Blew my SA down my legg...or did I???

This is a discussion on Blew my SA down my legg...or did I??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by muddy Wow, some one says hows it going from behind you and you start to draw your weapon. I would say you ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Blew my SA down my legg...or did I???

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Wow, some one says hows it going from behind you and you start to draw your weapon. I would say you need to work on more they situational awareness. You really need to ratchet down a notch or two unless of course you are in a war zone. Just because someone surprises you doesn't give you the right or need to act like that. The meter man should have called the cops to get your actions on record in case you do more of this crazy stuff and protect himself.
    First Sgt did very well in my book. He was startled by a male voice from behind, when a second ago he saw no one. He didn't clear the weapon, simply prepared to draw. Oh, there is also the simple fact he was on his own property. He has every right to "act like that".

I'm surprised the guy didn't tell someone, but I don't think he should have either.
    Old School, WHEC724 and 9MMare like this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Wow, some one says hows it going from behind you and you start to draw your weapon. I would say you need to work on more they situational awareness. You really need to ratchet down a notch or two unless of course you are in a war zone. Just because someone surprises you doesn't give you the right or need to act like that. The meter man should have called the cops to get your actions on record in case you do more of this crazy stuff and protect himself.
    Have you ever had to defend yourself? Have you ever been threatened on your own property when you weren't expecting it? Do you have any training and have you ever even seen how fast things go wrong? Do you have anything to base your assumptions on seeing as you weren't there and have no idea of his property layout?

A man on your property unannounced is a bad thing. Do you believe that every bad guy starts a confrontation with "Here comes a violent attack!"? No, some will ask how you're doing or even go as far as to dress as a utility worker or similar.

I'm not trying to be a total jerk here, but giving advice based on an assumption and is ridiculous. Personally, I don't care one bit what someone does that may be a bad choice, but to talk down to someone else for doing the right thing, really irritates me. Some new guy, completely unaware of how things work, the laws and how attacks go down could read this, mistakenly agree with you and be taken off guard by the next criminal that asks him how he's doing.

I've said this numerous times, but there should be a prerequisite for advice and comments on things like this that you've either experienced it first had or have a good bit of education in the field.
    garyacman likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

First Sgt, You did fine..Im glad you and your family are ok. Im with the others on trimming the bushes.

I think you did just fine First Sgt. As you stated, you might need to work on communication with your wife. I have been in places where my SA has been amped up due to not being in the best part of town, but I could totally see how my SA might not be where it should be in a situation like yours. For my part, thanks to First Sgt for sharing his experience so tha we all can learn from it.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Yesterday as I was letting my little boy into the house through our garage I hear a male voice behind me say "Hey.". Instinct took over. Without even realizing I was doing it I dropped everything in my hands and had my hand on my pistol grip as I spun on the person behind me IN MY GARAGE...

I had not made it out of the holster when I realized that the voice belonged to my brother in law who was stopping by to see the components of the bare-bones PC upgrade we are working on... As he saw me about to draw his hands went up and he quickly said "WOAH! JUST ME! Sorry I didn't announce myself."

I was in business casual with my shirt tucked over my M&Pc. He was shocked at how quick my response was (frankly I was too) and ended up praising me for such an immediate response to a "stranger/threat" in defense of my family. He pointed out something I did not even realize I did. I put myself between my son & him as I rounded. Nice to know that the subconscious thinks about stuff like that....

I think the OP did a great job in recovering from his lack of SA & my own situation really makes me identify with it. I read the original post before my incident and just did not think about it again until after it happened...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Seriously, you need to trim those 8 ft bushes down. Good place for perks to hide and observe you and family inside and outside of your home. They just make real good concealment at that height day and night.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Not to gang up on you folks who have criticized 1SG for his response--a fact that most of us may have missed in his subsequent post--his yard is completely fenced. This means that "whoever" is in his yard, is there by intent and didn't just wander in.

A fence is a "boundary" marker. The assumption that we all make is that a fence, as a boundary marker, means it is a "kind of" secure area. Not truly secure, but the fence has to be intentionally breached in order for somebody to be inside the "semi-secure" area. So, when he was "surprised" by a male voice that was not supposed to be there in his "secured area", then his response was very appropriate.

The meter reader walks for a living so he is probably in good shape, but I'm thinking that he got a sudden cadriac workout as he belatedly realized what could have happened
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    maybe I'm way off base here but it seems very strange to me that you would react that way to someone saying "how's it going"....

I can understand being startled but I'm surprised that you would instantly begin drawing your weapon. What if it was a girl scout?
    I concur, and will play Devil's Advocate here.

I'm just trying to do my job and this paranoid, gun-toting maniac tried to pull his gun on me just because he didn't see me. Almost gave me a heart attack. My lawyer says this is a clear case of assault with a deadly weapon and is worth something in the range of a million dollars.

