Shooting the ammo you carry

This is a discussion on Shooting the ammo you carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine starts his range sessions with the cheap stuff and finishes with whatever he was carrying since the last time he was ...

View Poll Results: Do you shoot the ammo you carry?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every time I shoot at the range.

32 14.88%
  • Occasionally.

129 60.00%
  • Rarely.

45 20.93%
  • Never.

9 4.19%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Shooting the ammo you carry

A friend of mine starts his range sessions with the cheap stuff and finishes with whatever he was carrying since the last time he was at the range.

2. Remove Ads

One mag at the END of every range session in my G19. I want to end my session with the same thing I may need the next time the weapon is discharged. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have shot enough to make sure it feeds. I do not like shooting +P and +P+ through my small carry guns. It not only beats up the gun it beats up me.

About once a year I'll run a box of my carry ammo to ensure my 1911's still like it. I might as well make it worth my while, so I do it in the summer. I'll take my excess watermelon's, cantaloupe, chicken eggs, tomatoes, etc. Line them all up at attention, like good little Democratic Liberals. Add some vinegar and oil, and it turns into a nice liberal garden salad.

I use a comparable FMJ for practice versus what I carry in my weapon.

Example: Duty carry Federal HST 180 grain
    practice Blazer CCI 180 grain

according to my department they are close match.

I voted occasionally. One more perk from carrying a revolver. My revolvers launch any manufactures .38/.357 caliber round flawlessly.
    glockman10mm and Mark IL NM like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I shot one full mag of each of my carry ammo to verify function through each mag, and haven't shot it again in the last year. At double the price it's hard to justify but i'll be buying some more shortly and giving it a go with another box or two of it.

I don't shoot carry ammo exclusively, but I'll run a 20 rd box of Gold Dots through each gun on every range visit. My life's worth enough to me to make sure that what I'm depending on to save it will function like I want when I need it to.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

cmb
    Every time I go to the range and shoot one of my carry guns I shoot the ammo which is in it... for several guns that is ball ammo but for some it means I shoot a cylinder or a magazine...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

I shoot just enough for familiarization. It's just too darned expensive to practice with.

I used to shoot it all the time when I carried 115 grain FMJ's. Now I'm loaded w, 147 grain JHPs. I ran a couple magazines thru, but they are too expensive to practice with on a regular basis.
    If your carry ammo acts that different than your practice ammo, you need to make some adjustments to your carry ammo.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Clint Smith recommends shooting about 500-600 rounds of practice ammo and 100-200 rounds of your carry ammo BEFORE you take it to the street. Good enough for me. Funny enough, in my 1911, my carry rounds have never had a FTF or FTE (stovepipe), while my practice rounds do. Makes me feel good.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    occasionally...

Just to prove function. At around $1.50 a pop it is a pricey practice. In the current economical conditions I cannot afford to do it often. Besides, at civilian self defense ranges what's a 1/4 to 1/2 inch (if that) anyway?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Funny enough, in my 1911, my carry rounds have never had a FTF or FTE (stovepipe), while my practice rounds do. Makes me feel good.
    I think I have close to 3K "premium SD/HD rounds" through my pistols - like you, I have had absolutely no FTFire/Feed or FTE with any of them (excepting what seemed to be a unique issue of my particular SR9c with the Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P DPX). My FTF(ire) rate on even range-fodder WWB 9x19 is currently well below 1%, but nonetheless, it does make me feel better that even through the thousands of SD/HD ammo I've gone through, there hasn't been a single failure.

I rotate the chamber round and the top round in the mag whenever I reload from cleaning, demonstrating, etc. I'll occasionally shoot those two rounds when the look a little abused. FYI: I've been told chambering the same round repeatedly will set the bullet back but have measured several times and don't see it happening.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links