Hurricane Irene-possible lawlessness on the East coast metro areas?

This is a discussion on Hurricane Irene-possible lawlessness on the East coast metro areas? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is anyone else concerned about possible breakdown in rule of law in certain metro areas due to power outages and other mayhem that Irene will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Hurricane Irene-possible lawlessness on the East coast metro areas?

Hurricane Irene-possible lawlessness on the East coast metro areas?

Is anyone else concerned about possible breakdown in rule of law in certain metro areas due to power outages and other mayhem that Irene will likely cause in the next few days?

If Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath of looting, robberies, murders, etc. that took place in New Orleans is any indication of what could occur, I definitely have concerns. I hope and pray the east coast metro areas fare better.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

2. Remove Ads

Guess I'm just skeptical. Irene is just the first major storm of the season to hit the coast, and I think it's a slow news week so our friends in the electronic news media are doing what they do best - hyperbolize.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a New Englandah who knows to keep an eye on the weathah, but Irene so far doesn't strike me as a Donna or Andrew, much less a Katrina.
    Magnum likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by sliponby View Post
    Is anyone else concerned about possible breakdown in rule of law in certain metro areas due to power outages and other mayhem that Irene will likely cause in the next few days?

If Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath of looting, robberies, murders, etc. that took place in New Orleans is any indication of what could occur, I definitely have concerns. I hope and pray the east coast metro areas fare better.
    lawlessness also has broken out in FLA after andrew hit and after other hurricanes. if you are able to ride out the storm at home, be ready for anything that may happen
    First Sgt and Secret Spuk like this.

Let me put it this way. I don't believe they will all be as poised as they Japanesse.

Don't get me wrong there will also be incredible acts of strength & courage.

Another one of my favorite versus in the Bible. Be still, and know that I am God.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Guess I'm just skeptical. Irene is just the first major storm of the season to hit the coast, and I think it's a slow news week so our friends in the electronic news media are doing what they do best - hyperbolize.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a New Englandah who knows to keep an eye on the weathah, but Irene so far doesn't strike me as a Donna or Andrew, much less a Katrina.
    I hope you are right

After the three major hurricanes hit Florida in 2004, the only lawless thing was the price of gas. With so many carrying in Florida, for the most part everyone played nice. But we are used to hurricanes here.....the New Yuckers are already freaking out. 120 MPH sustained winds that are expected in New York are serious stuff not to be taken lightly.

If you've ever tried to stand up with CONSTANT winds hitting your face at 120mph, you know what I'm saying.

Everyone on the east coast in the path of Irene, pay attention to your emergency management officials. When they say " Get out of Dodge, hitch up the ponies and head west.....just ask the people of Galveston, Texas a couple of years ago that tried to ride it out. Whoops.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Where i sit in florida(NE), i see just another rainy day.

Not worried at all. Just prepared.

I would be much more worried about breaking glass from those skyscrapers,

As to lawlessness, events like this bring out the best and the worse in people.

Maybe this will open the eyes of some of those left leaning anti 2A folks as they may find themselves in real need of protection.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Wait for the 'confiscation ' police afterwards. Hope you don't have any New Orleans reactions by the Police, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

We're making sure that we put as much merchandise that will fit in our safes in there at close Friday.
    Looting is always a possibility, but we'll try to limit our loses best we can. I doubt anybody will be
    camping out at the store to gaurd it, but I will check up on it if the roads are accessible afterwards.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Wait for the 'confiscation ' police afterwards. Hope you don't have any New Orleans reactions by the Police, etc.
    Not a problem here in VA. We have a 2A friendly Governor.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Be mindful, when a state of emergency is declared, your firearms are now outlawed......... What a doofus law.

WRT New Orleans and Katrina, I think the 'element' that got so much news-time isn't as prevelent in the outer banks as it is in the Big Easy. Still, once all the 'established' infastructure is gone, the lights are off, and the 7-11's actually close, people will change. Stock up your BOB's and find a Motel-6 or friend/family place to stay and wait it out.

Ya'll in the path of this thing gas up and bail if your able......and throw a hurricane party while you wait. You'll have plenty enough work and worry after the clean-up begins.

Hang tough and BE SAFE. GOOD LUCK!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    ....just ask the people of Galveston, Texas a couple of years ago that tried to ride it out. Whoops.
    I would suggest asking the folks from the Bolivar Peninsula. That is, if you can find them. Unfortunately about two hundred of them were never found.

As far as lawlessness goes I would expect that law enforcement overtime budgets are to going to be wiped out. National Guard units will be activated and deployed. Expect dusk to dawn curfews for a couple of days. I would not expect anything like Katrina for the simple reason that most of the East coast cities are above sea level. Any flooding is going to be short term. You are not going to see as many people displaced long term as you did with Katrina.

I think the biggest problems will be people getting impatient sitting in line for food and ice at the FEMA distribution points. I also expect to hear a lot more whining about why things are taking so long.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

GM
    No hurricane in Florida, only some heavy rains. But it always rains heavily in Florida anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

After Katrina the NRA helped pass a Federal legislation that prohibits the confiscation of lawfully possessed firearms by officials during emergencies; "S. 2599/H.R. 5013: Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006".

NRA-ILA :: S. 2599/H.R. 5013: Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006

Read The Bill: H.R. 5013 [109th] - GovTrack.us
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links