Helping Out Border Patrol?

This is a discussion on Helping Out Border Patrol? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, I'm not talking about patrolling the border like the Minutemen. lol Last night I had to get some bags of ice (my fridge went ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping Out Border Patrol?

Helping Out Border Patrol?

No, I'm not talking about patrolling the border like the Minutemen. lol Last night I had to get some bags of ice (my fridge went out last night, getting a new one), so I went to Circle K, the only place open at midnight. When I talked with the clerk (who also knows who I work for) she told me that there was an "incident" tonight in the parking lot just north of the store.

A couple hours before I showed up a Spanish-speaking-only juvenile male (I'm guessing about 16-17yo) came into the Circle K and spoke with the (then on duty) clerk to see if she would help him make a phone call. Now this kid was later on found to be an UnDocumented Alien (UDA). An off-duty Border Patrol agent was on his way to work (in uniform) and stopped by the Circle K to pick up some munchies. (Note: We all do this because it's the only 24/7 place we have in this town.)

The Border Patrol agent saw the clerk outside helping this guy with his phone call and he told her that he would help him make the phone call and she can go back inside because she's working by herself and shouldn't be outside. The next thing that the clerk knew she saw the Border Patrol agent and the kid were wrestling and the kid had pulled a knife and was trying to stab the agent.

Everything ended OK (as far as I know) after all of my guys and loads of Border Patrol agents showed up later, but I was thinking... What if you had rolled up on this? I mean, if I had gone over there just two hours earlier I would have shown up in the middle of this. Well, I'd know what I'd do, but it's another (very real) scenario that could happen where you live.

Cheers.

2. Remove Ads

I'm assuming the BP was in uniform? "Alto, p**a!", something similar in Ingles, and if the BG didn't get the message to stop, advance for a clear shot, announcing "Medic!" (well, I can't shout "Police!"..... )

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Its not my problem as a ccw ( assuming its from the information given ) No officer will get a beatdown in my presance just like no child will be abused , but the " border patrol " gets paid by US to sort out this chit . I wont help them do that other than as stated that NO officer NO MATTER what will ever be abused in front of me . and if i " assist" I am aware that i commit assault and will stand on my own feet on that issue , not the " but i was trying to help " whine ... This is a great test of your knoledge of what is permissable i might add lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Uniformed PD get my help if needed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    This is a great test of your knoledge of what is permissable i might add lol .
    I think I follow- you wouldn't run up asking, "Do you want to deputize me?!?!"

VIP Member
    Myself I would call 911 but stick around to be a witness. It might also help to let the kids know that the BP has a backup. But I would not draw unless the BP was defenceless or asking for help.

I would come to the aid of a uniformed LEO, first by calling 911 and then taking whatever steps the situation required. It would depend on the circumstances what form the aid would take, and on the condition of the LEO. I am disinclined to stand by and observe if the officer is in a losing battle. If everything is under control, he (or she) won't need my help.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Lead Moderator
    Go with the guy in uniform!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    I'm assuming the BP was in uniform? "Alto, p**a!", something similar in Ingles, and if the BG didn't get the message to stop, advance for a clear shot, announcing "Medic!" (well, I can't shout "Police!"..... )
    You can always shout "PLEASE STOP!" If they think you said "police", well, they were mistaken! (Just kidding!)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think with the kid drawing a knife on the BP guy I'd be more inclined to help immediately and maybe call 911 after. In this case, I'm guessing the guy had the kid in hand, but if he didn't, I'd want to stop it before the BP guy was shanked.

Assistant Administrator
    I like most would render aid if it appeared appropriate - the guys in uniform can get into tight spots at times and probably welcome help - particularly where their butts are seriously on the line.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well I can tell you what anyone involved with LE will do, including myself even though I'm not a LEO. This is a clear indication of "officer needs assistance immediately". It is the most-feared type of call that any dispatcher will receive and it's the only call and statement that will bring a sea of colors to their aide no matter who they are or what laws they enforce.

LE is family and there is not a damned person that is going to attempt to take the life of me, my family or my extended LE family if I have anything to say about it. Needless to say, the BG's going to learn the alternative definition of "dispatcher". ;O) In such a situation I am pretty sure that no matter what you do, no LEO is going to question you on it (well, maybe shooting them without warning, but baseball bats are fair game lol).

BTW, the commands in Spanish are as follows:

"Alto o disparo" (ALT-O O DEES-PAH-RO) = Stop or I'll shoot.
    "Tire al suelo su arma" (TIER-AY AL SWAY-LO SUE ARM-AH) = Throw your weapon on the ground.
    "Manos arriba" (MAHN-OS AH-REEBA) = Hands up.
    "Cara al suelo" (KAR-AH AL SWAY-LO) = Lie down on the ground.
    "Ponga sus manos detras de su cabeza" (P-OWN-GA SUE-S MAHN-OS DAY-TR-AH-S DAY SUE KAH-BAY-ZAH) = Put your hands behind your head.
    "Suelte ese cuchillo" (SUE-WELT-AY EHS-AY KOO-CHI-O) = Drop that knife.
    "Yo disparo si se acerca" (YO DEES-PAH-ROW SEE SAY AH-SEHR-KA) = I'll shoot if you come any closer.

Cheers.

Definitely would not show my weapon in this case. Any other BP agents that roll up on you getting the drop on this hump of human mass might assume you are aiding in the BG's attempt to hurt the BP agent and shoot you.

Someone trying to kill a BP agent? Put it this way: I'd be cleaning my gun that night. Legal citizen or illegal alien, you don't try to kill a cop and you sure as **** don't do it in front of me. I go from armed and polite to your worst nightmare in less than a second.

There is no time to warn someone when someone is in imminent danger of being killed. It is time to shoot and I will shoot.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I think that again, theres a lot of factors. I would def jump in and try to kick the shank out of his hand or stomp the mexicans groin. Other than that I don't think I'd get involved. I don't know many cops that suck at grappling.

Though if the BG got the upper hand or got a slice in, I'd move to a good position and fire. Though in Arizona, failure to assist an officer who requests it is a crime. And I don't know about any of you guys but I don't think if I could ever live with myself if I stood by while an innocent person, let a lone a cop, requested help and I did nothing.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links