My fiancée just revealed she shot a man

This is a discussion on My fiancée just revealed she shot a man within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Living in Wisconsin with the new CC law going into effect i was discussing us both applying for a CC license here in November with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: My fiancée just revealed she shot a man

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Living in Wisconsin with the new CC law going into effect i was discussing us both applying for a CC license here in November with my fiancée. I knew she is pro carry but for the first time found out just why.

She was 20 years old married to a Nave man and had just moved to an apartment in Oakland California in 1972 with her 1 year old daughter. They had just arrived and her husband had to be on base that first night. He brought along an unregistered 357 mag revolver they got in Oklahoma and had just shown her how to load and shoot it that same day before he left for the base.

Early in the evening while attending to the baby she heard glass breaking. She went to the front room and saw a man standing outside of her window. She quickly retrieved the never tested or used gun and went back to confront the stranger. He was by now half way in side climbing thru the window. She told him to stop that she had a gun and showed him the gun but he kept coming.

She raised the gun (told me she was aiming between his legs) and fired just once. Never having fired the weapon before the recoil kicked back into her forehead and the BG fell back out the window.

Police found the guy a block away with half his knee cap blown away. They never prosecuted him as he was on parole for both aggravated assault as well as rape. (Typical Oakland even then).

Cops were pretty pissed over the unregistered gun issue but the military advocates got that part cleaned up and her husband even got the gun back eventually.

The guy was high on drugs at the time, on parole, and they told her if she had not shot him it would have gone very bad for her and her child. No charges no trial nothing else was ever said or done on either end.

Knee Cap removal was a nice touch but wish she had hit her first choice of targets I think.

Nice to know she could pull the trigger if needed. I'll be a bit nicer to her in the future myself LOL.

Just blew me away to find this out had to share.

BTW she said her ears rang for several weeks after that. She still clearly remembers 3 things. how heave the gun was, the blow to her forehead, and the noise it made in the apartment.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Sounds like a keeper to me.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I'd be asking her if there isn't anything else I should probably know about her past.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'd be asking her if there isn't anything else I should probably know about her past.
    Now in our 60's we both have pasts. What's important to us in life at our ages is not the same as it would be if we were in out 20's. Think I'll not open that bag for personal reasons LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Glad she had the gun and was shown how to use it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Amen to her ears ringing for several weeks afterward. .357's have a way of making their presence in the firing line known. Still laughing at her choice of targets though
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Best wishes in your life together.
    Maverickx50 likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I'd be REAL careful about getting her ticked off...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

LOL, a woman with a proven track record? I would say she is a keeper.
    Secret Spuk and Knightrider like this.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I would take shooting classes together so she can become proficient. The class should bond you more.

On another note, guy is high on drugs, trying to break into a woman's apartment, on parole, etc, etc, etc and they are pissed at your girlfriend for having an unregistered firearm? What am I missing????
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm glad that everything worked out for her and she and her child were not hurt.

Congrats on the engagement!

I was dating one who at one point told me her story. She was home alone and when she came out of the shower into her bedroom, she found 3 men there ..... and they quickly had her cornered in her bedroom (naked). They told her they were going to take turns raping her. She pulled her gun out of the drawer and told them she would "shoot". They didn't believe her and started coming toward her. One had a gun, one had a knife, and the other I don't remember what he had with him or if he did.

She shot all 3 of them. The one with the gun died, the one with the knife was seriously wounded, and the other wounded but not badly.

She wanted me to know. I was rather quiet for a minute, and she asked me "what are you thinking" . My answer: I'm wondering why you didn't reload and that I may need to take you to the range to work on your aim.

She said it still really bothered her that someone died, etc. I don't see how she had much choice but to protect herself. She had been raped once before that and the guy cut her throat left her to bleed out & she had survived, which was the reason she decided to never be a victim again.
    BitReaver likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    Well, I bet that was an interesting conversation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I would take shooting classes together so she can become proficient. The class should bond you more.

On another note, guy is high on drugs, trying to break into a woman's apartment, on parole, etc, etc, etc and they are pissed at your girlfriend for having an unregistered firearm? What am I missing????
    It was/still is Kalifornistan.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

What I find interesting is the irony of her having to use it the very first night! Which just goes to show you that things happen anywhere, at anytime. Good thing she had the gun, and good to know she can pull the trigger.

BTW... I wouldn't break any windows if I were you.

I am very perplexed that absolutely nothing was done towards prosecuting him. Kalifornia or not, that is down right reckless on the part of the prosecutor and a dereliction of duty and to his oath of office.

Best of luck you two. Thanks for sharing that story.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links