This isnt even funny anymore, time for a career change.

This is a discussion on This isnt even funny anymore, time for a career change. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, if you all followed my last post, I helped a free-lance client of mine on a pro-bono assignment of putting her ex in jail ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: This isnt even funny anymore, time for a career change.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

Ok, if you all followed my last post, I helped a free-lance client of mine on a pro-bono assignment of putting her ex in jail for nearly killing her. In turn, one of the ex's buddy's approached me in a bar and made his presence known with hostile over-tones. Havent heard anything of "george" or his ilk since that case but now it seems that a threat could be arriving on the radar here pretty soon. And this one is getting way too close for comfort. Keep in mind, I am leaving out some details at my own discretion.

One case that I am working is a 2nd degree murder charge where, my client, a transgendered woman, is accused of inflicting a fatal wound to a middle aged man, who I suspect (I havent confirmed) had affiliations with the Aryan Brotherhood or a similar extremist group. As I have reviewed the discovery packets, conducted interviews, visited the scene of the crime, and made my calculations, I have come to the conclusion that my client is truly innocent and I will serve her interest's to maximum effect. However, there are a great number of people out there who would rather not see my client go free, and I am starting to worry that measure's on their end are taking a new precedent. As of recently with the trial date merely a few weeks away, there have been a number of harassing and even a few threatening voice & emails being thrown around.

Last saturday morning at approx. 5:30 am, Im up bright and early getting ready to tend to the house which has been neglected in the last few weeks due to my work load. As Im walking into my living room, I notice headlights in my driveway as they are bouncing off my curtains with a figure is moving around on my sidewalk. I figure it must be a delivery guy of some sort, but still at this hour, Im naturally suspicious. For a period of better than 1 minute, this individual is bouncing around outside my porch, then proceeds to look around my curtains and into my living room with a high-intensity LED flashlight. Without even thinking twice, I dart back into my room and gas up the XD. While doing this, I actually had a mis-feed, nothing a simple tap and rack couldnt solve but I still lost half a second doing it. I get back out into my living room and witness this figure backing down my driveway(approx 20 yards) at a fast speed and looping around the corner back behind a group of pine trees, obstructing my view. The car sits for another 10 seconds, then pulls halfway in to the front of my neighbor's driveway, sits for 2 seconds, backs out and speeds down my street while still in reverse. I go out on to my porch to search if anything is missing or perhaps left behind and I find half of a Star-Tribune paper left on my porch. Seemingly innocent except that Im not a subscriber. Still armed and still in my pajamas, I go outside to see that no paper was left anywhere on my neighbors driveway. Promptly, I call my local PD and a squad was sent out to take my report. The officer immediately agreed that is extremely suspicious activity. I let the officer know of my occupation and my current professional situation, so what Im facing is well documented in the event of a shooting. It very well could just be a confused delivery boy, but if looks, smells, and tastes like sweet-oven fresh cookies, experience tells me it probably is.

But the never the less, I prefer to keep my defensive rounds in my gun and not being sent down range. Im gonna keep this case that Im on and thats that. But this will be the last criminal case Im doing. Give me a nice, boring, real estate lawsuit. Ill keep y'all posted if somethin comes up.

2. Remove Ads

Why was your firearm unloaded? Do you have children in the house?

I suggest a driveway monitor to alert you of anyone pulling in.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    That does sound awfully suspicious. My only arm chair QB advice is to not leave your house before you called the cops. All your advantage in your situation was lost the second you stepped out the door. Keep one in the chamber, and stay safe.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

It's certainly suspicious, but my gut tells me that the majority of bad guys don't operate at 5:30 in the morning. People who actually work for a living are out at that hour. Maybe it was a new newspaper guy who is not familiar with the route. Stay vigilant and stay safe.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

If it was a BG, why were the headlights on, why did he silhouette himself in the headlights, why at 5:30 AM...............Hmmmmmmmm..................Why no message........

newspaper delivery people don't shine high intensity LED flashlights in your windows.....your radar was right on this one. I would only add to the previous posts and recommend you add a 12ga pump shotgun like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 to your firearms collection if you don't already have one.

Nothing says "Go Away" like the sound of the slide pumping on a shotgun.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

you're a lawyer you shouldn't need to be told this but document everything, go down to your local PD, see someone in charge, show him any evidence you've collected and recount this incident, maybe they'll step up patrols and respond a bit faster if you do call something in, in addition you may want to make these threats part of the case by alerting the court as to what is going on. None of this will stop an attack but if you do need to defend yourself have the harassment documented may be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Nothing says "Go Away" like the sound of the slide pumping on a shotgun.
    I'll see your "sound of the slide pumping" and raise you a snarling rottweiler. Your call.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    First of all "Sure" there are people that want her convicted for reasons even beyond truth or guilt. There always is and one thing I've learned the hard way is no mater what or where you only get the justice you can afford. Unless lucky enough to find a man like you who cares enough to go beyond the call of duty. But still handicapped by lack of $ it will always be a crap shoot.

Second: An unloaded gun is worse than a rock. If you not going to keep it loaded then pick up a rock or two and keep them handy.