Just because you're spooked doesn't justify drawing a firearm! You'd better make sure there's a definite threat first. "He might have been a threat" won't stand up well in court.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

He was shocked at how quick my response was (frankly I was too) and ended up praising me for such an immediate response to a "stranger/threat" in defense of my family.
    Yeah. "Thank you, brother-in-law, for almost killing me. I praise you for your lightning-quick grab at your gun when you had no idea who or what you were drawing on. Well done, brother-in-law, for almost killing me. I'm really impressed by your unthinking, cat-like reflexes. It was deeply impressive to me that you pull and prepare to shoot when you have no idea whether there is a threat or not - any strange noise will 'set you off'. My regards and compliments, sir."

In my world, BIL would have said, "What the heck is wrong with you?" (Readers should replace 'heck' with the obvious word.)
    bsms likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Depending on where in Florence the OP lives, he may have been well justified in what he did. (I live in the same town as the OP and there are some places where a little extra caution is a good thing.)

But, I agree with trimming the hedges and possibly taking a little extra time to take a look at the larger area around his home before he turns around to lock up is a good idea.

I keep my blinds open during the day so as I walk through my house I can get a clear look outside for any potential threats. So, when I get to my door I only have two places to look.

One is where the cars are parked. (I can clear this area without opening my door.)
    Two is the area about 6' from the bottom of the steps. (This is the only place where someone could possibly hide behind my house without being seen.)

I also agree that the OP may be a little to jumpy. But, I don't know his background. So, his nervousness may be justified.

I do know sometimes there is a good reason for being extra jumpy!

I was once the target of a well know South American drug kingpin; and I spent several years avoiding assasination attempts. I had to move out of state twice because of failed attempts on my life. It was only after this person was killed and his organization brought down did these attempts stop. (My former partner was not so fortunate.)

All this happened almost three decades ago; but, I am just now feeling safe enough to talk about it somewhat.

-

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Tcox and 1st Sarge I grew up across the river from where you are and only live two hours away now. We should have a shrub-trimmin get together one weekend. Unless tcox is afraid i could be the kingpin. J/k I do dead people not drugs.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Tcox and 1st Sarge I grew up across the river from where you are and only live two hours away now. We should have a shrub-trimmin get together one weekend. Unless tcox is afraid i could be the kingpin. J/k I do dead people not drugs.
    LOL
    No worries, all the guys that was after me are burning in hell now. But, I did worry about some of their people coming after me for a while. Things have been good & quiet for over twenty years now; except for a small run-in I had with some local crack dealers about 20yrs ago.

I did live with fear the 1st few years; mainly because I did get attacked and shot at a few times. I also had someone try to blow up my car twice. But, the main reason I left and went underground was because some of my family members were being threatened.

Today, most of my family has passed on so nothing can happen to them. Besides, now-a-days I'm just an ornery old cuss and don't really give a ----- anymore.

-

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Yeah. "Thank you, brother-in-law, for almost killing me. I praise you for your lightning-quick grab at your gun when you had no idea who or what you were drawing on. Well done, brother-in-law, for almost killing me. I'm really impressed by your unthinking, cat-like reflexes. It was deeply impressive to me that you pull and prepare to shoot when you have no idea whether there is a threat or not - any strange noise will 'set you off'. My regards and compliments, sir."

In my world, BIL would have said, "What the heck is wrong with you?" (Readers should replace 'heck' with the obvious word.)
    Note, I did not make it out of the holster and my recognition of the non-threat in sufficient time was pretty darn clear. I did exactly as I trained in light of a potential threat including the part about evaluating whether or not the PERCEIVED threat is an ACTUAL threat.

I guess in your world SA is 100% 100% of the time? Especially in your own garage? Just wondering how you would respond if someone is INSIDE your garage when you are not expecting them...

I don't know about Florida, but in Missouri Castle Doctrine is a strong part of the equation....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I'm a little miffed at all the criticism for OP's reaction here. If you have a fenced yard, the only place that you expect to see someone is on the path between the gate and the front door on their way to make their presence known.

I'll even take it a step further here and put some of the responsibility on Mr. Water Man. First Sgt, you said your wife saw him enter the property. She apologized for not mentioning it, and maybe she should have, but consider that maybe he should have greeted her as he entered the property and saw that you were there. As the outsider (even with a proper utility easement), I'd say it's his responsibility to make sure he's not surprising anyone.

Whaddya wanna bet that's exactly what he does from now on? After he gets new pants, that is
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.

I really don't think anyone is being to critical of FS at all. Everyone gets a little jumpy from ttt. I think jumpyness only becomes an issue if you live your life in an overly nervous state.

Being to nervous or jumpy can slow down your reflexes and cause you to make some serious mistakes in a real SD situation. It's been my experience that if a person is to jumpy it geneally means they neglected to train & prepare the way they should. But, I don't think this is the case with the OP; other than the fact, he failed to recognize the bushes were a possible danger zone.

I've read enough of FS' post to know he's not a jumpy sort of guy. The main critique most people have is adivising him it may be time to trim the bushes. That, and the fact that it is always a good idea to look a little closer at your entire OA before letting yourself be distracted. (Like I said before, there are some places where it pays to be a little more cautious.)

My apologies FS if you feel you have been unjustly criticised.

-

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links