anything would happen but I would just hate to read your next post about being served for freaking out some sheep, even though you did nothing wrong. You know how people can be.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Wow, some one says hows it going from behind you and you start to draw your weapon. I would say you need to work on more they situational awareness. You really need to ratchet down a notch or two unless of course you are in a war zone. Just because someone surprises you doesn't give you the right or need to act like that. The meter man should have called the cops to get your actions on record in case you do more of this crazy stuff and protect himself.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links