Shooting the ammo you carry - Page 5

Shooting the ammo you carry

This is a discussion on Shooting the ammo you carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Deerbnb twice a year I refresh my carry ammo and "let em fly" seems I'm not the only one here who does ...

View Poll Results: Do you shoot the ammo you carry?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every time I shoot at the range.

32 14.88%
  • Occasionally.

129 60.00%
  • Rarely.

45 20.93%
  • Never.

9 4.19%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Shooting the ammo you carry

Quote Originally Posted by Deerbnb View Post
    twice a year I refresh my carry ammo and "let em fly" seems I'm not the only one here who does that
    This. I'll shoot roughly 100 SD rounds if the gun is new or I'm changing the ammo I carry it with.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I don't get to the rage nearly enough. I shoot whatever I have on hand. The indoor range I go to in the winter only allows lead nosed bullets so my carry ammo is not an option, though I will carry SWC to the range in the wheel guns. Mostly FMJ and yes, I carry FMJ's in my .380 and 9MM. The revolvers I don't worry about, carry Hydroshocks in those and the 45 gets FMJ's though I do have some Critical Defense ammo I want to try first. I'll shoot a box to see if they feed corretly. FMJ I know doesn't expand like a JHP but silly me, I still wouldn't want to get hit by one. I've seen what they do to pumpkins.

Jim

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When I buy carry ammo, I get two boxes--one to see if it functions well in my gun(s), and the second for duty service. It appears that my Glock and 3 Gen 4566 don't care what name brand is loaded; they eat up anything and everything. I currently used Gold Dots and PDX1 in 230 grains.

99% of what I use at the range is my reloads. I haven't noticed any significant difference in POI when switching between carry and reloaded ammo.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Whenever I go to the range I always shoot the SD ammo that is actually in the gun.
    If the weapon fires correctly till the last round of that magazine (and sometimes the extra one I carry) then I know that the weapon was always ready and nothing done to it in the time since the last visit had interfered with it staying operational.
    OK so one caveat, if i am at the range wek after week i will not. But if it has been a month + I do.

Sled

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links