Now carrying I replay a couple of incidents.

This is a discussion on Now carrying I replay a couple of incidents. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry daily now and often I replay incidents from when I didn't either because I was too young or too stupid and didn't fill ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Now carrying I replay a couple of incidents.

I carry daily now and often I replay incidents from when I didn't either because I was too young or too stupid and didn't fill out the application the day I turned 21 (23 now)

Incident 1) Helping my friend move out after being evicted. LEO have responded to the residence before to deal with the eviction proceedings so the address is on file. The move going smoothly, we're on our last load for the night probably 9pm. All of a sudden I see two just dark figures in the middleof the yard walking towards us.

My slow brain is working overtime. I takeout my EDC flashlight turn it on and hand goes on whatever the EDC knife was at the time. Turns out to be two very aggressively suited up LEOs with longarms the stopped when the light hit them. Asked my to turn the light
    off and then I see a blacked out cruiser coming down the road after them. Turns out someone called in a complaint of gunshots at the address I was helping my friend move out of.

Situation ended fine. But now that I'm carrying I think my approach after seeing the two dark figured would have been completely different and caused a completely different reaction. Dunno exactly how, but I sure my hand would have either been on my gun or it would have been drawn.

Incident 2) At a bar while my friend is bartending. She had asked me to come down because she was alone and there was a customer there creeping her out. I obliged as I do when any of my friends are in need, especially the pretty ones with access to a free drink or 5. I get there and this kid is walking into walls and smiling about it. Not drunk, I know drunk I deal with that every weekend. He is talking to himself just overall odd behavior.

I was sitting by this kid with one seat between us, I could have choose another seat but it was my favorite seat, I could see both entrances. Anyway in casual conversation I tell him I thought he looked familiar. He replies by picking up a pint glass and telling me if I said I know him again he is going to smash this glass over my head.

I said deescalated that quickly. Didn't want any problems. But I never moved my seat and he continued a conversation with me. The bartender told me she never ID'ed him. I told the kid if he gave her his ID I would buy his drinks for the rest night ( which would have been water water and more water) He decided he'd make the same threat with the glass again. This time I had enough grabbed him and removed him from the establishment. He did end up breaking the glass on my head, I do have a scar. I got him outside, followed by 6 other patrons of the bar and the bartender. I had him pinned they took the glass away from him and told me I was bleeding. I was going to let him go but decided now that I'm bleeding they could call the cops. They arrived, I threw my hands up as I'm sure the situation didn't look too good. I'm 6'4 340 on a good day, he was 5'7" 160 tops? I had my knee in his chest telling him not to move, he was still talking ****.

I'm sure I wouldn't have needed a weapon for this but I think about how it might have played out if I was carrying in terms of my ever going hands on. I've heard that you have to avoid problems even more after you start carrying.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Long way to go you have. Both of your examples you were in a wrong place, wrong time situation. Neither time should you have even thought about a gun.
    sgb and Hopyard like this.

1st incident.. You could have been shot. Draw a gun on a cop, not a good thing. You want to re-think..The flashlight was good and still is good...

2nd incident..You did fine. I see no need for a weapon
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Long way to go you have. Both of your examples you were in a wrong place, wrong time situation. Neither time should you have even thought about a gun.

Incident 1) Shadowy people walking unannounced into your yard you're not going to have your hand on your weapon or it drawn?

Incident 2) Ended by saying I was sure I wouldn't have needed a weapon but rethink the situation in terms of how having a weapon might have compounded the situation if it had come to light during the responding officers investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by ampinf View Post
    Incident 1) Shadowy people walking unannounced into your yard you're not going to have your hand on your weapon or it drawn?

Incident 2) Ended by saying I was sure I wouldn't have needed a weapon but rethink the situation in terms of how having a weapon might have compounded the situation if it had come to light during the responding officers investigation.
    1. Your flashlight in your situation was your friend, if your gun would have been drawn you could have been shot. You said they were police. Hand on the weapon Maybe, but in your situation as you described it could have cost you your life. Know your target....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I'll start with situation #2 first. Short of avoiding the situation altogether, you did alright.

