Is It Just Me? - Page 2

Is It Just Me?

This is a discussion on Is It Just Me? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; - I'm thinking that yelling back at them may not be the best response. To do so will probably give them what they wanted - ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Is It Just Me?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I'm thinking that yelling back at them may not be the best response. To do so will probably give them what they wanted - a (lame) excuse to further engage you.

I'd give 'em full eye contact...& a smile, all while still ambling down the road. It gives them two things: A sign that you aren't ignoring their yelps; & something they don't expect. Also, & as a minor pleasure to me, most people who are trying to piss you off don't like such an adverse response to their taunts.

One more good reason not to hollar back - should you need to defend yourself at some point, anyone else in the vicinity hearing you call back to the aggressors would be able to testify that you did so, possibly coloring you as someone who wanted to provoke the attack.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Senior Moderator
    I've never been hot-headed or taken particular offense to anything anyone says to me. Almost to a fault. But even unarmed I don't see the point of responding to derogatory remarks... that is, after all, what the "bad guys" want. They want a reaction. That's why they are saying what they say. They want it to tick you off and they want you to respond and "disrespect" them so they have an excuse to escalate the situation.

Why give them the satisfaction? Even if it turns out that you win the fight you still stooped to their level by giving them the fight they were looking for.

If they want to bring the fight to me... okay.. let's go, but they are going to have to bring it ALL THE WAY.. I'm not going to egg em' on or give them even the most temporary of satisfaction in knowing they've bugged me.

It would be very hard for me not to yell back .

Haveing said that if they came running at me its on

There's an old saying... biblically old, I guess... "...Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." 1

It's been shortened often to "Pride goeth before a fall." or "Foolish pride goeth before a fall."

I'm sure there was a time when we were all a bit foolishly prideful, I know I have been. And maybe it seems not so "foolish" if you have the means to back it up. But with a bit more sagacity (acquired through age and some of that foolish pride, corrected), I've learned it ain't worth it...

I love QKShooter's old African saying.

See, some idiot, or a car full of 'em, thinks "They all that." And thinks I ain't... That's fine with me. They'll leave me alone.

They choose not to leave me alone, that's a different story. They can do whatever they man enough to do. If all that is, is yellin'.... why... that ain't nuthin'. And, surely ain't worth me gettin' my shoes wet over.

1 Proverbs 16:18 ( I looked it up)
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Is it just me, or are people just unwilling to protect themselves, or are they just so blind as to whats going on in the world they are easy victims. I see many posts where people seem to be completely oblivious to their surroundings and they become the next victim.

Recently in Wichita, KS two men were walking down a sidewalk when four men in a car drove by and yelled some derogatory remarks. The two men walking yelled back at them (maybe not the smart thing to do).
    The four men in the car stopped as well as two men in another car.
    To make a long story short all six men chased down the two men that were walking and beat them.
    Naturally as all chickens do they ran back to their cars a drove away after they beat their victims.

My wife asked me what would I do?

Maybe I am looking for a fight, but I don't feel that I am.
    I'm just tired of these thugs having their way with people whom can't or won't protect them selves.

I may or may not yell back just depends on how I feel that day and whom I'm with. If I yelled back and they stopped, and came running at me, I'd drop the first two when they got within 10-12ft of me and I'd hope the other four were dumb enough to keep coming.
    I want this to be a very one sided story.

I realize I'll never know the exact situation these fellows were in, but I sure hope if something like this happens to me I keep my composure and drop them dead in their tracks for the crime they are about to commit.

I'll be honest I have NO MERCY for these type of people.
    They have chosen their path, and I mine

How would you handle six unarmed hostile attackers in a similar situation?
    Posts like this can and will be used against you in a court of law, especially the bolded parts.

Plus your avatar doesn't lend credence to your being a mature or stable individual.

Sometimes I have to wonder if people really pay attention to what they are posting on forums.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Forgot to write...

Don't yell back and instigate anything. When carrying a gun it is our responsiblity to not further instigate any violence. If they are unarmed and you are, guess who's going to have to defend themselves in this modern PC age?

If a person can't walk away from a jerk they shouldn't carry a gun.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

In NC, unless in your own home if they are unarmed, then deadly force may not be legal. You have to have a threat of imminent death or serious injury or sexual assault. In my CHP class they pointed out that physical attacks may not always constitute a deadly threat, given its very much a grey area as to when the threat is "deadly". One well placed kick could render you brain-dead.

I feel like I would probably draw for sure, early enough for them to think about it. If shots were fired, it would probably have to go to a jury.
    ASSA9 likes this.

Disparity of Force!
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Posts like this can and will be used against you in a court of law, especially the bolded parts.

Plus your avatar doesn't lend credence to your being a mature or stable individual.

