Standing in line at the bank - Page 3

Standing in line at the bank

This is a discussion on Standing in line at the bank within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At ten feet, Affirmative....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Standing in line at the bank

At ten feet, Affirmative.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Bang, LIKE 14 TIMES.... Only because my other mag is in the car.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can NOT be taken away unless it is surrendered.

Shooting a clerk at a CVS is one thing. It is common knowledge to even the lowliest BG, that banks train their employees to comply 100% and hand over the money.

Other than Hollywood productions and the one incident in CA, I have not heard of any of the thousands of bank robberies since the CA incident where the LEOs arrived and it turned into a hostage crisis where violence was inevitable.

I can only recall one incident where there was any violence applied to a person, and it was a pistol whipin'.

Having said that, It's not my problem until it becomes my problem. I conveniently look into my wallet, say "Oh, Gal darnit" and walk out the door, call 911. If it unfolds before I can get out, get down like everyone else with attention to POA, and ability to draw my weapon discretely and quickly, innocents behind a potential target, and hope this does not turn into a sheep herding to the back room or worse.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

I can only recall one incident where there was any violence applied to a person, and it was a pistol whipin'.

Now you know of one where a teller was shot... see link in OP.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

ITW
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    If he wasn't taking note of me and there was an easy way out, I'm gone. I'll be outside calling 911 and being a good witness. if he makes me part of the action then I have no choice, game on
    +1.

Here's my take.

Alot of assumptions being made in this scenario.

I'm not going to play cop or a caped crusader or something. The law does not entitle me to do that. Not to mention the fact that bank tellers are trained at how to handle such a situation.

It's very possible you miss under stress, you or he hit the teller or other innocent, misread the situation or turn the situation into something it wouldn't have been otherwise.

This is sort of why I maintain the following mindset;

As a citizen, the best crime fighting tool isn't my gun. That's a personal defense weapon. The best crime fighting tool I also wear on my belt. It's a cell phone and the keys 911.

But then for every rule their are common sense exceptions based upon the circumstances.

I choose not to be a good witness to a murder...

This guy you recognize from the video on the news as the same man who shot another teller, you have angle on him, short range, and the time to take a well aimed shot (he's not probably gonna shoot this one until she doles out the cash).

For me this is the exception to the rule... I'm stopping this guy... if I possibly can. I could not live with myself not having done so with such knowledge of the BG, his history, and my ability.

Ya know, even if it cost me my home, my freedom, and all my stuff, I could not just be a good witness in this case.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

This guy you recognize from the video on the news as the same man who shot another teller, you have angle on him, short range, and the time to take a well aimed shot (he's not probably gonna shoot this one until she doles out the cash).

For me this is the exception to the rule... I'm stopping this guy... if I possibly can. I could not live with myself not having done so with such knowledge of the BG, his history, and my ability.

Ya know, even if it cost me my home, my freedom, and all my stuff, I could not just be a good witness in this case.
    what are protecting? money? it is extremely rare for a bank robber to ever shoot a teller, repeat after me, I am not a cop, I am not a superhero, I am just a guy who has a concealed weapons permit, and my gun should only be used to protect me or another's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Apvbguy
    ......my gun should only be used to protect me or another's life.
    I believe that, that is Oakchas intent in his action, which he explained.
    oakchas likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

In this case, I agree...
    oakchas likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

From spending most all of my adult life wearing a uniform that shouts "shoot here" my situational awareness goes on high alert when I am in and around certain places and a bank is definately one of them ( so are convience stores, drug stores, ATM's, restaurants, oh hell everywhere when I am out in public.

I read the papers, watch the news and go on the defensive carry forum and violence seems to be just about everywhere.

Now a days I wear tourist shirts and bermuda shorts instead of navy blue polyester so the "shoot here" sign is not as obvious.

When I am approching an entrance I notice all who are entering or exiting. When I enter I try to look around at all who are inside including employees.

I hope all I see are relaxed smiling faces and folks going about their business.

When I am in a line I stand sideways and watch the entrance and other customers.

Most people are in condition white.

I am in condition yellow.

I smile, I acknowledge others but I am aware of my surroundings.

I am the gray man. The gray hair and gotee enforce that.

If something happens and I can let the BG or BG's get outside that is my first choice.

If this is not the case then as the saying goes "it is what it is" and as Guantes signature says "I do what I do".

OS
    Guantes and oakchas like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    what are protecting? money? it is extremely rare for a bank robber to ever shoot a teller, repeat after me, I am not a cop, I am not a superhero, I am just a guy who has a concealed weapons permit, and my gun should only be used to protect me or another's life.
    I am not a cop, I am not a superhero, I'm just a human being with a PCW (IA) and I recognize the robber from the previous robbery's video which is playing all over the local news stations, and the nickle plated revolver, and the same hoodie, and he's at the teller window. I saw the gun come out, he shot before... I am NOT just protecting paper money... This guy SHOT THE LAST TELLER... Generally speaking, violent activity increases once violence starts... This guy is dead. I have every reason, as any reasonable person would, to KNOW this is the same guy... I AM protecting the life of another...

In the end, I have to live with my decision... whether I was mistaken or not... and if by some unfortunate turn of events I end up incarcerated, or even executed, I will KNOW that I did the right thing...

And Usually I am the guy who says be a good witness... and I agree, most times a robbery causes no physical injury... But in this case, as the OP was written, I am putting everything on the line that this is the guy that shot last time, he's VERY LIKELY TO DO IT AGAIN.

'Nuf said.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

As the husband of a teller, I would hope the armed citizen in the scenario would meet this show of deadly force with a swift shot to the potential murderer's computer (brain). While of course following the fourth rule of gun safety; know your target and what is beyond it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links