Standing in line at CVS - Page 2

Standing in line at CVS

This is a discussion on Standing in line at CVS within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Police are going to identify themselves before hand and not let someone be standing behind them before they act (at least any with training). If ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Standing in line at CVS

Police are going to identify themselves before hand and not let someone be standing behind them before they act (at least any with training).

If you are that close to the person you ARE in immediate danger as is the cashier.

Hopefully I would have enough sense to be aware if there was anyone else that could be an accomplice. If there are others that are suspicious, I will make my decision
    based on there location in relation to me. If I don't believe someone has the drop on me, I certainly have the drop on the BG in front of me and take the shot or 3 and
    put my back against something and scan for others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    If you are 5 feet away, the cashier isn't the only one in danger.
    I agree and so my gun comes out.
    Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    you do nothing---its a toy and he takes the money and leaves
    -----------------its real and he takes the money and leaves
    -----------------forget about the money, he's psycho; shoots the cashier and you shoot him.
    or perhaps he fiddles with the gun such that you strongly feel he is going to discharge it--and you shoot him
    either he's DRT or he shoots and misses everyone, wounds or kills someone--you are responsible for his bullet

.....lots more branches but the idea is---it hard to PROVE he was going to (if its real) shoot it and his intended use of it:
    intimidate-display, threaten injury-fire a warning shot or kill with it-this kind of crazy is happening often enough that it needs to be
    taken into account.

---I've got a 642 in my vest pocket, hand on it and pointed at his lower spine--

if he lights off a round so shall i
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    BANG
    I disagree, it should read, "Bang, Bang".
    garyacman likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

At 5 feet I could put one in his temple and stop the encounter by shutting down his computer. If someone in the room has a gun in their face I think I would be compelled to act because I don't want an innocents preventable death on my conscience.
    etinetalmai likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "If he is pointing the gun at the cashier and has his back to you. What direct, immediate threat is presented towards you?"

In FL, he has committed a "forcible felony," presents a deadly threat to anyone in the area (especially me), and I have every legal right to drop him on the spot, no warnings or commands required. If I feel I have a significant advantage, I may give him a chance to drop the gun, but maybe not.

There was a recent report this week in the news where some armed clown entered a business and announced a robbery, and some thoughtful CC'er shot him for his troubles.
    etinetalmai and garyacman like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    At 5 feet I could put one in his temple and stop the encounter by shutting down his computer. If someone in the room has a gun in their face I think I would be compelled to act because I don't want an innocents preventable death on my conscience.
    Every time I think of this situation, the answer in my head has always been the same. I'd have to drop him. I just can't agree with waiting for him to pop one in the cashier or anyone else first before I decide to shoot.
    carverelli likes this.

Try to back to cover and draw. Be a good witness unless he actually points gun at you or acts as if he is gonna shoot the clerk. I definitely agree with potential back up he may have there, and waiting before I immediately showed my cards.
    bds9009 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

At a distance of 5' drawing against the drop (I know he does not have the drop on you but he can turn in your direction very quickly) is possible if you have trained for it.

If his entire attention is on the cashier he may not react to your movements but then again he might.

Are you on his gun side or his off side or directly behind him because it does make a difference in your tactics.

If you have extensive H2H training, at that distance it may be better to react with deadly force in that manner then to access your weapon.

If you have combat knife training it allows for another option at that close of a distance.

The situation is not cut and dry except for the fact that I will do whatever is needed to get myself out of it in as close to one piece as possible and that may include just being a good witness.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    As for me, I'd just slowly move out of the line and pretend to look at some picture frames or something. Now if he turns to watch me with his gun pointing at me - well, now that's a different scenario. Otherwise just mind my own business and wait for one of you fellers to put him away. Then while I'm on my way home you can go downtown and answer questions for the LEO's, and CVS management, when after you shoot him his finger instinctively closes on the trigger and he shoots the clerk in the eye killing same instantly. Then you can make an appointment with the DA for the next day while you begin to put together your own legal defense team. That's my problems with these scenarios. They can and most often in reality have the possibility of more than a good old boy saves the day ending. Maybe instead of a HCP or CCW the states should have just given all of us a LEO badge and set of cuffs and told us to go out and clean up the town.
    dcselby1 and bds9009 like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Sometimes we have to be an asset to society, sometimes we do not. If your going to be an asset, then be one. If not Dont, either way this is a personal decision that needs to made in each one of us.
    First Sgt likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Perhaps a bit off topic

Under what law would you be charged with for the death of someone during a felony? I have always heard that you would be charged with it if you intervened and it went bad. However if someone dies of a heart attack during the commission of a felony, or some of your accomplices gets killed, the surviving members get charged with felony homicide.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Perhaps a bit off topic

Under what law would you be charged with for the death of someone during a felony? I have always heard that you would be charged with it if you intervened and it went bad. However if someone dies of a heart attack during the commission of a felony, or some of your accomplices gets killed, the surviving members get charged with felony homicide.

^^^^^^^^^^^I'm not putting any dog in this fight,^^^^^^^^^

but, I would think it wouldn't take a Philadelphia Lawyer to articulate to the jury that it was the perp who originated the whole scenario, and it was YOU, who acted in good conscious, as most REASONABLE persons would have.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I just curious as to what can go on while some here go through their mental checklist about what if...

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    You don't know if it's an undercover LEO preparing to arrest a person caught pilfering narcotics at the pharmacy.
    Maybe some of the LEO's on here can clarify, but I don't think an undercover cop is gonna wait in line and then when it is his turn pull his gun out and point at the cashiers face to make an arrest. More than likely several uniformed officers would be charged with the task of hauling them in. So this isn't even a consideration for me. If I was the guy behind them, I'd draw, point and say "drop it". If he wheels around......BANG. At 5 ft I am confident in my ability to hit him directly in the face.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links