Interesting and VERY Hypothetical Scenario - Page 2

Interesting and VERY Hypothetical Scenario

This is a discussion on Interesting and VERY Hypothetical Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes Depending on your specific activity and the level of threat your perceive, there are a number of options, some already mentioned. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Interesting and VERY Hypothetical Scenario

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Depending on your specific activity and the level of threat your perceive, there are a number of options, some already mentioned. There is also the gas pump hose in your hand if you are fueling up.
    Exactly my first thought. I always keep my weak hand on the nozzle of the pump while I'm gassing up. At full pressure, gas should squirt at least 10 feet. That's far enough to hold him off until I can get in my vehicle to call 911.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Im running around the car, he will pass out soon enough. No need to shoot him, call 911 and try to help after he goes down...
    Thats my answer too. If he cut an artery, it wont take long for him to drop on his own.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I dunno guys. He is only about 1-2 seconds away from you. I really do not think there is enough reaction time to get in your car before he is all over you. My first thought is to put some distance between him and me. If he is bleeding that badly, he won't last long.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Might try a good shot of gasoline to see if it might stop his bleeding, if that fails well just help him cauterize the self inflected wound.

Bad idea I know, but the gas nozzle is a good defense at a gas station.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

You need a hobby, you've got too much time on your hands..you all sound like a bunch of twelve year old girls at a pajama party.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Strange post!

Quote Originally Posted by IPman View Post
    Arkhm: Not planning anything! I have been lurking here for a while (love the site) and me and a few buddies came up with this scenario while drinking. It sounded interesting and funny so I decided to share it
    First of all...if you think someone committing suicide is "funny" then you are seriously one sick son of a beech. Seeing it done successfully just once will change your whole world.

Second, in my professional opinion, if he has cut one of his arteries then I see no need to shoot him. Just run away from him. If he comes running after you that will increase his heart rate which will in turn increase the rate at which he bleeds outs.

If he cut himself good and is doing nothing to attempt to control the bleeding then it shouldn't be too long before he starts getting light headed/woozy and is unable to continue chasing you and/or passes out.

Above all else, your only obligation is to yourself and your own personal safety.

If I saw this go down while I was off duty and the events unfolded as I have described I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Good rule of thumb...."If its wet or sticky and isn't yours, don't touch it."
    Bark'n and garyacman like this.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Quote Originally Posted by IPman View Post
    So the following scenario is very ridiculous and would probably never happen, but bear with me.
    Here goes:
    So you are at a gas station and you notice someone who seems absolutely normal, and for this reason your guard may be down a little. He is more then 20 feet away and is not doing anything to alert you.
    But all of a sudden the guy pulls out a knife and cuts his wrists deep enough to knick the arteries.
    Blood is literally squirting everywhere. The guy then drops the knife and starts running at you with the intent of getting his blood on you.
    Now what do you do?
    For all you know this guy could have full blown AIDS and he just wants someone else to share his fate…
    I guess I am wondering if this would warrant the use of deadly force.

Thoughts?
    Duck, dodge and run.

Having good footwork helps a lot too.

He's got an arterial bleed. If you are in good shape, he's not gonna last a minute before he is toast and you can get back to your business...and get a carwash.

I would probably try and help him. If I am in my car or near it I know I have a full trauma kit. I would probably try and defuse the situation with some "can I help you" talk, put on gloves and go to work.

Im assuming no knife and he is compliant. If he isnt well, I dunno then. If hes bleeding that badly I should win the fight anyways and I think most EMTs, Emergency Responders have had to deal with combative patients. If it gets totally out of hand, well it happens. I would obviously have dialed 911 immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    I would probably try and help him. If I am in my car or near it I know I have a full trauma kit. I would probably try and defuse the situation with some "can I help you" talk, put on gloves and go to work.

Im assuming no knife and he is compliant. If he isnt well, I dunno then. If hes bleeding that badly I should win the fight anyways and I think most EMTs, Emergency Responders have had to deal with combative patients. If it gets totally out of hand, well it happens. I would obviously have dialed 911 immediately.
    He intentionally cut himself, so no, he's not well. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    He'd have to follow me around and around my vehicle until he turned into butter! Any old guys on here that know where that came from?
    LBS?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Knife, no knife...bleeding, not bleeding...come running at this old guy in a gas station at night and ignore my warning to stop? Your loss...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would likely only try to help AFTER LEO's are on scene and can control him.

I have enough trauma stuff in my car to deal with his bleeding, but I'm not getting involved with a suicidal/mental patient until the police are on the scene.
    Medic218 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Exactly my first thought. I always keep my weak hand on the nozzle of the pump while I'm gassing up. At full pressure, gas should squirt at least 10 feet. That's far enough to hold him off until I can get in my vehicle to call 911.
    First off, I doubt gas would shoot that far. My garden hose will not shoot ten feet unless I put my finger over the end to delvelop pressure. I believe standard house water pressure is about 35 psi. I don't think gas pumps put out quite that much. I don't plan on placing my finger in the gas stream and getting myself covered in gas incase this nut pulls a lighter out.

Also spraying the guy with gas might deter him, it might not. The gas stream sure wouldn't have enough force to drive him back or knock him down. I think retreating around the car or into the car if there is time is the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    First off, I doubt gas would shoot that far. My garden hose will not shoot ten feet unless I put my finger over the end to delvelop pressure. I believe standard house water pressure is about 35 psi. I don't think gas pumps put out quite that much. I don't plan on placing my finger in the gas stream and getting myself covered in gas incase this nut pulls a lighter out.

Also spraying the guy with gas might deter him, it might not. The gas stream sure wouldn't have enough force to drive him back or knock him down. I think retreating around the car or into the car if there is time is the best bet.
    Also, maybe hes a smoker....you douse him in fuel and then he lights himself up like the relief valve on the top of an oil refinery.
    I probably wouldn't lose any sleep over it seeing as how he was suicidal anyways but its not something I would want to witness or know I was a part of.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links