Is It Just Me?

Is It Just Me?

This is a discussion on Is It Just Me? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it just me, or are people just unwilling to protect themselves, or are they just so blind as to whats going on in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Is It Just Me?

Is It Just Me?

Is it just me, or are people just unwilling to protect themselves, or are they just so blind as to whats going on in the world they are easy victims. I see many posts where people seem to be completely oblivious to their surroundings and they become the next victim.

Recently in Wichita, KS two men were walking down a sidewalk when four men in a car drove by and yelled some derogatory remarks. The two men walking yelled back at them (maybe not the smart thing to do).
    The four men in the car stopped as well as two men in another car.
    To make a long story short all six men chased down the two men that were walking and beat them.
    Naturally as all chickens do they ran back to their cars a drove away after they beat their victims.

My wife asked me what would I do?

Maybe I am looking for a fight, but I don't feel that I am.
    I'm just tired of these thugs having their way with people whom can't or won't protect them selves.

I may or may not yell back just depends on how I feel that day and whom I'm with. If I yelled back and they stopped, and came running at me, I'd drop the first two when they got within 10-12ft of me and I'd hope the other four were dumb enough to keep coming.
    I want this to be a very one sided story.

I realize I'll never know the exact situation these fellows were in, but I sure hope if something like this happens to me I keep my composure and drop them dead in their tracks for the crime they are about to commit.

I'll be honest I have NO MERCY for these type of people.
    They have chosen their path, and I mine

How would you handle six unarmed hostile attackers in a similar situation?
    Last edited by ConcealedG30; September 7th, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I would not yell back at them.

I would draw down and challenge them at about 20 to 25 feet. If they came on or produced weapons, some people would get shot. I have had twenty or better people coming down on me and they quickly decided that they had business elsewhere with the display of a weapon and convincing dialog.

I have no desire to shoot/kill any (more) people, nor am I reluctant to do so if required.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

eb
    While I would have yelled back years ago, now that I carry I'm cool, collected and friendly. I don't want to trigger an altercation knowing I have a gun. My assumption is this wouldn't play well in court. I will defend myself without hesitation, but its a much better day when I don't have to...

VIP Member
    I'd ignore their yells. Now if they stop anyways and get out of the vehicle making their way towards me, they can explain their intentions to the .45 rounds I have for them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like I am still HOT HEADED. I guess I'll have to work on it.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

could the incident cited be gang related? if so then you must realize that there are different dynamics involved.
    how you would react and what you would do is irrelevant in that kind of situation because ( and I am assuming you are not a gang banger)more than likely something like that would almost never happen to you

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd ignore their yells. Now if they stop anyways and get out of the vehicle making their way towards me, they can explain their intentions to the .45 rounds I have for them.
    I am not looking to provoke a battle with you but can you justify shooting them for trying to intimidate you?

Kansas Statute 21-3209: Compulsion.

(1) A person is not guilty of a crime other than murder or voluntary manslaughter by reason of conduct which he performs under the compulsion or threat of the imminent infliction of death or great bodily harm, if he reasonably believes that death or great bodily harm will be inflicted upon him or upon his spouse, parent, child, brother or sister if he does not perform such conduct.

<b>(2) The defense provided by this section is not available to one who willfully or wantonly places himself in a situation in which it is probable that he will be subjected to compulsion or threat. </b>

I would have to agree with those who have said they would not response to the taunts. Given (2) above, some over zealous DA might decide that someone shouting back " willfully or wantonly places himself in a situation in which it is probable that he will be subjected to compulsion or threat".

However, regardless of how it started, if I were about to be bum rushed by 6 bad guys, I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself with whatever means I have available, my own concealed G30!

Administrator
    You must place yourself and your mind above the air wasting scumbags of the Earth.
    Simply change your mind-set.
    Think of their yelling as being anonymous little dogs yapping.

There is a centuries old African saying that will help you out.

The Lion Does Not Bother To Turn Around When The Small Dog Barks.

