Carson City Scenerio

This is a discussion on Carson City Scenerio within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the news today , which unless you live under a rock have probably read, was a sensless shooting of inocent people having a meal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Carson City Scenerio

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal

Carson City Scenerio

In the news today , which unless you live under a rock have probably read, was a sensless shooting of inocent people having a meal at IHOP.

Scenerio 1. Your Howard in this account, except that you have a LTC and are carrying. What do you do?

A couple inside the restaurant, Howard and Ellen MacDonald from Southern California who were visiting family from Carson City, both managed to escape with other customers out of the back door of IHOP when bullets began flying. The MacDonalds said they had been eating their breakfast when they heard several shots being fired, windows breaking and an employee who came out of the kitchen yelling "Get out now!" said Howard MacDonald.

"I'll never forget that sound," said Ellen MacDonald, adding that it was gunshots followed by screams.

Scenerio 2:

Your Ralph, and you have a LTC and are carrying. What do you do?

Across the way at Locals' BBQ, owner Ralph Swagler said witnessed much of the shooting. He said that he and his son were standing outside his restaurant when he saw a man pull into the IHOP parking lot, where he began shooting outside the restaurant. Swagler said he then saw a man on the ground next to a motorcycle, as the male shooter began shooting from the front of the restaurant to the inside. Swagler said the weapon was an assault-style weapon, in which he said the man "fired off an entire clip, reloaded and then walked inside and began shooting."

2. Remove Ads

1. i'd grab wifey and get out of the place.

2. Depends on the range. If the guy were close and distracted i might shoot.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I am Howard, my first responsibly is to get my wife Ellen to to safety.

I am Ralph, I am not LE I do not need to run to the fight. Call 911 and get to cover, don't stand on the sidewalk and watch. Bullets know no boundary.

If I was in the area of the shooter and he was shooting those around me then I am in danger and will take action to stop the threat.
    tcox4freedom and Bark'n like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post

I am Ralph, I am not LE I do not need to run to the fight. Call 911 and get to cover, don't stand on the sidewalk and watch. Bullets know no boundary.

If I was in the area of the shooter and he was shooting those around me then I am in danger and will take action to stop the threat.
    That basically sums it up for me.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am thinking the same. Your first thoughts are the safety of yourself and your family. You are not LE, special ops, Jack Bauer or whomever. Get out and get to safety.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I agree with the previous posters.

On #2, if the range was such that I felt I could make the shot, I would take it. I would also be ready to beat feet in case he was wearing body armor.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Have to agree with the others.

Scenario #1: Get the wife and get out.
    Scenario #2: Take cover and call 911. I'm not going up against a rifle, armed with a handgun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Have one partner arm up, one roll some camera IF and only IF we were far enough away to escape detection but too close to drive off too quickly and draw attention. Be a good witness, but cover yourself. In reality, I think my instinct would be to drive away asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post

This pretty much sums it up for me as well..
    Good Post!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

After getting the wife to safety, I would try to find a safe vantage point to observe the situation.
    There are situations were the bad guy is obviously impaired, either by being intoxicated or mentally ill.
    In that case, you may be able to get in close enough for a disabling shot, and save some lives.

When shooting starts, a lot of people get down (a good idea), but don't access what's going to happen next (a bad idea). They are easy prey
    for someone with a gun who doesn't care.

I get myself and those with me to safety before anything else, if that is possible. If not, take some kind of cover, draw the gun and do what needs to be done. Of course, in Nevada, I would be disarmed, and at this guy's mercy.

I don't picture myself doing anything else but getting out of Dodge. Of course, unless I was on my way to hunt and had a rifle and happened to be in the parking lot. I'm not engaging a guy with a rifle with my handgun unless I just want to make a point before I die.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

eb
    In scenario #1, I get the heck out if at all possible, then take a defensive position at a safe distance and call 911 while instructing those with me to stay low and behind whatever cover we found.

In scenario #2, if I have a clear shot and the attacker is not facing me and at a distance of 10-15 yards or less, I take the shot(s). If he's spotted me, I'm running like hell. If he's too far away for me to feel like I can take him out, I'm finding a defensive position and laying low while calling 911.

In either case, I understand that I am not a former Navy Seal or Rambo. I don't engage a dude with an AK47 unless I'm sure I'm going to win, or I'm in the "mix" so close and personal that I have no choice...
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Wow there are some awesome replies to this thread. Lot of food for thought.

Steelhawk, you can carry in NV,, just send 60$ to AZ for a LTC. :)

An updated account of what Ralph experienced in Scenerio 2.

The gunfire prompted Ralph Swagler, the owner of a nearby barbecue restaurant, to grab his weapon. But when Sencion started toward him, Swagler backed away. "I wish I had shot at him when he was going in the IHOP," said Swagler, who owns Locals BBQ & Grill. "But when he came at me, when somebody is pointing an automatic weapon at you — you can't believe the firepower, the kind of rounds coming out of that weapon."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links