2 B&E thugs found inside ransacking home

This is a discussion on 2 B&E thugs found inside ransacking home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unfortunately, the homeowner was defenseless. Fortunately, he nor his partner were seriously hurt. If you came home to this scenario, what would you all do? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 2 B&E thugs found inside ransacking home

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

2 B&E thugs found inside ransacking home

Unfortunately, the homeowner was defenseless. Fortunately, he nor his partner were seriously hurt.

If you came home to this scenario, what would you all do?

Suspected Burgulars Can't Give Livonia Homeowner the Slip

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    You don't know until it happens and if you've never considered it you may act rashly. Hopefully, 'we' having thought about such things would not enter the home if there's no one there. We all carry cellphones, presumably. But how would one react if they saw this, stayed back/in the car, withdrew across the street, and then the BGs ran out. There would be a ******* temptation to draw down and order them to "drop the TV and hit the dirt and spread 'em."

In some cases 'detaining' a B&E suspect has worked out. In other cases, I'd imagine, it has not. (referring to those who are armed citizens trying to protect property not by shooting but by trying to stop).

Simple truth is you don't know until (hopefully never) it happens to you. Every situation is different. In a lot of cases the perps are teens. HI's are one thing we just hope never happens to us. No pat answer, imo. We all know the 'best thing' is to call it in and back off and do nothing.

$.02

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG,call 911
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Using the specifics of what i just read in the news account, these guys are out of house already---you go after them and shoot them, odds are you have committed a crime yourself--a lot depends on your locale and prosecutorial interpretation. If you are in the house at time of breakin--at least in SC with Castle Doctrine--have at it--shoot them, kill them--the prosecutors will thank you--less work for them on court cases. If the scenario in this case happened at night (AT NIGHT ONLY) there is a really interesting regulation/law on the books in SC---as you confronted them and told them to stay with hands in air (citizen's arrest) and they flee, you can stop their evasion of your citizen's arrest by any means necessary including their death.

VIP Member
    Going into the house unarmed wasn't a smart move. Luckily for him the BG's just fled the scene. If they had decide to take out any witnesses the story would of had a different ending.
    Don't do anything to alert the BG's, call 911 and let the police handle it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hmmm, front door open - clear leather and clear house, because I am always armed coming into or leaving my house.

Any action from bad guys that puts me or mine in imminent danger = two less bad guys that my tax dollars have to support.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG,call 911
    You didn't allow for the reload drill in that scenario.

Maybe BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG, DROP MAG, INSERT MAG BANG BANG BANG, call 911, get a cool beverage ready for the responding officers and paramedics.
    garyacman likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I don't think I would clear the house. I would call the authorities and let them do it while I used my cell phone to coordinate and update the boys who were enroute to the call via dispatch.

I did clear my house one time, and after all was said and done, it wasn't worth the drama, or the possibility of what could have happened.

Stay clear, observe, be a good witness, and let the boys in blue who have adequate resources do their job.
    Stubborn and Old School like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    Hmmm, front door open - clear leather and clear house, because I am always armed coming into or leaving my house.

Any action from bad guys that puts me or mine in imminent danger = two less bad guys that my tax dollars have to support.
    By going into a situation that you know is potentially deadly, is placing yourself and loved one into a life threatening situation. Kinda defeats the purpose of staying safe doesn't it?
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    By going into a situation that you know is potentially deadly, is placing yourself and loved one into a life threatening situation. Kinda defeats the purpose of staying safe doesn't it?
    Agreed. Nothing in my house is worth my or my wife's life. Absolutely nothing. Clear a house solo? Why? I'm not trained to do it, and I don't have the resources to do it myself even if I had the training.

Get back, call the cops, and let them clear your house.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I don't think I would clear the house. I would call the authorities and let them do it while I used my cell phone to coordinate and update the boys who were enroute to the call via dispatch.

I did clear my house one time, and after all was said and done, it wasn't worth the drama, or the possibility of what could have happened.

Stay clear, observe, be a good witness, and let the boys in blue who have adequate resources do their job.
    I agree 100% "Gman" I don't consider myself a coward, but I'm no professional either. IMO clearing a house IS the most inherently dangerous thing you can do, especially alone. I've tried this with some friends, using "airsoft" .. the person clearing almost always loses.
    Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know about you, but where I live, the police MAY show up in half an hour, if I'm lucky. I see your point, however. Maybe clearing the house isn't the best idea, but I'm at least clearing leather.

Strange car in my driveway.
    1. Park to block it in.
    2. See the house door open, draw weapon.
    3. Return to car, call 911, give details of my vehicle, myself, and tell dispatcher I am armed.
    4. Wait.

LEO can clear the house.
    My house and contents are insured, my vehicle is insured.

They attempt to leave with their vehicle, they will have to ram my car. There might be justifiable defense there, but even if not, their ricer ain't gonna move my truck, so I don't have to bring my weapon to bear.

<edit to add>
    I know, it wasn't a ricer. But they were probably stupid enough to leave the keys in it... I'd take them.

Out here in rural Iowa, it might be a half hour wait, as well. I can agree with drawing a weapon... but I don't feel the need to clear the house.

Even if they get away, you've got a plate number, don't you?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Using the specifics of what i just read in the news account, these guys are out of house already---you go after them and shoot them, odds are you have committed a crime yourself--a lot depends on your locale and prosecutorial interpretation. If you are in the house at time of breakin--at least in SC with Castle Doctrine--have at it--shoot them, kill them--the prosecutors will thank you--less work for them on court cases. If the scenario in this case happened at night (AT NIGHT ONLY) there is a really interesting regulation/law on the books in SC---as you confronted them and told them to stay with hands in air (citizen's arrest) and they flee, you can stop their evasion of your citizen's arrest by any means necessary including their death.
    Please cite the SC regulation/law of which you are referring to. I'd like to read it/write it down for my own benefit. Thanks.

As to the OP....I would NOT attempt to clear the house. I am NOT trained to do that. Keep back, call 911, prepare to follow if necessary, allow the men in blue to do their job. If threatened by the burglars, I would be prepared to defend myself and my loved ones. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Stay out of the house, call 911.. The homeowner was lucky
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links