Or let's change the scenario a bit because "Lady Luck" always needs to be factored into any potential deadly threat scenario.

Four men are in a vehicle driving down the street. They start yelling derogatory remarks at you and your better half.
    You yell some cuss words back at them & flash them the bird - and that really pisses one of them off.
    He immediately raises a sawed off shotgun and blasts off six quick unaimed rounds out the vehicle window and in your general direction.
    Your training "kicks in" & you are quick to react but, unfortunately your Wife is not quite as quick to react.
    Two other scumbags instantly jump out from the vehicle behind and you manage to quickly draw your weapon and "take them out" with good solid hits Center Of Mass.
    The other vehicle containing the four scumbags speeds off but, you are unable to get a plate number.
    Now (of course) you do the right thing & frantically call 911 & request Police & an Ambulance while you are rendering First Aid to your better half.
    She ultimately survives but will be paralyzed for life & relegated to a wheelchair.
    To your credit....You were initially charged with Murder but, the Homicide Investigators & the D.A. ultimately determined that it was A Good Shoot.
    You took two total dirt-bags off the face of the Earth. Your firearm is returned to you.
    You don't even lose your license to carry.

Who do you share that triumph with when you go to sleep every night wondering...
    "What If Maybe I DIDN'T Flash Those Guys That F.U. Finger That Fateful Day?"
    "Would My Wife Be Walking Into The Kids Room To Tuck Them In Right Now...Instead Of Wheeling Herself Over To Me So That I Can Change Her SaniPants?"

You'll just never know for sure.

When you are actually threatened with losing your life that is soon enough to react with deadly force.
    Lady Luck will still be watching and the "chips" will still fall wherever & however they will fall but, at least you'll know that you didn't do anything really dumb and stupid to escalate the situation.

Always remember that you can 100% RIGHT and still end up 100% dead.
    GM, WHEC724, wmhawth and 5 others like this.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Sounds like I am still HOT HEADED. I guess I'll have to work on it.
    QKShooter (post #8) is 100% right, "You must place yourself and your mind above the air wasting scumbags of the Earth. Simply change your mind-set ..."

IMO, yelling back "depending on how you feel that day" should be a huge mistake.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Back to your original question.....

Is it just me, or are people just unwilling to protect themselves, or are they just so blind as to whats going on in the world they are easy victims. I see many posts where people seem to be completely oblivious to their surroundings and they become the next victim.

No, it's not just you. I see people every day walking and texting, jogging with ear buds in their ears and the Ipod cranked up, chatting away on their cell phones, etc. They get struck by cars that they never "saw", or get purses snatched, or get mugged because they have reduced their situational awareness to zero.

As far as yelling back at a bunch of guys taunting you when you are out numbered? Nah, that wouldn't be the smart thing to do, gun or no gun.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'd probably have given the one finger salute. Or replied with some clever retort. I probably would have been beaten up. Though I cant see this happening outside a gang, or racially motivated situation. Dont think I would have fired at them until I felt myself blacking out or loosing control of myself.

VIP Member
    Yelling back is something I use to do before shooting people became a fad. These days' I just eat my pride and stay prepared. If I'm confronted in a life threatening manner, then its show n' tell.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Ask yourself this. Are you willing to kill someone because of what they yelled at you? Because if you are carrying a weapon and escalate the situation by answering back to them that is what may happen.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Yelling back is something I use to do before shooting people became a fad. These days' I just eat my pride and stay prepared. If I'm confronted in a life threatening manner, then its show n' tell.
    Words of wisdom. Do not yell back, answer back, argue, point the middle finger, provoke. Too many crazy people
    in this world. Better to just keep watch on their movements, body language, and facial expressions, and be ready as Saber put it for show n tell.
    Last edited by Hopyard; September 7th, 2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    rammerjammer and RoadKill like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I certainly hope you never have to use your weapon in self defense. This very thread might be used in court to paint you as a hothead vigilante just waiting to bust a cap in somebodys arse. Just saying.....
    MadMac and rammerjammer like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links