Sometimes I have to wonder if people really pay attention to what they are posting on forums.
    I guess I'm not all that concerned about ending up in court. I'm laid back, but obviosly not laid back enough. If my wife and kids were with me I would not yell back, as a matter of fact 95% of the time I bite my tongue even when I'm alone. I always have always will. If its not the right thing to do it is the polite thing to do. Its the quiet guy in the corner you have to watch. I'm not going to show the thugs my cards until I know we are playing his game. I CC responsibly that doesn't mean I have to run from everyone. It does mean I need to know my rights, the laws as they are written and understood in KS.

This is a scenairio, and mayde I am learning a thing or two, maybe not.
    Last edited by ConcealedG30; September 8th, 2011 at 10:30 AM.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Administrator
    It is always good to remember that the street is an unmanaged and uncontrolled environment. Strange and bizarre things happen with high velocity discharged bullets with regard to ricochet or where exactly they end up.
    Public places are never an outdoor shooting range.

Two past incidents that I remember...one was a legitimately fired bullet passing through a bank front window and winding up in the head (temple) of a young female that was a passenger in a vehicle going down the street.

Another was an LEO fired bullet that ricocheted off a street lamp post and maimed an innocent a half a city block away.

Unavoidable and completely unexpected bad things sometimes happen with discharged projectiles.

Of course. Always defend your life if you must do so but, do not help to create a situation just so that you can use a firearm to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by jprime84 View Post
    In NC, unless in your own home if they are unarmed, then deadly force may not be legal. You have to have a threat of imminent death or serious injury or sexual assault. In my CHP class they pointed out that physical attacks may not always constitute a deadly threat, given its very much a grey area as to when the threat is "deadly". One well placed kick could render you brain-dead.

I feel like I would probably draw for sure, early enough for them to think about it. If shots were fired, it would probably have to go to a jury.
    I believe that six guys of a different race getting out of two different cars and coming at you in an aggressive nature after hollering derogatory remarks warrants a good but whooping. I carry a knife and two guns. I usually leave the sticks and harsh words at home.

Quote Originally Posted by qkshooter View Post
    it is always good to remember that the street is an unmanaged and uncontrolled environment. Strange and bizarre things happen with high velocity discharged bullets with regard to ricochet or where exactly they end up.
    Public places are never an outdoor shooting range.

Two past incidents that i remember...one was a legitimately fired bullet passing through a bank front window and winding up in the head (temple) of a young female that was a passenger in a vehicle going down the street.

Another was an leo fired bullet that ricocheted off a street lamp post and maimed an innocent a half a city block away.

Unavoidable and completely unexpected bad things sometimes happen with discharged projectiles.

Of course. Always defend your life if you must do so but, do not help to create a situation just so that you can use a firearm to end it.
    Firmly Agree 100%

eb
    If anyone hasn't seen this guy's youtube video, I'd recommend it. Like him or not, he makes some incredibly good and well thought out points about carry in general, as well as avoiding an escalation of a situation as we're talking about here. I know I gained a bit of food for thought from it myself...

"The Concealed Carry Protocol" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    It would be very hard for me not to yell back .

Haveing said that if they came running at me its on
    Even someone running at you might not be justification. What if they stop short and just stand there yelling their fool heads off?

I've been on the receiving end of that. It is a tough decision whether or not to retreat, stand there, strike the first blow, side step, whatever.

Every situation is so different, and peoples personalities and quirks are so different, it is really hard to come up with fool proof guidelines.

I have made up my mind that if at all possible I will absorb any and all verbal crap (it cost nothing), and either accept the first blow or use my H2H skills to stop it. Gun will be the last resort saved for when a weapon is presented or their is too much force disparity-- which at my age is almost always. I'm tempted to make the obvious wise crack--'don't start a fight with an old man, he'll just kill you," but doing that is the last thing I would want. So, I'm going to keep my mouth shut. Keep my posture as un - threatening as possible, and deal with what unfolds split second by split second.

In the one and only serious incident I've ever had, not too long ago actually, the crazy guy suddenly got religion
    when he realized I wasn't going to retreat and he thought I was going for a weapon-which I wasn't. I just put my hand in my pocket to get my cell phone. He obviously thought something else was in that pocket as his eyes turned big as saucers and he ran off.
    Last edited by Hopyard; September 7th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
    steelhawk and RoadKill like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

As many have said, don't yell insults back. Either ignore them or look them in the eye and smile. Whatever you do, though, keep a watch on them in case they decide to do you harm. Six of them are too many for one person to deal with. If they come at you, try to get away. If you can't and they don't respond to verbal commands to stop, you may have to draw.

Six against one are bad odds even with a gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links