Standing in line at CVS

This is a discussion on Standing in line at CVS within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not going to do anything until I figure out where I am. Am I behind the assailant, "continuing the flow of the line" or ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Standing in line at CVS

I'm not going to do anything until I figure out where I am. Am I behind the assailant, "continuing the flow of the line" or am I, "at the end of the registers" grabbing a Snickers.

As I see it, one would put me directly behind the assailant and the other would put me off to his side, within his peripheral vision.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    BANG
    Yep, I'd even toss an extra couple of BANGS in there myself.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Know your target and what is behind it. If I'm in a line at close distance I'm not going to be shooting where any over penetration of a skinny guy is going to get the cashier killed while the BG walks.

Then again, I'm not at CVS because of their no guns = no business policy; which is probably why this CVS is getting robbed by toy gun in the first place.

Forcible felony I'm allowed to take action in my state, so legally allowed to; if there is tactically the opportunity to draw index and fire in a manner not harming anyone else, before he can get rounds in me; then the BG is probably not going to be the one that walks home that night, a known risk in his career choice at least as far as 49 states are concerned. In all 50 states it's becoming an increasing risk we face that the money isn't enough and that other more violent crimes accompany armed robberies, such as rape and murder.

Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member
    The perp waited patiently in line then drew his weapon? Doesn't seem like a guy hell-bent on killing - crowed place, waited until his opportunity was there - seems like one that wants to take the money and run.

I'd have my hand at 5:00 and back away - if he starts shooting then so do I. I'm not LEO, and my "point shooting" training is limited. My focus is on survival and protecting the people with me.

Here, my gut reaction is that if I don't pull the trigger, he won't either.

Recall the McDonald's story posted a while back, where a retired police officer ended up in a shoot out with a perp - 12 shots, perp dead, and by some miracle nobody else hit. Not saying what the retired police officer did was wrong by any means - the point is the retired cop had a lifetime of duty training and still 12 shots were exchanged.

I think that anyone here that thinks they can take the guy out with a head shot from 5 feet when adrenaline is pumping through them is fooling themselves - unless you have had a lot a training with stress induced scenarios or been through it a lot of times. Come on people, point shooting at the range every weekend will help you a lot, but don't think it will quell your nerves or introduce enough muscle memory to overcome the excitement of the moment.

It is impossible to know the intent of the assailant. If you wait and he decides to shoot the clerk, you will be too late to do them any good. I do not believe in resting the well being of people on benevolence of criminals

From a position behind the assailant, with the clerk in front, the only reasonably good shooting solution I see is dropping and shooting at an upward angle shot to the base of the skull. I still don't like the positions of everyone and possible bullet path.

I would draw as I take a step forward closing the distance and pistol whip him. That would give the fastest incapacitation without concern for bullet path.
    Old School and Tzadik like this.

Just to bring up a point to the situation. A lot of you are assuming he's there to rob the place. Nobody said anything about money or robbing the place. For all we know, he could be the cashiers crazy ex-boyfriend or ex-husband whose there to kill her. And if he's there to kill her, theres no knowing who else he will kill or harm. My thought behind any situation is that if a gun comes out, so does mine, and it's basically who shoots who first. If you have the guts to pull your gun out and point it in someones face, you better be ready to deal with the consequences which includes bullets coming your way. Just my thought about everything.

I will not stand idly by while an innocent person is in such danger.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Amen brother, a perfect shot may be the only way to stop BGs gun from firing are you ready to tell the family you are responsible

VIP Member
    If we stick to the facts of the scenario, are the members of the forum that say they would draw and shoot do so even though they don't know the weapon is real or fake? One fact - you don't know if the weapon is real or fake.

What if it's the cashier's snotty brother home from college and he's going to squirt her in the face with a squirt gun? What if it's a guy that is returning a cap gun that he bought for his son and it didn't work?

I would have to assess whether there is, in fact, a danger.

How would you accomplish that?
    Tzadik likes this.

VIP Member
    As in my previous post - back away, hand on gun but not drawn, and try to assess the situation in the next one or two seconds. From the facts given, I personally couldn't take the shot, because I don't know if the gun is even real.

Say it's the guy that bought the cheap cap gun and is returning it. If I immediately draw and blow a hole in his temple and explode the other side of his head, what do I say to his 6-year old son that comes running around the corner to find his dad's brains scattered across the checkout lane? "Sorry kid, I wasn't sure it if was a real gun, so I blew your dad away - just in case, y'know?"

Ladies and gents, nothing personal - but I'd have to assess from a defensive posture before I knew whether I should shoot.

(On a side note, I've decided not to return $5 cap guns to CVS if they don't work )

Smile

I agree that you should always assess the situation first, but I can't imagine anyone returning a cap gun like this:

"well you know, this cap gun just didn't work the way I wanted it to! I'd like to return it!"

I would hope you could tell the difference between a cap gun and a real gun. If you have any doubt, it could be the last mistake you make. If someone wants to pull that kind of prank, that's on them.

This kind of story makes my decision easy.
    4 People Killed In Shooting At Haven Drugs Pharmacy In Medford CBS New York

You know, Its because of stories like that, that I carry and would not hesitate to put someone who threatens the life of another down. Im not gonna shoot because he might want to steal a few lousy dollars and I'm trying to fight crime, I'm gonna shoot because the guy might explode like this lunatic did and kill everyone in sight. What a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by etinetalmai View Post
    You know, Its because of stories like that, that I carry and would not hesitate to put someone who threatens the life of another down. Im not gonna shoot because he might want to steal a few lousy dollars and I'm trying to fight crime, I'm gonna shoot because the guy might explode like this lunatic did and kill everyone in sight. What a tragedy.
    This is probably while most state laws say you can use your weapon to stop a felony in progress (armed robbery, rape, etc).

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links