This isnt even funny anymore, time for a career change. - Page 2

This isnt even funny anymore, time for a career change.

This is a discussion on This isnt even funny anymore, time for a career change. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am suprised as a Criminal Lawyer you dont always keep a loaded gun on your person, I know I would......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: This isnt even funny anymore, time for a career change.

I am suprised as a Criminal Lawyer you dont always keep a loaded gun on your person, I know I would...
    NIS350ZTT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    newspaper delivery people don't shine high intensity LED flashlights in your windows.....your radar was right on this one. I would only add to the previous posts and recommend you add a 12ga pump shotgun like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 to your firearms collection if you don't already have one.

Nothing says "Go Away" like the sound of the slide pumping on a shotgun.
    Bingo on the LED.

I really like my Mossberg. I don't agree with you on the sound of racking the slide. The first noise the BG will hear from mine will be BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Let me see........no.
    Paper deliveries in my neighborhood don't pull in, or even stop. They throw the papers from the car window.
    Did you look at the paper? Any notes? Any substances?

If you quit, who will help those who need it?

"It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
    "Never mind, he's on a roll."
    Classic movie.

PB2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I'll see your "sound of the slide pumping" and raise you a snarling rottweiler. Your call.
    Shotguns don't eat you out of house and home, and you don't have to pick up their poop.

Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    Shotguns don't eat you out of house and home, and you don't have to pick up their poop.
    A rottweiler is so mean that, after eating the BG, it will consume its own feces just to get the taste of the BG out of his mouth... Got to get one myself!

you need a dog...

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Keep this job. Keep defending the innocent if you truly believe you are helping. Every job has potential life threatening risks.

Carry where legal and secure your home. If you wake up to a burning cross, call Gene Hackman
    xsigma40cal and Hopyard like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    What was on the page the paper was open to? Was it even the current day's paper? Sounds like somebody was trying to send you a message.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    My only question is why was your gun not loaded and ready to go? That could be a very costly mistake, especially if awakened in the middle of the night. I personally opt for a 12 ga shotty for a home defense gun. While it might be a little messy, it not easy to miss with one (unless your dove hunting).
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    First, as a lawyer you know the value of evidence. Get a GOOD video surveillance system set up. Use 2MB cameras, to create good images should the need arise. Talk to the PD about this and let them tell you what they want for evidence quality.
    If you decide to go this route, I would highly recommend looking at Panasonic IP cameras. They run about $1k (about the same as Axis, Mobotix or the other major brands) and have hands down, the best, image quality I have seen. You could place a few strategically (e.g. one covering the back and one the front) in a vandal proof case and then have them record into a DVR.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Actually, a good outdoor dog that barks at anything that steps inside the perimeter would be a good addition. You'd be forewarned and the BG would know he's been spotted by your forward observer.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I'll see your "sound of the slide pumping" and raise you a snarling rottweiler. Your call.
    Agreed; stay inside, and keep one in the chamber- if it mis-feeds after that, it might not matter so much.

I'll see that, and raise you a Pitt-Bull to your Rottweiler...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

sgb
    A - Stay armed (loaded) 24/7
    B - Invest in a Surveillance system as suggested
    C - Install an alarm (early warning) system with the loudest horn you can get

............... and if you get a shotgun keep a round chambered, only idiots think the sound of racking the slide is going to scare someone away.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    But the rottweiler will snarl even when you aren't home. Self pumping shotguns are a novelty at best.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Let me see........no.
    Paper deliveries in my neighborhood don't pull in, or even stop. They throw the papers from the car window.
    In my neighborhood, they put it in a newspaper box. My only point is that if it was somebody intent on doing harm. They missed their opportunity. It was 5:30 in the morning and the occupant was basically unarmed. Now that they have lit up the house with an LED flashlight and got his spidey senses tingling, he's not going to be as easy a mark. If they intended to leave a message, it wasn't a very clear message; so no bonus points for that either.

I'd stay alert, install a couple of outdoor floods with motion sensors if I didn't already have them, think about getting a dog if it fit with my lifestyle, but I wouldn't go overboard based on one unexplained incident that might have nothing to do with the case that I'm working on.

I would however keep the pistol loaded and close at hand. If nothing else, the incident should have taught that lesson.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links