As for situation #1. Reaching for or drawing because you saw a shadow approaching at night is not what you want to do. It's a good way to get yourself shot by the police, or felony brandishing charges filed, which could cost you your freedom, your right to own a gun and a whole lot of money!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Two things.

As Harryball stated, "Know your target..." To put it a different way, how can you know the proper response until you determine the level of threat.

At 6'4", 340, if someone 5' 7", 160 busted a glass over my head, I would do some soul searching on my H2H tactics.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

Not your yard, eviction going on, cops already involved prior, 9pm? target ID?

Really? You went to the situation to be a hero. The situation didn't come to you. Guarantee being armed would have compounded the situation.
    As I said. Long way to go you have.

The second situation was a terrible error. If you feel like playing the white knight, be a little smarter about it. You were hassling the guy and he got the drop on you. Why did you think it was a good idea to drag him out of the bar where you were not employed? You put your hands on him first, and he reacted.

It also doesn't matter how big you are. If a guy hits you with a pint glass, then it's a bad day. When you're out picking a fight, and someone is ready for combat, size goes out the window. You got lucky.
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    The second situation was a terrible error. If you feel like playing the white knight, be a little smarter about it. You were hassling the guy and he got the drop on you. Why did you think it was a good idea to drag him out of the bar where you were not employed? You put your hands on him first, and he reacted.

It also doesn't matter how big you are. If a guy hits you with a pint glass, then it's a bad day. When you're out picking a fight, and someone is ready for combat, size goes out the window. You got lucky.
    Made the threat once, lifted the glass over his head told me he was going to hit me with it. I made nothing of it. He continued the conversation then made the same threat again and then I removed him. I wasn't out picking a fight, never said that and I'm sorry if what I wrote or the way in which I wrote it implied that. I went to make my friend more comfortable while she was working alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Two things.

As Harryball stated, "Know your target..." To put it a different way, how can you know the proper response until you determine the level of threat.

At 6'4", 340, if someone 5' 7", 160 busted a glass over my head, I would do some soul searching on my H2H tactics.

HAHA yea my h2h has gotten much better over the years. He did catch me with an initial strike, but things like that happen. I can't dodge everything.

Made the threat once, lifted the glass over his head told me he was going to hit me with it. I made nothing of it. He continued the conversation then made the same threat again and then I removed him. I wasn't out picking a fight, never said that and I'm sorry if what I wrote or the way in which I wrote it implied that. I went to make my friend more comfortable while she was working alone.
    So this guy was a little messed up in the head, right? He was sitting there talking to himself, and you asked him, "you look familiar, do I know you?" This is kind of a weird question, honestly. It's either a bad pick up line, or you were fishing for information, and he didn't like it. He obviously shouldn't have threatened you, but why would you want to sit there with a crazy guy? If you would have moved, the situation would not have escalated to the point of violence.

You then tell him to show your ID to the bartender. Why? You don't work there. People don't like being told what to do. I would have told you to screw off. You then decided to remove him from the bar. Once again, why? I know one of the rules from Road House is to take everything outside, but restraining people is risky. He ended up cutting your head wide open, and it could have been worse.

Hey, if you like a little violence in your life, then so be it, but your actions would generally be considered ill-advised.
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Perfect example of Cell phone in hand and dialing 911......Its not your responsibility to play the hero of the day. Now that you carry, you need to make dam well sure of what you are doing when your "out and about"

Your gun should be the last thing you ever go to for defense and avoid troublesome situations as much as humanly possible.

If you are carrying a gun with a permit you are not a cop and need to avoid situations and stay the hell out of them. If you instigate anything you will come out looking the worst in court as an overzealous gun owner.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

In a lot of states even if you have a Concealed handgun permit carrying inside a bar is Illegal,a lot of people have pointed out you put yourself into a situation that could have turned real ugly real quick,if the bartender feels that a customer needs to leave she can call 911,I f you had been armed and things went south to the point you ended up shooting the guy,A prosecutor will make it look like you went down there looking for trouble and instead of calling 911 you escalated a situation and then shot the guy.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links