Blew my SA down my legg...or did I??? - Page 5

Blew my SA down my legg...or did I???

This is a discussion on Blew my SA down my legg...or did I??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gene83 Well first off, this was a meter reader and I suppose if you want utilities at your house, then he has ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Blew my SA down my legg...or did I???

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Well first off, this was a meter reader and I suppose if you want utilities at your house, then he has a right to be there. Secondly, he did announce himself...from the original post....a male voice comes from behind me saying "How's it going?!?"...

What type of announcement was he supposed to make? "I'm reading meters. Don't shoot me!!"?

I'm not saying that the OP overreacted but if you don't want people reading water meters on your property, then dig a well.
    When the guy came on OP's property a "Hi There" would have done the trick...

ITW
    Well first off, this was a meter reader and I suppose if you want utilities at your house, then he has a right to be there. Secondly, he did announce himself...from the original post....a male voice comes from behind me saying "How's it going?!?"...

What type of announcement was he supposed to make? "I'm reading meters. Don't shoot me!!"?

I'm not saying that the OP overreacted but if you don't want people reading water meters on your property, then dig a well.
    Hey, maybe he's really a gang banger just disguised as a utility worker.

J/K

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Apparently, the OP just came out of his house....

Okay, out the door we come, I turn my back to the yard and face my front door, and as my wife and granddaughter walk towards the steps at the end of the porch, I double lock my front door. By the time I turned around, wife and granddaughter are helping each other down the steps (four steps). I laugh and made a remark about the blind leading the blind, with my attention on both of them going down the steps. I am now directly behind them, about to take the first step down, as they get to the bottom step and step on the sidewalk. I am a split second behind them and as my feet hit the sidewalk, a male voice comes from behind me saying "How's it going?!?"...

Maybe in your neck of the woods, meter readers knock on your door, introduce themselves, and ask your permission to read the meter and be on your property....but they don't where I live. They just walk in the yard, read it and move on.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Apparently, the OP just came out of his house....

Okay, out the door we come, I turn my back to the yard and face my front door, and as my wife and granddaughter walk towards the steps at the end of the porch, I double lock my front door. By the time I turned around, wife and granddaughter are helping each other down the steps (four steps). I laugh and made a remark about the blind leading the blind, with my attention on both of them going down the steps. I am now directly behind them, about to take the first step down, as they get to the bottom step and step on the sidewalk. I am a split second behind them and as my feet hit the sidewalk, a male voice comes from behind me saying "How's it going?!?"...

Maybe in your neck of the woods, meter readers knock on your door, introduce themselves, and ask your permission to read the meter and be on your property....but they don't where I live. They just walk in the yard, read it and move on.
    Where I come from, meter readers park where you can see them, and they're very aware of when a resident is in the yard... I've always gotten a "Hi there" as soon as my door opens or they see me, well before I would be outside and he was in between myself and my door.

ITW

In my neck of the woods they get bit by the German Shepard, then get a gun pulled on them.

Of course it's against company policy not to be a willing participant.

That's one of the reasons why I'm no longer a meter reader.

Hey livewire, are they required to make an appointment before they come?

All joking aside, this is part of the reason most utilities have gone to radio meters. All the reader has to do is ride by the residence to get a reading.

Meter reading ninjas are everywhere. Which is why we must stay in condition yellow..

My first impression was that the OP over-reacted, but if this is how he trained to react to such a situation, then he was right on. If this was his plan, he executed very well. (And he didnt draw)

As for it being an over-reaction, it also depends on where he lives and what the normal baseline there is...what his expectations are.

I live in a rural area, on fully fenced acreage, with a gate that you have to come thru and that is often locked. Someone popping out of nowhere at me? I KNOW they wont belong there (or maybe they do depending on circumstances).....and I doubt I'd react as well. Matter of fact, I go in and out of my doors all the time to do things on my property and am rarely armed unless I am going off to town.

However I do have my own plan for such a scenario...dive back into the house fast and grab gun, ask questions later. (Not display it, certainly not shoot...but get thee armed!) Yeah, I know that's not enough in some folks' opinions, but that's the plan anyway.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Btw, when I read the thread title, my first thought was that someone had accidentally shot themself in the leg drawing a single-action firearm.

I think I prefer to remain with that thought with regards to the title.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    Muddy makes a good point that's not the least bit ridiculous, and is or should be covered in any CCW class worth its salt.

If you draw down on somebody for no apparent reason, then you've potentially got a legal problem.

In my view and like a few others have mentioned, it's a mistake to adopt a public mindset that everybody is potentially out to do you harm and you must be ready or present your firearm against any possible threat. For one thing this is unrealistic. Not only is it impossible for you to be equipped for every possible scenario, failing to exercise patience and good judgment can have detrimental consequences as well. For another it can potentially lead to illegal conduct on ones part that could jeopardize ones ability to carry in the first place.

Instead of allowing ones CCW to give one a false sense of security, my feeling is the appropriate mindset is that it is only a last resort. Realizing of course that the best weapon one possesses is their brain and not their CCW.

What part of being totally taken by surprised did you not understand.

Oh' the whole "last resort thing". A little clue for ya to chew on..... We know all about the last resort mindset and all the other talking points....

Again, to call Law enforcement on someone that you yourself startled by what ever means in which the individuals reaction was less than desirable, but NOT escalated beyond the original response, is stupid, and totally uncalled for and IMO only a punk would resort to retaliation of any kind. THE END.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post

+1.

Like Guantes stated already. The gentleman didn't even draw his firearm, but apparently that's irrelevant for this guy.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links