Shooting the ammo you carry - Page 4

Shooting the ammo you carry

This is a discussion on Shooting the ammo you carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; twice a year I refresh my carry ammo and "let em fly" seems I'm not the only one here who does that...

View Poll Results: Do you shoot the ammo you carry?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every time I shoot at the range.

32 14.88%
  • Occasionally.

129 60.00%
  • Rarely.

45 20.93%
  • Never.

9 4.19%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Shooting the ammo you carry

twice a year I refresh my carry ammo and "let em fly" seems I'm not the only one here who does that
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

Cant afford the good brand hollow points to train with. Shot them enough to know my gun liked them and that I could handle the (small) difference in feel.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    I rotate the chamber round and the top round in the mag whenever I reload from cleaning, demonstrating, etc. I'll occasionally shoot those two rounds when the look a little abused. FYI: I've been told chambering the same round repeatedly will set the bullet back but have measured several times and don't see it happening.
    WOW, 30 post before someone mentioned bullet set back! I'll expand on this a little in case someone else hasn't already.
    To the OP and others, as I understand it, bullet setback occurs when you load/unload the bullets in your magazine and then cycle the top bullet in the magazine into the chamber. The act of slamming the slide home can cause the bullet to be pushed backwards into the casing. This usually takes several or many chamberings. The problem with setback is that it can cause excessive pressure in the chamber and may damage the gun and hurt the shooter.

Some people mark the chambered round and shoot it at the next range session so that it never gets chambered more than one or two times. Others mark the round when its chambered then make sure to not place that round at the top of the magazine when they reload the mag after a practice session.

Some people actually make a practice of using calipers to measure the bullet length to verify there is not excessive setback.

All this is just me repeating what I have learned here. I am not a ballistics expert, just passing on information I have heard.

VIP Member
    I carry Remington Golden Sabres which a professional loader makes up for me at a rate of $22/50, and I buy in 300 round lots. This, for me seems affordable. I fire the magazine currently in my pistol each time I shoot and then switch to the Winchester whites for the remainder of the shooting session. One of my spare mags is then locked and loaded until the next shooting session. That way, my ammo never gets old. I did the TAP/PD factory round deal for awhile, but found it to be too expensive and more trouble than it's worth. I never re-chamber the same round after I clear my pistol, so set-back and other malformations do not occur.

It's a reliability thing and a POA/POI thing.

Reliability because you don't know how your gun will like that particular lot of that kind of ammo - so you test it sufficiently, and carry it with that lot of ammo. It's recomended to buy 200 rounds for testing and about 1,000 rounds or more of defensive ammo for your stockpile so you will not likely run low on defensive ammo that you know works in YOUR gun.

You gun may not like that ammo, but if all you shoot is WWB and get flawless performance, you won't know till you get a FTF/FTE/Doublefeed with the 'better stuff'.

POA/POI...your 115 grain WWB ball will shoot differently than a 147 grain+p round will. You may have differetn points of aim and impact at longer ranges with different ammo.

If all you care about is an arms length gun grapple, who cares...but if you might have to engage at greater distance or shoot a small, fleeting target like a knee sticking out from cover or a foot from under a car...You want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Something to consider is the abuse the ammo you carry inflict on the weapon you use it in. Many light framed carry guns were never meant to be fired constantly with full house loads. I remember in the 70's a gun maker warning people not to use the hot 158 gr 357 loads for target practice as the newer alloy framed guns would not stand up to them under constant use.

Michael
    I believe this was what Smith and Wesson used to warn people about,and not just with the alloy framed weapons. They actually made steel revolvers that could not handle the +p rounds or .357 rounds (depending on which revolver it was), so they recomended shooting regular .38 special rounds for practice and carrying +p 38 special or .357 (again, depending on which revolver). They still warn about certain bullet weights and other limitations for the 340PD because the bullets in the cylinder (the ones not fired yet) can come unseated from the case during firing of the weapon and lock up the cylinder. I owned one and have seen this happen, and thats why I don't have one anymore. It was a great carry gun otherwise, but once I lose faith in a gun, I will move on to another one.

But to answer the OPs post, I shoot my carry ammo once every 6 months to make room for fresher carry ammo. I do shoot about 100 rounds of carry ammo initially to make sure it will work in my carry gun, but after that, I don't think it's worth it to shoot up all the good stuff.

Distinguished Member
    I wish I could say occasionaly but it is probably more like rarely. I do, however, shoot my carry guns quite often, and that is what matters more than strictly type of ammo.

Now, if I owned an ammo factory, I would be liberalama with it.

I carry Glaser Safety Slugs so no...I can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    I carry Glaser Safety Slugs so no...I can't afford it.
    May I ask what those are? I never heard of them. Also, what gun(s) do you carry?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I put 60 rounds of SD ammo through my 9 every 6 months to keep sharp. I call it my "66" rule.

I always end my range session by firing a mag (or cylinder) with carry rounds. First, because I want to stay familiar with the gun (and my) performance with the load; and second, I like to rid my auto of rounds that have been cycled to eliminate the chance of bullet setback as already mentioned.

I will shoot a mag or so of my carry rounds to verify it fits the gun, but I dont think at short, self defense ranges, trajectory and all that business is going to play a major role in where the bullet hits(unless you're sniper training). At hand to hand out to 7yds Ive not noticed any difference in POI and Ive mixed ammo in mags just to experiment with that. For practice I just get whats cheap.

They no longer make Black Talons.

Shoot mostly reloaded FMJ at the range.

I see this kind of post often

Every firearm I ever intend to use for SD/HD will go through the following procedure:

0-150 rounds: doesn't exist as anything but a range gun to me
    150-200 rounds: comfortable enough with reliability to keep in the nightstand alongside standard HD firearm as a backup if SHTF
    300 flawless rounds: comfortable enough with reliability to carry

Now my question is It has a major jam on 299 Then what we start over again or do we carry. The only round I ever count on and that about 99% is the one in the chamber any after that a plus. I have found in my 40 + years of handguns That if a pistol doesn't like a round. It shows it most of time in less than 50 rounds. Just my 02 Since Corbon has gor so expensive I onlt shoot mine up about once a year now.

I have stored ammo over 20 years and it fired just fine I have some WWll ammo at present It still shoot fine I would guess has a few FPS less but still works.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links