Standing in line at the bank - Page 2

Standing in line at the bank

This is a discussion on Standing in line at the bank within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bill MO My understanding on banks in MO unless they are Federal owned you can carry as long as the bank doesn't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Standing in line at the bank

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    My understanding on banks in MO unless they are Federal owned you can carry as long as the bank doesn't post them.
    there are no federally owned banks for consumers, the only banks the federal government owns are the federal reserve banks and they don't usually deal with the general public, you'd only use them for directly buying tbills or tbonds and I don't suspect that too many people on here are in that market

….catch him on his way out the door and take half.

No, I wouldn't do that. I'd stay low and make myself as small of a target as possible. If he's cool and collected, not waving his gun around, etc., I'll probably just stay down and wait it out. If he's acting psychotic, waving the gun around with his finger on the trigger, hitting people, pointing his firearm at people and other threatening gestures, chances are good I'll just react and do what I do with the hope that I'm the one that comes out on top.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Carry inside of banks is prohibited by law in NC, which greatly limits my choices to take cover if possible and get the hell out of there. Makes you really wonder what the thinking, or lack thereof behind some of these laws. The must think that someone who bothers to get a CC license is going to rob the place. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Carry inside of banks is prohibited by law in NC, which greatly limits my choices to take cover if possible and get the hell out of there. Makes you really wonder what the thinking, or lack thereof behind some of these laws. The must think that someone who bothers to get a CC license is going to rob the place. Idiots.
    Only concealed carry is prohibited. In this case open carry could have made a difference.

The bank does not care enough about their employees to allow them to protect themselves and in most cases not enough to furnish any more protection than a camera.

Therefore, why should you do anything.

Run out the door if you can, go under the desk if you can't.

Why should protect the bank when they don't protect themselves?

VIP Member
    I would wish that I would have made picking up my prescription at the CVS instead of making a deposit as my first errand of the morning...

Whatever I might do would not be to protect the bank or its money. Because the bank might choose not to protect its employees does not affect what I might do. I am not the bank, I am another human being and if it falls within my ability, without jeopardizing those close to me, I will attempt to prevent the loss of an innocent life. Call me stupid, Batman, etc.....I Don't Care.
    oakchas, Bill MO, Tzadik and 2 others like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

And just for clarification..

BG is at 12:00, you are at 4:00. If looking straight ahead at the teller, unless you are some sort of lizard, or bird, you cannot see peripherally to 4:00, so he can't either.

Also, as stated in the OP, you recognize this robber as the guy that shot the teller in the news story. At least, he fits the description to a T, and even the nickel plated revolver looks to be the same one. Which you happen see him pull out of his pocket.

I'm just curious if this changes anything from the CVS scenario...
    1. you can presume the gun is real.
    2. this is probably the same guy.
    3. there is a good likelihood he may shoot this teller as he did the one in the story.
    4. there is no ambiguity as to what he is doing, he is robbing the bank, no back story.

I like Guantes' crouch and shoot upwards & calling the BG out in hopes he turns.

I too, would not be protecting the bank, or its/my money, I don't want to see an innocent get killed if I have the chance to stop it. BG, if he turns, has now put me in danger, and I am not where he expects me to be...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Like Guantes, if I was to do something here it would not be to protect to bank's money, but life. Also like his way of going low to make the shot. To many unknowns as to where other people are, taking the shot low and shooting high makes sense, also the calling out to turn the BG away from the clerk.

Good advice Guantes
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

what if you were at 5 or 6 o'clock. would shooting him in the back be unjustified or prosecutable?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Based on the circumstances given I would say it would be justified. The justification remains regardless of the angle or direction that the assailant is shot. Prosecution would ultimately rest with a DA or GJ.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I would try to take one of my nerve pills that I picked up after the CVS incident, and tell myself that this was really turning into a bad day.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I would try to take one of my nerve pills that I picked up after the CVS incident, and tell myself that this was really turning into a bad day.
    So, now you're addicted to them and you had to turn over your permit... it really is a bad day...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I read the OP too quickly.

I missed the statement that the BG had shot a previous teller.

In that case, yes I would shoot him anyway I could, back front sideways, whatever.

It is well known that violent criminals tend to escalate their violence as their crime wave continues, so there would be a good chance that he would shoot the teller and maybe shoot a customer or two as well.

While taking a knee for low cover to facilitate an upward shot trajectory, you might as well take a head shot to shut the BG down immediately after you call his attention away from the teller. Once you see the BG take his gun off the teller, fire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links