Third: like the BG said in the movie "yes but they have relatives, they always do" BG have bad relatives & friends. Just another reason to be a tax lawyer instead of a criminal lawyer. OR: Keep that darn gun close and loaded.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

My first thought when you mentioned the Star-Tribune newspaper was that it was booby trapped. Maybe they were hoping you'd take it inside thinking it was a free sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I'll see your "sound of the slide pumping" and raise you a snarling rottweiler. Your call.
    How about both?!?!?!
    zonker1986 likes this.

First, I have to say I admire your dedication to your client and the profession. Keep up the good work.

But I have to offer a real criticism here: you can afford a simple picket fence with an automatic gate opener.
    That is the single best perimeter security a house can have.
    And, as I believe that you are an attorney in criminal law, you know that the fence and gate are your best defense against a rogue police officer (which isn't all that rare these days).

Look on eBay for automatic gate openers. The whole thing can go in over a weekend, and I can't tell you how much grief these things have prevented for me.
    Sure the bad guy can hop your 5 foot fence. That just proves his intent right there.
    I wouldn't give up my firearms, but I sure would trade one or two for a fence and gate.

G.
    P.S. Charge the college kid with the DUI a little extra to pay for it. His dad can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Ok, if you all followed my last post, I helped a free-lance client of mine on a pro-bono assignment of putting her ex in jail for nearly killing her. In turn, one of the ex's buddy's approached me in a bar and made his presence known with hostile over-tones. Havent heard anything of "george" or his ilk since that case but now it seems that a threat could be arriving on the radar here pretty soon. And this one is getting way too close for comfort. Keep in mind, I am leaving out some details at my own discretion.

One case that I am working is a 2nd degree murder charge where, my client, a transgendered woman, is accused of inflicting a fatal wound to a middle aged man, who I suspect (I havent confirmed) had affiliations with the Aryan Brotherhood or a similar extremist group. As I have reviewed the discovery packets, conducted interviews, visited the scene of the crime, and made my calculations, I have come to the conclusion that my client is truly innocent and I will serve her interest's to maximum effect. However, there are a great number of people out there who would rather not see my client go free, and I am starting to worry that measure's on their end are taking a new precedent. As of recently with the trial date merely a few weeks away, there have been a number of harassing and even a few threatening voice & emails being thrown around.

Last saturday morning at approx. 5:30 am, Im up bright and early getting ready to tend to the house which has been neglected in the last few weeks due to my work load. As Im walking into my living room, I notice headlights in my driveway as they are bouncing off my curtains with a figure is moving around on my sidewalk. I figure it must be a delivery guy of some sort, but still at this hour, Im naturally suspicious. For a period of better than 1 minute, this individual is bouncing around outside my porch, then proceeds to look around my curtains and into my living room with a high-intensity LED flashlight. Without even thinking twice, I dart back into my room and gas up the XD. While doing this, I actually had a mis-feed, nothing a simple tap and rack couldnt solve but I still lost half a second doing it. I get back out into my living room and witness this figure backing down my driveway(approx 20 yards) at a fast speed and looping around the corner back behind a group of pine trees, obstructing my view. The car sits for another 10 seconds, then pulls halfway in to the front of my neighbor's driveway, sits for 2 seconds, backs out and speeds down my street while still in reverse. I go out on to my porch to search if anything is missing or perhaps left behind and I find half of a Star-Tribune paper left on my porch. Seemingly innocent except that Im not a subscriber. Still armed and still in my pajamas, I go outside to see that no paper was left anywhere on my neighbors driveway. Promptly, I call my local PD and a squad was sent out to take my report. The officer immediately agreed that is extremely suspicious activity. I let the officer know of my occupation and my current professional situation, so what Im facing is well documented in the event of a shooting. It very well could just be a confused delivery boy, but if looks, smells, and tastes like sweet-oven fresh cookies, experience tells me it probably is.

But the never the less, I prefer to keep my defensive rounds in my gun and not being sent down range. Im gonna keep this case that Im on and thats that. But this will be the last criminal case Im doing. Give me a nice, boring, real estate lawsuit. Ill keep y'all posted if somethin comes up.
    Or, if any of your other cases are similar, you could write some novels! Good luck.

First, as a lawyer you know the value of evidence. Get a GOOD video surveillance system set up. Use 2MB cameras, to create good images should the need arise. Talk to the PD about this and let them tell you what they want for evidence quality. Arrange the coverage so it overlaps and covers any approach to your home. Set it up so you can view it live or taped on any TV in your home, plus your smart phone or iPhone and iPad. This is a great way to scare off potential threats or, if you find any cameras damaged, to confirm that you are targeted.

Second, WHY are you having to rack the slide to load a round in the chamber? If you have children in the house, keep the gun in a bedside safe, like a GunVault. But keep it loaded and ready to rock.

Last, have a good 12g shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot and ready to go. If/when SHTF and you have to save your own life, you won't be able to slow down their assault so you can prepare yourself for the fight. And make sure you know how to use all your weaponry. Game time is no time to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Maybe it was a new newspaper guy who is not familiar with the route.
    Let me see........no.
    Paper deliveries in my neighborhood don't pull in, or even stop. They throw the papers from the car window.
    Did you look at the paper? Any notes? Any substances?

If you quit, who will help those who need it?

"It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor?"
    "Never mind, he's on a roll."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links