critique please

This is a discussion on critique please within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so last night a buddy and I are out looking for a couple of repo's (unfortunately we struck out). and on the way home we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: critique please

critique please

so last night a buddy and I are out looking for a couple of repo's (unfortunately we struck out). and on the way home we stop at a gas station for a bathroom/smoke break (for him). we pull into the parking lot and a fight had just got over. there is one guy laying on the ground apparently unconscious or close to it and about a half dozen or so other guys running both back to their car and away from the scene. I walked over to the guy on the ground while his friends were trying to pick him up and get out of there. I asked if they need an ambulance and they say "no man, no 5-0, no cops" at that point a couple of the remaining attackers are still around and being I'm carrying and don't know what happened (nor do I have any dog in that fight)so I just walk inside the gas station where the attendants are on the phone with PD.

I feel like I failed miserably, my buddy is a former EMT and says that guy needed medical attention and we let his buddies take him out of there. after discussing it today we both agree that we should've made them leave their unconscious friend so the ambulance could check him out.

thoughts anyone? I really feel like I did the wrong thing there, that guy was HURT and I walked away.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

2. Remove Ads

#1 He chose his friends and thereby those who would care for him if injured while in their company.

#2 How would you go about "making" them leave their friend?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I wouldn't feel bad about it. Like Guantes said, he chose his friends. And by "friends," I mean the guys that cared more about being in trouble with the cops than they did about their friend's welfare.
    oneshot likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Do you know that any of the friends may have medical training? Stranger things have been known to happen. Maybe they just did a scoop and run to the hospital.

VIP Member
    Let's see - you asked if he needed help and were told to bug off. As you did not have a dog in the hunt, sounds like you did the only reasonable thing.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sometimes it's hard not to be a "good samaritan". You tried. I agree with the other posts. Poor choice of friends and misplaced priorities...
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

did okay man, dont beat yourself up..... did the best you could do just by asking. if his group has the mentality of "no cops.. no 5-0" than surely the hurt guy has the same mentality. His "friends" or group that share similar feelings on the matter than him, shared their feelings on the matter.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Senior Moderator
    You did far more than a lot of people would do. Many would just look the other way and run. They are big boys and capable of assessing the damages and whether or not medical attention was needed. You asked, they denied. No one is forced into medical treatment (granted, if you are unconscious paramedics and doctors will assume you WANT medical treatment) but as stated perhaps someone should choose better companions if they expect medical treatment after getting out of a fight.

Take comfort in the fact that you actually offered aid. If he seriously needs medical attention it will become apparent soon enough (i.e. he fails to wake up, he passes out again or starts to have other neurological symptoms or signs of concussion, broken bones, etc).

First off, you don't know any of the players, or who started what. You came in at the end of the event. No responsibility, or duty on your part to get involved whatsoever.

I believe you did your due diligence when you asked if the apparent loser of the conflict needed medical attention. They declined. End report.

Hopefully the gas station security cameras function, and someone took down license plate numbers and vehicle descriptions. The clerk was already doing what needed to be done.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

As you stated..."No dog in this fight..."
    Calling 911 and leaving it alone was all you could do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    #1 He chose his friends and thereby those who would care for him if injured while in their company.

#2 How would you go about "making" them leave their friend?
    Your common sense is tier 1 in my book.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    ...."no man, no 5-0, no cops" .......
    Sounds like a gang initiation. Good thing you stayed out of it.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Separate comment. It amazes me how many of my fellow forum members seem to live in areas that rival Bagdhad for violence and incidents that I can only dream about. Maybe I am lucky, maybe I have been privileged to live in relatively upper income areas but in 69 years I have never experienced anything that even remotely resembles the stories I read about on this forum. Wish all of you well and, as others have said in this thread, you acted appropriately.

thanks all, it just felt wrong to see someone laying there and not doing anything to help them. If I could have delayed their leaving for just a few more min the local pd would've been there. but on the other hand (like everyone's been saying), its not really my problem (as cold as that sounds)
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Cops are on the way,let them figure it out. That`s they`re job. I would leave period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links